Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 07-10-2018, 02:45 AM   #1
RedRooster
RedRooster began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 3
How to download books from Content Server to Kindle via USB cable?

I have a Kindle Paperwhite whose wi-fi functionality no longer works. It's easy to transfer books to it via USB cable using the Calibre GUI. How can I do this using the Calibre Content Server?
RedRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:59 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If the wifi is not working how are you going to access the content server, or indeed any server on your kindle?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2018, 03:09 AM   #3
RedRooster

I was hoping to access Content Server on PC, and download from there to Kindle via USB cable.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:20 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRooster View Post
I was hoping to access Content Server on PC, and download from there to Kindle via USB cable.
you need a network connection of some sort to use the Content Server!

If you are on the PC why do you not want to use the Calibre GUI which is the normal way to transfer via USB?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #5
RedRooster

Because Calibre GUI isn't multi-user safe.
Advert
Old 07-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Uh! The Download button downloads to wherever your browser puts things.
I use Firefox and I set a 'Download' folder., But I could have set it to "ask" me every time and then I could selected the "connected devices folder" (see pic)

Other mainstream browsers have similar settings
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FF DL loc.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	164976  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:31 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
IIRC You can't connect to the content server via USB connection, but you can connect to the calibre GUI via USB. Simply turn off the content server. Connect via USB, do your business, then turn the content server back on. No conflicts.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:51 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
IIRC You can't connect to the content server via USB connection
If you can enable USB networking on the device, it can probably be done. But personally, that seems like to much work. Just leave the GUI running with the server enabled. When you connect the device, use the GUI to get books on it. Otherwise, use a browser to get to the server.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:50 AM   #9
RedRooster

All that is very doable – for me. My wife is less computer literate, and if she's downloading using the GUI on her machine, while the server (and perhaps GUI) are running on mine, there could be trouble.

Thank you theducks – that worked. I was thinking that some additional magic was being worked when loading a book to a device (conversion or renaming or something), but using the Download button on the server, and targeting the Kindle \Documents folder worked. Problem solved!

Thanks all.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:06 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
If you run the content server from within the calibre GUI it is perfectly multi-user safe. You can plug in devices and send books to them while the server is running with no issues.

The only multi-user issues occur if you try to have multiple different programs access the library at the same time. such as the calibre GUI and a separate calibre server process.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote