Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #181
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Flat Broke with Two Goats

I started reading an interesting book once I got the current month's selection finally finished. I wanted a clean break and something totally NOT the same, so I opted for a book that's been an unlimited download from the BC Public Library for a couple of months, along with a discussion group around it. Flat Broke with Two Goats, by Jennifer McGaha. A memoir of her change from upwardly mobile middle class, to living in a 100 year old cabin in a North Carolina holler with less than $10 in their bank account (and a huge back taxes bill.)

I honestly didn't know what to expect from this book, and I doubt I would have ever chosen to read it on my own, but it's turned out to be a delightful book. Sometimes funny, often sad, and remarkably informative about the problems of living in reduced circumstances and the effects that has on relationships and expectations. This one is going into my top ten for the year.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:45 PM   #182
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
an unlimited download from the BC Public Library for a couple of months .
It's always available as is the audiobook at US OverDrive also, at least in my four libraries in three states, which I interpret to mean all over.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #183
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Excellent, I had no way to verify since I don't any longer have a US library. Given it's free, definitely recommended.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #184
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The book is a selection of the Big Library Read program, which is available to all Overdrive partners worldwide. They market it as "the first global ebook club through your library."
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:00 PM   #185
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, B_G.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:24 PM   #186
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
The book is a selection of the Big Library Read program, which is available to all Overdrive partners worldwide. They market it as "the first global ebook club through your library."
I knew it was a Big Library Read, but had no idea what that meant. I was surprised that the BC Library was promoting a read on a book about North Carolina, but didn't really think much more about it. Now it starts to make a bit more sense. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:21 PM   #187
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's a list of books to read now before they become movies. It's quite diverse.

https://www.popsugar.com/entertainme...-List-32193133
Old 04-17-2018, 05:40 PM   #188
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Here's a list of books to read now before they become movies. It's quite diverse.

https://www.popsugar.com/entertainme...-List-32193133
Thanks for that. I'm quite excited to see On Chesil Beach - it was my first McEwan book and had a lasting impression on me.

Also Love May Fail I read last month and enjoyed it.

There's a few more there on my TBR pile.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:06 PM   #189
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Thanks for that. I'm quite excited to see On Chesil Beach - it was my first McEwan book and had a lasting impression on me.
I am somewhat puzzled as to how they are going to adapt this. It has been a few years since I read the book, but I remember very little dialogue and a lot of internal strife.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:54 AM   #190
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
[Flat Broke with Two Goats] is a selection of the Big Library Read program, which is available to all Overdrive partners worldwide. They market it as "the first global ebook club through your library."
I noticed this morning that it's no longer available.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:49 AM   #191
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

The discussion for the book is over:
Quote:
Big Library Read is featuring Flat Broke with Two Goats April 2 - 16, 2018. Join the discussion to connect with readers everywhere. The discussion board will be active until April 23, 2018.
The next book will be discussed June/July. You can find out information on their website biglibraryread.com.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:19 PM   #192
CRussel
(he/him/his)

As was mentioned in the current nomination thread, I think we might have fun with a children's book category -- book we remember fondly, that we now think might be worth a revisit as adults to see how they've fared, and what we see differently looking at them with adult eyes. I know I'd like another actual read of one or more of the L. Frank Baum Oz books. These were the delight of my youth (My father had a full set of them, with the original illustrations, and at some point I discovered, and devoured, them.)
Old 06-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #193
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I'd imagine everyone here would have been a childhood reader. It would be fun in any case to find out the books people loved as kids and which still resonate. Duly noting the suggestion of kidlit as a theme, I think it might also be a good discussion for the welcome thread. (How many threads can I chase you to, Charlie? )
Old 06-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #194
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
My daughter is 10 and a very voracious reader (yay!), with that as a theme I could ask her for a few of her favorites too. Some of them could make for a very interesting book selection.

(One of her favorites is My Side of the Mountain right now, so in general she's not not too out there and it could have some good discussion. My 7 y.o. on the other hand... well, at least she's reading something.)
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:28 PM   #195
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
My daughter is 10 and a very voracious reader (yay!), with that as a theme I could ask her for a few of her favorites too. Some of them could make for a very interesting book selection.

(One of her favorites is My Side of the Mountain right now, so in general she's not not too out there and it could have some good discussion. My 7 y.o. on the other hand... well, at least she's reading something.)
Has she read Island of the Blue Dolphins? I loved that. If you don't know it, it's a survivalist novel based on a true story, about a Native American girl/woman who lived on her own on an island off California. There's the west coast connection for your daughter, too.