Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
JustBrowsing
JustBrowsing began at the beginning.

Device: prospective Kindle DX
Advice needed on white Kindle DX international (2nd not current edition)

Hi all
I have been lurking for a while and love the forum.
I am thinking of buying a refurbished white kindle dx (international) from Amazon and have a few questions. As far as I know the fact that it is refurbished means that I can still return it within 30 days and am covered for a year - is this correct? I have never bought anything refurbished before and am a little apprehensive. The model I am looking at is the white international version released in January 2010 (http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Readi...d_i=B002GYWHSQ).
I am worried that, as it is not the latest version of the DX, I won't qualify for any software upgrade and would love the pdf functionality of the Kindle 3. Can I still get upgrades and for how long?
This is a big decision for me as I am a student and want to read pdfs. I know that I will have to convert them to azw, but I am wondering if I could use rtf files and make annotations on them as well as the azw files. I would need foreign language accents; is that possible? I assume that conversion of files is free as long as I use the correct kindle mail address. Can I use the inline dictionary in azw, doc, txt or rtf files as I know it is not possible with pdf files for the moment? I know that this would be an added bonus, but could I get a kindle development kit on the dx? If anyone else has this particular dx in Europe (or anywhere else for that matter), I would really appreciate your feedback ( particularly on drawbacks or unexpected issues I have not covered). I am a little apprehensive as the dx appears to be a little overshadowed by the kindle 3 and I am unsure of Amazon's future commitment to it.
Thanking you in advance for your help
JustBrowsing
JustBrowsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I can start answering some of your questions.

Yes - the Warehouse Deals refurbished models carry the same return policy/customer service coverage as a new DX. Generally, people have given good reports of the quality of the refurbished units.

There are rumors abounding as to whether the DXG or earlier DX models will get a firmware upgrade to handle PDF's comparable to the K3 functionality. No firm answer that I am aware of.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
JustBrowsing
JustBrowsing began at the beginning.

Device: prospective Kindle DX
Thanks for that! May I ask: which dx do you have and how do you find typing/editing on it?
JustBrowsing
JustBrowsing is offline   Reply With Quote