Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
M. R. Mathias
Banned
M. R. Mathias has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle k3, PC
"The Sword and the Dragon" by M.R. Mathias a 700+pg epic fantasy w/100k word preview

The Sword and the Dragon by M. R. Mathias
If you took every major epic fantasy that has ever been written and twisted them all into one fantastic tale of magic, sword play, and just plain old fantasy fun, you might get the first half of this monster of a read. The last half is a climax so thrilling that words can't even describe it. A new Master of Fantasy has arrived and he is delivering what fantasy fans have long been waiting for.
The Sword and the Dragon
When the Royal Wizard of Westland poisons the king so that his puppet prince can take the throne and start a continental war, a young squire is forced to run for his life carrying the powerful sword that his dying monarch burdened him with from the death bed.

Two brothers find a magic ring and start on paths to becoming the most powerful sort of enemies, while an evil young sorceress unwillingly falls in love with one of them when he agrees to help her steal a dragon's egg for her father. Her father just happens to be the Royal Wizard, and despite his daughter's feelings, he would love nothing more than to sacrifice the boy!

All of these characters, along with the Wolf King of Wildermont, the Lion Lord of Westland, and a magical hawk named Talon, are on a collision course toward Willa the Witch Queen's palace in the distant kingdom of Highwander. There the very bedrock is formed of the powerful magical substance called Wardstone.

Who are the heroes? And will they get there before the Royal Wizard and his evil hordes do?

Whatever happens, the journey will be spectacular, and the confrontation will be cataclysmic.

The NEW Smashwords coupon code to get it for the Amazon price is: WF78A

this is for $8.88 and good until Oct. 1st

Get the 100,000 word preview at this
Smashwords link: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/22793

Read the Amazon reviews here: http://www.amazon.com/Sword-Dragon-W.../dp/B003X9775Q

Last edited by M. R. Mathias; 09-19-2010 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Image edited down
Old 09-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
tbrookside
Connoisseur
tbrookside has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
Nice to see you over here, MR
Old 09-05-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
M. R. Mathias
Banned

Smile Thanks for the welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrookside View Post
Nice to see you over here, MR

No animosity, no anger, no bad editing....lol It's a new me! nice to see you too!
Old 09-10-2010, 04:45 AM   #4
M. R. Mathias
Banned

"The Sword and the Dragon" by M.R. Mathias a 700+pg epic fantasy w/100k word preview

Ooops!

Last edited by M. R. Mathias; 09-11-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:07 AM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Hmmm. I think the price is going to be a tough sell -- $11.88 at Smashwords but $8.88 at Amazon. Penalizes those of us who aren't Amazon buyers or don't own Kindles. And since this is the first book of a trilogy, you might want to consider a lower price to get readers hooked to pay the high price on the second and third books. Anyway, at $11.88, I'll pass.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
M. R. Mathias
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Hmmm. I think the price is going to be a tough sell -- $11.88 at Smashwords but $8.88 at Amazon. Penalizes those of us who aren't Amazon buyers or don't own Kindles. And since this is the first book of a trilogy, you might want to consider a lower price to get readers hooked to pay the high price on the second and third books. Anyway, at $11.88, I'll pass.
The reason why I have to do this price variance is because when Smashwords, or one of its venders, discounts the book it violates my agreement with Amazon if it falls under $8.88
If you really want to read it then PM me a copy of this message at mrmathiasjr@aol.com and I'll see about getting you a coupon for Smashwords for $8.88. If that is still too expensive for you then I am sorry.

Beyond that:
The book is 235,300 words which is basically 3 x 80,000 word novels and nearly 800 pages. You would pay 2.99ea, for 3 80k word novels.

And beyond even that:
A great epic fantasy is priceless. You might find a fantasy serial, or decent read for 3 or 4 bucks, but a true epic fantasy novel that actually has an ending of its own, while still being the foundation for the rest of the trilogy is rare. If you're not willing to pay for it then you don't deserve the pleasure that reading it will bring. I may be Indie, but I have pride in my work and I won't sell out for a few extra readers. If you cannot respect that then go get some free books so the writers won't be able to afford to write anymore. That means no new books. Then where will you be?

And furthermore:
I have several FREE short stories and a FREE Novella available at Smashwords. Would you rather me charge less for this and charge for those? Go read the stuff I GIVE YOU FOR FREE before you come heckle my thread, Sir... Just sayin. M. R. Mathias

Last edited by M. R. Mathias; 09-11-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #7
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I downloaded the ePub sample. Reading a sample of that size should eliminate any chance of buyer's remorse.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
Cliff Ball
Zealot
Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I read it and I thought it was a very good novel. There was no boring parts and MR kept interesting throughout the novel. Usually, some authors lose track of their characters and all the details, but that didn't happen with this novel. I enjoyed it.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Still, I never paid more than $6 for a Robert Jordan paperback (new)...and I think they're around 450k.

At least he offers a 100k sample.. =)
Old 09-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #10
M. R. Mathias
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Still, I never paid more than $6 for a Robert Jordan paperback (new)...and I think they're around 450k.

At least he offers a 100k sample.. =)
Well when you buy a Robert Jordan book you don't get an ending... lol You are forced to buy the next ten books and still don't get any closure. At least for $9 (Which is the same price as a movie ticket, but 5 times the entertainment value) ...With my book you get and ending. Not all of the story threads mind you. It is a Trilogy, but the main story threads for this particular book all have a satisfying close here.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:27 AM   #11
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Too much money for me for an author who really doesn't have any reviews...
Old 09-13-2010, 05:58 AM   #12
M. R. Mathias
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Too much money for me for an author who really doesn't have any reviews...
If you guys can't afford it. Just dont buy it. I wont sell a Lexus for the price of a Honda. Its not gonna happen. I'll get you a smashwords coupon for $8.88 It's selling just fine at Amazon for that price, and there are several stellar reviews there.
I'm not dying for you to buy it. I have several other titles for sale that are shorter and cheaper. As the saying goes though.... You get what you pay for....

The Smashwords coupon code to get it for the Amazon price is PG93B

Just in case you want to see the reviews here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003X9775Q

Check goodreads too they are all 5 star reviews there

Last edited by M. R. Mathias; 09-13-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:24 AM   #13
M. R. Mathias
Banned

Im sorry to hear that all of you posters are having such a hard time financially. This title has sold over 100 copies at $8.88 on Amazon in its firt 50 days of availability. So your predictions are incorrect. As for reviews. You have to look. I'll post one here just for you to ponder though:

John Walker author of Wrath and Remembrance, Hitting Back, Comparing Scars, God's Soldiers, Blood and Water, and Hank Shank VIII
Rated 5 stars on goodreads
REVIEW LINK: http://tinyurl.com/37tcsgv

Fans of Tolkien and C.S. Lewis will find much to enjoy to enjoy in M.R. Mathias’ debut fantasy novel, The Sword and the Dragon (Book 1 of a trilogy). Starting with a mountain-side harvest of hawk eggs, the reader is then taken on an epic adventure through the Mainland Kingdom, encountering on the trek clansmen, a Lion Lord, lizards, serpents, elves, witches, a giant called Borg, a giantess called Berda, a bald-headed wizard called Pael, monsters and magic, kings and queens, lords and ladies, and many others, along with a great mix of campfire legends, swords and sorcery, and exhilarating battles.
This is a big book on a grand scale, but don’t let the fact that it’s a long story put you off. It is also a fast read with a steady flow throughout. Read this book, take up your sword and get ready for a hugely enjoyably adventure.

Last edited by M. R. Mathias; 09-16-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
For Members wary of tinyurls, here's the correct link:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...and-the-dragon

Don
(Moderator)
Old 09-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #15
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. R. Mathias View Post
Im sorry to hear that all of you posters are having such a hard time financially.
I don't think it's so much my finances - more so the fact that you as an unknown author charges more for your first book than Ken Follett charges for his hugely popular novel Pillars of the Earth. His book is also bigger at 1767KB and 1100 pages, and has nearly 1600 reviews, of which 1096 gave 5 stars.

I have read quite a bit of your sample - I think it's very good, and I would really love to read your book, just not for that price (even with the Smashwords coupon)
Closed Thread

Tags
dragon, epic fantasy, fantasy, m.r. mathias, magic, sword, wizard