Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
Ereaderfan
Ereaderfan began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Trouble deciding: Bebook Neo/Kindle 3

The first day of my holiday I longed for a nice long read on my faithful Cybook Gen3 (over 3 years old). It was then that I discovered that the screen had cracked during travel. So I had to 'suffer' two weeks of vacation without reading any books (I was in France and they had no books in English wherever I looked).

I've been looking up information for a replacement because I'm seriously suffering from withdrawl symptoms. I've thought about buying a 'new' Cybook Gen3 because it worked perfectly for me for the past three years, but it is a somewhat outdated model and I think it might be time to try something new.

The Bebook Neo caught my eye as did the new Kindle 3 but I'm having serious trouble deciding which one to choose. Both support Mobipocket/PRC files, and I have a lot of those (non-DRMed).

The Bebook Neo is more expensive, but locally available with faster options for support. The Bebook has also recieved some very good reviews. The downside appears to be the price and the current problems with battery life. The Kindle is a popular choice which usually means more support and somewhat regular updates of the firmware. It also has good reviews, but there's a several week waiting period for shipment and delivery, while I can get a Bebook by tomorrow.

I do not intend to buy ebooks using the Wifi and/or 3G options of the ereader itself, so it's just an added feature, but holds no special value for me. Touchscreen is nice if it works well, especially if you can turn it off when you don't use it. I do not take any notes.

I use my ereader for reading only and I like a sturdy, dependable device that I can enjoy for the foreseeable future. It needs to support Mobi/PRC and HTML first and foremost, the rest is just a bonus. I have few ePud-files, but I might consider buying some if the quality is good enough. Battery life is important, but not paramount. I read 5-6 books a week, so if I need to recharge once a week I'm more than happy.

Before I decide, I would really appreciate your advice in this.
Ereaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Kindle 3!

Try it out and if you don't like it after thirty days you can return it for a full refund! I really think that it fulfills your wants.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
I have an Onyx Boox, which is the same device as the Bebook Neo, and am more than happy with it. Battery life is not a problem if you are prepared to charge once per week, and the latest firmware seems to have improved battery life a lot. You can load Onyx firmware on the Boox, and there are updates regularly.

In short, the Neo is an excellent device, and so probably is the Kindle 3 (no one has actually seen it yet...). On the plus side for the Neo there is the support for multiple formats and the touchscreen. Pluses for the Kindle are the improved E Ink screen with better contrast, and the low price.

Happy as I am with my Boox, if I had to buy a new reader now I would be seriously tempted to go for the Kindle. Why? Well, even including shipping to the Netherlands and taxes, you can buy 2 Kindles for the price of one BeBook Neo!

As Anarel says, you can try the Kindle for 30 days, but if you want to return it, the international shipping costs are for you to pay, and that's still a considerable amount of money. And I doubt you'll get a refund of the taxes.

Succes met de keuze!
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think personally that the Neo/Onyx is the best 6" eInk device currently available; it's certainly my personal favourite.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
Ereaderfan
Ereaderfan began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Sorry for my tardiness, but I've been rather busy the last couple of days.

Your replies are much appreciated and I've already made my choice. Last weekend I bought a Bebook Neo and I ordered a cover from electronicreading. I've had the Neo for a few days now and it works perfectly. I'm very happy with it.

Many thanks!
Ereaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert