Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 03:21 AM   #46
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
Thumbs up Oh my Amazon must have mind readers on their staff!

Amazon must have read my mind , package a better 6" screen, keep all the K2's functionality add wifi ,better battery life, 4gb of memory, in smaller trimmer package . I am in love!!!! My biggest issue with the K2 is all the extra bulk. 5" to 6" e readers are suppose to be compact and ideally pocketable (like my libre pro is) now I'll have a kindle that will fit in my back pocket of my jeans GROOVIE! . This is a insane deal the K2 was almost the perfect e reader for me, now I think this is close to e reader perfection I can get. I like to read books,so the b/w e ink screen is no draw back for me and compact take everywhere size and read in all sort of light conditions is more import than color screen (try that Imaxie) Add on top of that wifi and a improved web browser you can vampire off starboinks wifi and check your email , do some light surfing , shop for books on amazon at a faster clip than att so called 3g (3g nice only if you know what your looking for otherwise its pretty sluggish). Oh my I'm trying to figure out what the latest date I can return my K2 to target with the fewest number of days with out my new kindle k3 BTW I'm not all that in love with the black, I'll get the white again I find in low light find the white reflects more light making it easier to read (at least to my wonkie eyes)
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:24 AM   #47
swede
swede began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Intl
One must have too much money or to little impulse-control :-)

I did preorder the graphite 3g/wifi, it seems so perfect with its smaller package, better screen, couldnt resist it Have tried to read on an iPad several times, but the iPad dont really work that well for me, especially outdoors or in bed where I prefer to read.

When the K3 arrives I guess i have to sell my K2i :-)
swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 05:14 AM   #48
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
No, that's right. Graphite only for the WiFi, graphite or white for the 3G+WiFi.

It appears that the white isn't offered internationally at all, at least the countries I checked.
I ordered one today and I only had the option of the grey one (Australia).

I am starting to warm to the white Kindle, though I've always hated white electronics...when I got the Kindle I wished they had a darker colour...now I don't know what I want any more!

I also ordered a cover...does anyone know if the covers are the same size as the K2 covers or slightly smaller to accommodate the smaller device?
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:10 AM   #49
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm not surprised. Those guys are usually scripted and they probably haven't received the new "official" Amazon spiel yet. I bet they will update the KDXG firmware though.
The question is when.
Would like to see it coming in the next a couple of weeks as well.

Quote:
I called CS to see if they had any information about potential PDF updates for the DXG. The CS agent did some research and came back with "This was just announced two hours ago so we have no information".
Does anyone happen to know the e-mail of the costumer support?

The Kindle 3 seems to have Unicode font support.
I wonder if there's any chance to have it on DXG, too.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:57 AM   #50
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Guys, the Kindle firmware in the new 6" devices with the new functionality will also be available for the Kindle DXG. The firmware will be released around the same time the new Kindle becomes available for purchasing.

Source: I called Amazon and asked.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 08:02 AM   #51
robb01
Connoisseur
robb01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
really like the wifi version
robb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:19 AM   #52
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I pre-ordered the graphite Wifi version

I also pre-ordered the new case with built-in reading light. The price is a little steep but the light draws power from the Kindle...no batteries needed!! woohoo!

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Lighted...in3w_ddp_bbe2?
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:35 AM   #53
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Before you take the leap and purchase the wifi only model, don't forget about whispersync. I almost bought the wifi only one (thinking I could make sure that I was on wifi to shop for books or get my daily paper downloaded) and then I remembered how convenient it is to have my furthest page read sync no matter where I am. That was worth the extra $50 for me.
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:12 AM   #54
karthwyne
Connoisseur
karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Wifi, Kindle US
Ordered the wifi model an hour ago, and I only got the k2 a few weeks ago (the $110 refurb though it looks brand new). Now the wife doesn't have to have kindle envy. I can't believe I waited this long to get one. Not knowing anyone with one was a huge hindering factor.
karthwyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:30 AM   #55
Dropout
Enthusiast
Dropout began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Kindle 8th Gen
If you do any traveling with your Kindle, the 3G cannot be underrated. I traveled to 6 cities around Europe this summer (mostly by train), and it was wonderful to be able to check my e-mail, facebook, and twitter during the trips, not to mention downloading a new book when necessary. My wife and I also had an iPad but there was rarely free wifi at our hotels or other places, and it was usually at very slow speeds.

Plus there is nothing to think about with the 3G all you have to do is turn it on. With the wifi you are going to have to connect to a network. Automation is fantastic.
Dropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:32 AM   #56
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
A quick question: someone above mentioned being "billed" for whispernet, is this at all a concern in foreign countries? I thought the 3G was free without monthly payments, but I wasn't sure if there is something I didn't know about using it in other countries.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:36 AM   #57
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by schulzmc View Post
Before you take the leap and purchase the wifi only model, don't forget about whispersync. I almost bought the wifi only one (thinking I could make sure that I was on wifi to shop for books or get my daily paper downloaded) and then I remembered how convenient it is to have my furthest page read sync no matter where I am. That was worth the extra $50 for me.
My iPod touch is WiFi only it it syncs to my furthest page read and syncs bookmarks etc. with my KDXG. Unless Amazon crippled those functions, they should work on the new KWiFi too. You have to have a WiFi connection of course and it uses the internet via WiFi to connect with Amazon rather than 3G wireless.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #58
jswinden
Nameless Being

I placed my pre-order last night around 8:30pm CDT (central USA) for the Kindle WiFi and cover. The invoice states that the cover will ship separately on Aug 27 but that they will email me when they have a ship date for the KWiFi. Any one else get this? Perhaps only the 3G model will ship on Aug 27.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #59
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
I ordered the 3G model for my wife and got the same response you just posted about being notified via email when the item would ship.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #60
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
The pre-order page for the new Kindle says "Pre-order now to ensure release date delivery". So with the two day free shipping they give, I assume pre-orders will ship on Aug 25 so we all have them in hand on Aug 27.

The case seems to work like any other regular Amazon product...free super saver shipping or other options.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote