Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I seriously doubt that BeBeek "built" it. They may have designed it, but it will almost without doubt be built somewhere in China or Taiwan.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
Do I take it this is a completely new product built by Bebook, rather than a re-badging of someone else's design?
It is a rebadged Hanlin design like always. The one I looked at was at Astak.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 12:58 PM   #18
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
OK, actually I can't compare it to a PRS-700 as I have only heard about it and didn't see its screen. But there was a BeBook 1 lying next to the new device and there was a noticeable difference in contrast. At first I thought they built some other screen into the prototype and only saw at second glance that it was an e-Ink screen.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #19
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Why would they not want to have pictures taken if it's on display anyhow? Doesn't make sense.
Don't know. I asked for it several times but wasn't allowed to make a shot. They hid the device inside a black cover all the time and only took it out for a short while. It looked just like the picture Alex posted on the first page, only the screen is not as light as in that shot.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
Do I take it this is a completely new product built by Bebook, rather than a re-badging of someone else's design?
I'm pretty sure it is the new Jinke OEM device. This is probably what the Astak branded EZ Reader Pro/Plus will be also.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #21
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Looks promising. I like the layout of the buttons ... though I keep wondering if the bottom is actually the best place for a page turner - the way I hold my ebook I often feel it would be better at the top ....
There were also page turning buttons on the side (both sides, actually). You can see them on the picture, if you look very closely. The one on the right is big, exactly where your thumb would be, if you are right-handed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Still a 6" screen?
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I can't wait to find out more. I'm on the verge of buying the current 'old' model - do I really need the extra features? 3G might be nice, but can I actually use it for something in Denmark? What if the price drops on the old model? When will it be out and what will the price be? So many questions... Ah, well, I must hold out a little longer.
I will most certainly be buying the BeBook 2. The touchscreen is the clincher for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Thomas- View Post
[*] Touchscreen (one you can use with your fingers. Looks like the same one from the PRS-700. Screen contrast is suffering a little...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
That touch screen looks a lot whiter and crisper than my PRS700, are you sure the contrast isn't so good? Maybe it's the side-lighting on the 700 that causes the degradation.
I did talk to the same guy (always fun to start talking in English, only to end in Dutch, happened at the Netronix stand too ). He also showed me the new device, and I didn't see much of a difference between the two. But then, I'm not used to seeing e-ink screens (not having any, yet) and the BeBook was the second one I'd seen (the first being the e-slick from Foxit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Thanks for the heads-up, Thomas. Why would they not want to have pictures taken if it's on display anyhow? Doesn't make sense.
He mentioned it was because the software wasn't up to scratch completely, and he didn't want to have "faulty" software images, I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Thanks Dale.
Plus note taking with a stylus. Sounds promising, and sounds like they've been listening to consumers.
Without a stylus you mean...

I've also seen the BOOX, which does require a stylus, and I must say, I rather like the idea of being able to use my fingers instead of a stylus-only. Or at least use any stylus I can find (I have a BIC pen/pencil/stylus, for example...)

After seeing the e-slick, bebook, bebook 2, boox and mentors, I think I know which one I'll buy this summer...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #22
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Thanks to the anonymous donor who dropped the attached image to my inbox.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0086.JPG
Views:	721
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	25118  
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #23
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The device didn't have 3G card in it, so it wouldn't connect
Old 03-06-2009, 04:02 PM   #24
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
There were also page turning buttons on the side (both sides, actually). You can see them on the picture, if you look very closely. The one on the right is big, exactly where your thumb would be, if you are right-handed.

After seeing the e-slick, bebook, bebook 2, boox and mentors, I think I know which one I'll buy this summer...
Each to their own. The boox still sounds the better device to me overall and I'll wait to see their final design and button placement. I also cannot see the point of what bebook has done with the 3g and forcing you to buy the special addon card for wifi, which will take up the normal sd slot.
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #25
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobelby View Post
Each to their own. The boox still sounds the better device to me overall and I'll wait to see their final design and button placement. I also cannot see the point of what bebook has done with the 3g and forcing you to buy the special addon card for wifi, which will take up the normal sd slot.
Hmm, I know the BeBook will get the possibility with a SDIO card, but I did get the impression the BeBook 2 has it built in... Maybe I misunderstood.

But for me the big difference is the BOOX requires a stylus for its touchscreen and the BeBook doesn't.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #26
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Thanks to the anonymous donor who dropped the attached image to my inbox.
Say hello to glare.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #27
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Say hello to glare.
No, that glare is because of a screen protector.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #28
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
Sweetpea,

Re touchscreen you're right about ease of usability in bebook 2 and prs700 but I think I'd prefer the touchscreen in the Iliad, which is the same one in the boox.

Re the wifi being present in bebook 2 without an SDIO card, that's unclear from the information to hand. It's also not clear how much the price of bebook 2 will be affected by those inclusions. I do know that 3g access ain't cheap in Australia and I have no need for it as my smartphone has bluetooth tethering, which is how I use my netbook if I'm on the road.

I'm glad many will find the bebook 2 great. I just hope the boox is reasonably sturdy so I don't break it and that the plastic logic reader will not come in at an arm and a leg !

One last thing. The engadget article said the bebook was Q3 or Q4 so it might be awhile yet. I'll wait and see when these new ones are launched and at what price.

Last edited by mobelby; 03-06-2009 at 04:37 PM.
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #29
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobelby View Post
Sweetpea,

Re touchscreen you're right about ease of usability in bebook 2 and prs700 but I think I'd prefer the touchscreen in the Iliad, which is the same one in the boox.

Re the wifi being present in bebook 2 without an SDIO card, that's unclear from the information to hand. It's also not clear how much the price of bebook 2 will be affected by those inclusions. I do know that 3g access ain't cheap in Australia and I have no need for it as my smartphone has bluetooth tethering, which is how I use my netbook if I'm on the road.

I'm glad many will find the bebook 2 great. I just hope the boox is reasonably sturdy so I don't break it and that the plastic logic reader will not come in at an arm and a leg !

One last thing. The engadget article said the bebook was Q3 or Q4 so it might be awhile yet. I'll wait and see when these new ones are launched and at what price.
You will be able to turn off the 3G access, by use of the software. I doubt they will include a subscription (as with the Kindle). And the CEO told me the BeBook 2 will come this summer (which is fine with me, I can save some money to get it as soon as it comes out then!). I didn't ask about the price...
Old 03-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #30
TomBolini
ebooks distributor
TomBolini doesn't litterTomBolini doesn't litter

Device: HP2710p iLiad Cybook Sony 505 Kindle DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm pretty sure it is the new Jinke OEM device. This is probably what the Astak branded EZ Reader Pro/Plus will be also.

BOb
It is indeed. Jinke's Hanlin V3 new model, available next June.
TomBolini is offline   Reply With Quote