Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Kindle 2 Hands-on First Impressions

I just have a few minutes before a meeting, but I'll give a quick few first impressions on the Kindle 2. Please excuse any grammar/spelling mistakes or I won't have time to post and edit this.

My background: I have read e-books for years on palm devices, windows mobile devices, ebookman, and a Cybook Gen III E-ink device. However this is my first Kindle.

Over the years I have yet to find a device that really works as I want it to. I am quite satisfied with the Kindle and would readily purchase it again, but it is not everything I want either.

Definitely light, sleek sexy, but much heavier than I expected. Pretend its a flat metal plate about the size of the Kindle 2 and you will have the correct idea. OK, maybe not quite that heavy, but definitely heavier than my Cybook. Of course, since the Cybook busted its screen, maybe that is good. For the weight I would ideally prefer a wider grip on the side.

The standard cover clips in with two metal tabs that are inserted in slots in the side of the Kindle. I suspect it will hold it tight with no slipping. Even with the case, the K-2 is still nice and slim.

The page buttons work well. They give good feedback and are very reliable in advancing the page. Page advances are faster than my cybook, but they aren't instant. I'd say there is a brief pause after clicking on the button, and then the same amount of time to actually 'turn' the page.

I have had two freezes where I had to reset the device, but it reset with no problems. Both had to do with me reading it during charging and then unplugging it. Can't duplicate the exact circumstances yet.

I don't know if I'm doing it right, but none of (is it Igor -- don't remember his name) the alt- easter eggs seem to work. Can't get anything to work in google maps. When reading a book I can't get the slideshow to work. However, the tts does advance the page automatically so its another version of the slide show.

I'm out of time now. I'll come back late tonight and see if I have time to add more impressions.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote