Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-05-2017, 08:48 PM   #1
Hop-frog
Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon N510Ⅱ
What device has physical buttons, a large screen, and no flicker?

I have a large collection of comic books, in PDF format. I'd like a device with the following features:
  • Physical buttons, no touch screen. I really do not like using a touch screen, as the screen quickly gets smudged and scratched.
  • Magazine-sized screen, approx. 9-11".
  • No flicker.

I do not have a need for any other features, WiFi, color, etc.

Can anyone recommend a device matching these criteria?

Last edited by Hop-frog; 01-07-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Hop-frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:52 AM   #2
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I don't understand what you mean by flicker. Kindles don't flicker, they are not a lcd screen that continuously refreshes.

Do you mean the full flash when you turn a page? If so the carta screen minimizes it.

Alot of these request posts are over-specified. It would greatly help if these posters ranked the importance of each feature from vital to inconsequential.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2017, 05:41 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-frog View Post
I have a large collection of comic books, in PDF format. I'd like a device with the following features:
  • Physical buttons, no touch screen. I really do not like using a touch screen, as the screen quickly gets smudged and scratched.
  • No flicker. I tested various 2nd generation Kindles and they quickly me a headache.
  • Page turns on a comic won't be slower than physically turning pages.
  • Expandable memory via an SD card or similar product.

You aren't gonna like it, but with your criteria, you should just buy a tablet. No e-ink device is particularly good with PDFs.

From your criteria, any tablet will give you:
  • No flicker.
  • Page turns on a comic won't be slower than physically turning pages.
  • Expandable memory via SD card.

There are large screen e-readers, but they will have screen refresh (the flicker you described with your Paperwhite experience). It's needed to prevent ghosting on an e-ink screen.

And while some are better than others, no e-reader will turn pages in a PDF as quickly as a tablet. E-readers in general are low powered and just aren't designed for handling big PDF files.

The Lenovo Tab2 A10 is very nice and is inexpensive.

If it must be an e-ink device, I believe there are some out there with 13.3" screens, but I can't remember names. Just be aware that they will be expensive. Will have slower page turns and especially with comic files, the screen will flicker with every page turn or appear to be smudgy. Also, I don't think they tend to have buttons.

(If I am spreading FUD due to my unfamiliarity with larger e-ink devices, please correct me.)

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-06-2017 at 05:45 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:27 PM   #4
Hop-frog
Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hop-frog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon N510Ⅱ
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Alot of these request posts are over-specified. It would greatly help if these posters ranked the importance of each feature from vital to inconsequential.
I've edited my first post to simplify the requirements. I'm looking for one that meets all three.
Hop-frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #5
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
I've edited my first post to simplify the requirements. I'm looking for one that meets all three.
A used or refurb Kindle DX might be your best bet as it has physical page buttons and a large size. You'll have to put up with the full refresh.

There is a Sony 13'' eink reader, I don't know if it's still available. I don't think it has page turn buttons.

I agree with Zodwallop though, I think you'll have to just bite the bullet and buy a tablet.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2017, 03:00 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
A used or refurb Kindle DX might be your best bet as it has physical page buttons and a large size. You'll have to put up with the full refresh.

There is a Sony 13'' eink reader, I don't know if it's still available. I don't think it has page turn buttons.

I agree with Zodwallop though, I think you'll have to just bite the bullet and buy a tablet.

If you're going to put with a Kindle DX-G, then you may also wish to consider the Onyx N96 or N96ML.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #7
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I second the Onyx. They do them in a variety of formats and one can install a plethora of different pdf reading apps. I'd check that you can find a decent reading app that will work on eink before taking the plunge.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:47 AM   #8
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
No colour
For comics ?

The best fit for your criteria is a laptop computer
Such as an 11 inch Ultrabook !
or
Consider Dr. Drib's suggestion
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:35 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
  • No flicker.

Try an iPad Pro. Use the volume control for page forward/back, no flicker (I'm assuming you are referring to the white-black-white write to the screen to remove ghosting that is characteristic of eInk displays), decent battery life, colour display with portrait mode, etc. My goto device for PDF tech manuals.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:08 PM   #10
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Quote:
  • No flicker.

I was lucky to get a cheap heavily-used Kindle Dx.

I pre-process most pdfs on my computer, reducing them to 150 dpi, so that they aren't too slow on the Dx. I also cut the larger pdfs, because the Kindle can't go to specific pages.

I am unable to use bright screens or touch-screens, with my disabilities, so I can't use tablets.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:03 PM   #11
iacchi
Zealot
iacchi is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-500; Boox C67ML; Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelch View Post
No colour
For comics ?
Indeed this is a very good question. If you need colour to read your comics, there are eInk devices with colours out there: http://www.ectaco.com/jetBook_Color2_Black_Deluxe/ but the number of colours is not even close to the one of a tablet screen and they're quite pricey.
iacchi is offline   Reply With Quote