Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #16
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
.../...

The default hyphenation dictionary can be edited to give better results by having the numbers from 5 to 2.
.../...
Hi,

Thanks for this. Could you elaborate a bit on the above sentence?

I had prepared one for French language only (from Grammalecte/LibreOffice) last year which worked well for 2.8.1. and that I keep using.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=10
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:34 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The default hyphenation dictionary can be edited to give better results by having the numbers from 5 to 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for this. Could you elaborate a bit on the above sentence?

I had prepared one for French language only (from Grammalecte/LibreOffice) last year which worked well for 2.8.1. and that I keep using.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=10
The Adobe hyphenation diction as it comes has

Quote:
LEFTHYPHENMIN 5
RIGHTHYPHENMIN 5
The configuration parameter lefthyphenmin specifies the minimal length of a word prefix that can be separated from a word through hyphenation. The righthyphenmin parameter specifies the minimal length for a suffix.

So you would need a word of at least 10 letters and it would only hyphenate if at least 5 letters were in front of the hyphen and at least 5 letters behind the hyphen. This basically can leave a lot of gaps in lines where a hyphen would normally work fine. I've used a left of 2 and a right of 3. I'm thinking of changing it to a right of 2. But I'll test it before posting an update.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2014, 09:59 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've updated the hyphenation dictionary in the first post. It's just US English. I;ve changed the settings to give even better hyphenation.

The original settings were...
LEFTHYPHENMIN 2
RIGHTHYPHENMIN 3
COMPOUNDLEFTHYPHENMIN 2
COMPOUNDRIGHTHYPHENMIN 3

I've changed the settings to be...
LEFTHYPHENMIN 2
RIGHTHYPHENMIN 2
COMPOUNDLEFTHYPHENMIN 2
COMPOUNDRIGHTHYPHENMIN 2

I have tested this and it works well. With a rather largish font size, it hyphenated the word happy as hap-py and if it had not, there would have been some gaps in the line.

So if you've installed the previous version, give the new version a go.

If anyone wants me to create a better hyphenation dictionary for another language, please find an OpenOffice compatible hyphenation dictionary, PM me a link, I'll edit the settings, make the TGZ file and post it in this thread.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-16-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:58 PM   #19
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
There are a couple of issues to do with words that have trailing punctuation:

1. Both the epub and kepub reader seem to count the punctuation when deciding if the word is long enough to hyphenate. So for example with both HYPHENMIN parameters set at 5, everybody would not be hyphenated, but everybody, could be hyphenated as every-body,

2. The kepub reader can hyphenate in the wrong place if there is trailing punctuation, so with both HYPHENMIN parameters set at 5, everything, could be hyphenated as everyt-hing, by the kepub reader, but the epub reader would still hyphenate it correctly as every-thing,

There is not much that can be done about the second problem, but setting RIGHTHYPHENMIN one higher than LEFTHYPHENMIN can help a bit with the first.

(I use LEFTHYPHENMIN 3, RIGHTHYPHENMIN 4)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:01 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
There are a couple of issues to do with words that have trailing punctuation:

1. Both the epub and kepub reader seem to count the punctuation when deciding if the word is long enough to hyphenate. So for example with both HYPHENMIN parameters set at 5, everybody would not be hyphenated, but everybody, could be hyphenated as every-body,

2. The kepub reader can hyphenate in the wrong place if there is trailing punctuation, so with both HYPHENMIN parameters set at 5, everything, could be hyphenated as everyt-hing, by the kepub reader, but the epub reader would still hyphenate it correctly as every-thing,

There is not much that can be done about the second problem, but setting RIGHTHYPHENMIN one higher than LEFTHYPHENMIN can help a bit with the first.

(I use LEFTHYPHENMIN 3, RIGHTHYPHENMIN 4)
Thanks for that bit of information. If I see any issues with hyphenation because of the right set to 2, I'll change it back to 3. But for now, I'll leave it at 2.
Advert
Old 12-16-2014, 11:06 PM   #21
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

If anyone wants me to create a better hyphenation dictionary for another language, please find an OpenOffice compatible hyphenation dictionary, PM me a link, I'll edit the settings, make the TGZ file and post it in this thread.
Thanks both of you for your explanations and for the proposal. Here is one for the French language.

Sorry for the external link, for some reason, I can't upload to MR

https://mega.co.nz/#!5EECmTDQ!mD0aXJ...VVI1oFVLkjdYHE

Last edited by roger64; 12-16-2014 at 11:20 PM. Reason: French hyph
Old 12-17-2014, 03:50 AM   #22
Teom@n
Enthusiast
Teom@n began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
I don't think those dictionaries will work. Can you find one for LibreOffice or OpenOffice?
I have found a project for Libre Office plugin for Turkish. I installed it to Libre Office but I couldn't its folder.

I attached files for Open office, firefox and another.
Attached Files
File Type: zip zemberek-ooo-1.0_rc4.zip (378.9 KB, 396 views)
File Type: zip tr-tr.zip (2.01 MB, 395 views)

Last edited by Teom@n; 12-17-2014 at 04:45 AM.
Teom@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teom@n View Post
I have found a project for Libre Office plugin for Turkish. I installed it to Libre Office but I couldn't its folder.

I attached files for Open office, firefox and another.
The first file is a bunch of Java files (.jar) and no good. The second is just a dictionary without a hyphenation dictionary. Again, no good.

Have a look around, there might be a Turkish hyphenation dictionary for Tex and there is a way to convert a Tex hyphenation dictionary to one that is compatible with OpenOffice. Google is your friend.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

First post updated with a French hyphenation dictionary.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #25
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Maybe this? http://code.metager.de/source/raw/mo...on/hyph_tr.dic
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Maybe. Does anyone know what happens if an incorrect hyphenation dictionary is loaed on to a Kobo Reader? Does it lock or does it just ignore it?
Old 12-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #27
Teom@n
Enthusiast

Quote:
The first file is a bunch of Java files (.jar) and no good. The second is just a dictionary without a hyphenation dictionary. Again, no good.

Have a look around, there might be a Turkish hyphenation dictionary for Tex and there is a way to convert a Tex hyphenation dictionary to one that is compatible with OpenOffice. Google is your friend.
Ok, I am still searching. Google is my friend
Old 12-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #28
Teom@n
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
maybe
Old 12-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #29
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
First post updated with a French hyphenation dictionary.
Jon

Thanks for your kind support!
Old 12-17-2014, 10:40 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Jon

Thanks for your kind support!
Happy it worked. Enjoy!