Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm hoping the patcher will be updated for 2.10. I am looking at maybe getting a Kobo and the patcher is a deal breaker if it doesn't work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #47
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm hoping the patcher will be updated for 2.10. I am looking at maybe getting a Kobo and the patcher is a deal breaker if it doesn't work.
It all depends on which patches you want. Some of the original ones seem to have gone AWOL; others that actually patch code we would need someone with a disassembler and other binary tools to figure out what and where to patch.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
It all depends on which patches you want. Some of the original ones seem to have gone AWOL; others that actually patch code we would need someone with a disassembler and other binary tools to figure out what and where to patch.
The font size, the margins, the getting back the lost space on the screen, the long paragraph mostly-fix are the ones I would want most.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #49
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
DICTIONARY: Wonderful new feature: the dictionary (at least the main English one) now supports cross-referencing: long press on any word in a definition, and you'll be taken to the definition for that word.
That is a very nice new function.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #50
Warchild
Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook Color, Kobo Aura, iPad, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You could try going to http://download.kobobooks.com/deskto.../KoboSetup.dmg to download the desktop application .dmg file.

Regards,
David
Many thanks. That worked fine. Now if I could get 2.10 that easily I might be content!
Warchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #51
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:

POCKET: only allows use of built-in fonts; in the Pocket viewer, the AA menu doesn't list sideloaded fonts. No bid deal, but worth noting. I'm a heavy user of Pocket on an iPhone, and the implementation on the Kobo seems just fine so far
I'm on 2.9 sideloaded on my Glo, and I've got all my sideloaded fonts working in Pocket. Was this rolled back on 2.10, or is there some other issue?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #52
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
POCKET: only allows use of built-in fonts; in the Pocket viewer, the AA menu doesn't list sideloaded fonts. No bid deal, but worth noting. I'm a heavy user of Pocket on an iPhone, and the implementation on the Kobo seems just fine so far.
Odd; I have no problem using side-loaded fonts on my Glo when reading Pocket articles.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #53
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
DICTIONARY: Wonderful new feature: the dictionary (at least the main English one) now supports cross-referencing: long press on any word in a definition, and you'll be taken to the definition for that word.
I'd like to hear if this works with other dictionaries as well. And translation dictionaries. It's something that's driven me bonkers since getting my glo, especially since many definitions are like this:

"Deception: to deceive." or "Words: Plural of word"*

Brilliant definitions.

I don't know about anyone else, but we weren't allowed to include the word we were defining in our definitions in school

* These are made up examples...not actual definitions I found....or for that matter, not words I would need to look up
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:39 AM   #54
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Fascinating! My sideloaded fonts are now showing up in Pocket. I wonder if they didn't show up when I initially tried it because changing fonts in Pocket was the first time I'd accessed the AA menu since upgrading the firmware; maybe the firmware doesn't poll the device for installed fonts until/unless the AA menu is accessed from reading an actual ebook. Oh, well -- glad to know this isn't an issue!
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #55
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
A few more changes I've noticed:

To access the Table of Contents, you now have to press the slider (the <---> icon), rather than the book icon.

And the book icon is now gone, replaced by a menu icon (three horizontal lines stacked), which is bad UI design, in my humble opinion, because there are now TWO visually identical menu icons simultaneously on the screen: one in the upper right and one in the lower right, and they bring up completely different menus: upper-right brings up "Brightness" / Wi Fi" / "Battery" etc.; lower-right brings up "Search in Book" / "Reading settings" / "Annotations" etc.

Having "Reading settings" (which controls where you tap to change screens and whether some ePubs show page numbers in margins) come up on lower-right "in-the-book menu" is ridiculous; having it as the second item is even worse. Those are settings you change once and forget about forever; they're not things you're constantly fiddling with while reading a book.

Also, pressing on the "Page x of xx" footer used to immediately bring up the %read indicator at the left side of the screen; it now appears, after a second's delay, at the top of the screen (first the time is shown, then the %read). Where the %read indicator used to be, you know get a "<-- Books" button, which takes you immediately to the listing of all books on the device.

Rob
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #56
rkr
rkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to beholdrkr is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo aura hd
i wanted to upgrade my aura HD so i wanted to ask-
1) is f/w 2.10 available in all countries ,if not when would it be available
2) how do i get to know the version of kobo desktop i m downloading. i saw on this thread that version 3.4 is available.so how would i know that kobo desktop version is available in my country and i am downloading the right version rather than downloading the older version?
3)and last thing when i upgrade my firmware to 2.10 do i have to some resetting(factory,pin hole etc) or remove the the memory card before upgrading via computer(so that i dont unintentionally brick it) ?
pls help
thanks in advance
rkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #57
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkr View Post
i wanted to upgrade my aura HD so i wanted to ask-
1) is f/w 2.10 available in all countries ,if not when would it be available
2) how do i get to know the version of kobo desktop i m downloading. i saw on this thread that version 3.4 is available.so how would i know that kobo desktop version is available in my country and i am downloading the right version rather than downloading the older version?
3)and last thing when i upgrade my firmware to 2.10 do i have to some resetting(factory,pin hole etc) or remove the the memory card before upgrading via computer(so that i dont unintentionally brick it) ?
pls help
thanks in advance
1. It will be available in all regions. Kobo rolls out the update over time, so it is not available in all places at once. If I remember, typically all devices have access to the update within about 2 weeks of the update first showing up. Simply syncing your Aura HD will check each time if the update is available.

2. Kobo Desktop updates automatically. When the update is available for you, it will notify you.

3. Barring any problems, after you sync and the update is downloaded and you hit the install button, your device will simply restart, install the firmware, then restart once more and go back to your home screen. No action is required on your part. Sometimes something goes awry during an update and you do have to do a pin-hole reset, but you shouldn't expect to need to do that.

Hope that helps.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #58
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
A few more changes I've noticed:

To access the Table of Contents, you now have to press the slider (the <---> icon), rather than the book icon.
It took me a while to get used to, but I like it now.
Quote:
And the book icon is now gone, replaced by a menu icon (three horizontal lines stacked), which is bad UI design, in my humble opinion, because there are now TWO visually identical menu icons simultaneously on the screen: one in the upper right and one in the lower right, and they bring up completely different menus: upper-right brings up "Brightness" / Wi Fi" / "Battery" etc.; lower-right brings up "Search in Book" / "Reading settings" / "Annotations" etc.
I hadn't noticed the similar icons. It think it hasn't worried me because the top items are system items, and the bottom are book
Quote:
Having "Reading settings" (which controls where you tap to change screens and whether some ePubs show page numbers in margins) come up on lower-right "in-the-book menu" is ridiculous; having it as the second item is even worse. Those are settings you change once and forget about forever; they're not things you're constantly fiddling with while reading a book.
I agree with you about the "Reading settings". But, there was a discussion about the menu in the beta group after I commented that I didn't think "Reading settings" belonged there. At least one person commented they use it frequently because they change hands and depending on where they are reading and want to change the tap zone.
Quote:
Also, pressing on the "Page x of xx" footer used to immediately bring up the %read indicator at the left side of the screen; it now appears, after a second's delay, at the top of the screen (first the time is shown, then the %read).
The only problem I have is that it doesn't display the title.
Quote:
Where the %read indicator used to be, you know get a "<-- Books" button, which takes you immediately to the listing of all books on the device.
That button changes depending on where you were when you opened the book. Pressing it will take you back there. So, if you open a book from a shelf, it will say "Collection" and take you back to the shelf.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #59
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Still wondering if this and any further updates will be usable on the Touch?
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #60
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Kobo have said that this update will only go to the Glo, Aura and Aura HD. They are working on updates for the Mini and Touch, but I have no idea when it will be out.