Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Suggestions for a faulty T1 refurb

I bought a reufurbed T1 from ebay from a reputable dealer.

Problems started when Calibre couldn't load books onto it (write permission failed). I was able to copy the epubs over directly via Windows. I changed the USB cable and hit the same problem with Calibre again. I tried several books.

In any case, having got the books on the unit without using Calibre, I opened them okay, but I am unable to change fonts. The unit hangs. The rotating circle comes up. Sometimes I can get back with the back key and sometimes the unit hangs for several minutes.

The device is using 1.0.00.09010 firmware. I could update it, but it shouldn't be behaving like this. I expect to send it back to the vendor, but wondered if anybody has any ideas I could try first.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
dave45
dave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs505
FWIW I got a second hand T1 from ebay which was behaving slightly oddly. I connected it to a PC via USB and deleted the entire contents of the READER "USB drive", then disconnected and reset the device. Seemed to fix it.
dave45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
dave45
dave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs505
btw I've also had problems with USB power and Sony readers... odd results on one PC, but worked fine on another... looks like the Sony needed more power than the USB interface could supply??? if you can't try a different PC, try a powered USB hub?
dave45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Some Iphone USB charger issues is all I remember reading about. Common USB phone chargers have always worked for my T1. USB cable problems do happen.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
@ Rizla Probably you have tried reformatting the storage partition using the Sony menu, checking read/write permissions, a disk checking utility to check for bad sectors.

I would suggest inserting an SD card and see if you can write to that with calibre or Sony software. Not a solution, but as a way of narrowing down the probable causes.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have played with (used) T1s before, and they didn't behave like this. I might format it, but I don't know...I would always have the fear that it's been rooted in the past which might cause unresolvable problems. As such, it's safer for me to return it and get one that behaves normally out-of-the-box. Thanks again.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired

I did soft reformat it and I am able to transfer books to it via Calibre now. But it still hangs and freezes when I try to change fonts (particularly frutiger neue). I created my own test epub, so it's not a book problem. I'll check for font change hangs, but it looks flaky and unstable. 95% sure it's going back.

Out of curiosity, I'll try to check for signs of it being rooted to see if I've picked up someone root experiment disaster.

I found a thread about a T1 crashing with particularly frutiger neue:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=207758&page=2

I'll keep testing. It's hard to know if this is standard (bad) behavior for a T1.

Last edited by Rizla; 09-02-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I think you are right to just return it. It is the I know I can fix this syndrome that is stopping you. The challenge of it all I'm real bad that way with usually good results but sometimes I make myself cry. Your T1 your choice.

Pretty sure it will work out either way but what do I know.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Hey Rizla,

My black T1 recently started doing this too. Really P'd me off! Mine has never been rooted. Mine freezes when I go to use the dictionary. I love the Frutiger Neue font and use it all the time. Black one now goes wonky but so far the red one works fine.

Black one freezes on word selection for dictionary purposes, entire screen goes black, or Frutiger Neue font goes bold and way thicker than it should even be, or the font disappears altogether. ??? Very weird.

If you find a fix please do post it because this just started in the last couple of weeks. It's driving me nuts. It came out of nowhere and I find I have to do a soft reset once a day to even be able to read a darn book. Very frustrating.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote