Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Anybody know a way to get rid of an update notice without running the update?

I got the update notice for the following update:

This update to Reader™ for PC (2.1.00.06250) includes the following improvements:

• Reader™ from Sony PRS-T3 USB connection support

• Supporting easier menu item selection and flick scrolling in Library view when using a computer with a touchscreen

• Addition of Ireland in the region selection

- I don't have a T3.
- I don't have a touchscreen computer.
- I am not in Ireland.

I do not need this update! But the only options are "update" or "later". Therefore, every time I open the Reader for PC software, a popup offering me this update appears.

Has anybody figured out a way to get rid of an update notice without running the update?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Do you have the check box in Edit>Preferences "Check for Updates Automatically" unchecked?

That option exists in version 2.1.00.06250, if it doesn't exist in your version then perhaps you have a reason to update .
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

Usually an update includes some minor bug fixes, not major enough to mention but could be worth updating. Any reason for not updating?
Old 10-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Past Sony updates have listed any minor fixes they were making. This update is apparently only for the region, T3, and touchscreen. I find it annoying that the only apparent way to get rid of the popup is to run an update I don't need.

The only computer programs I have set for automatic updates are essentials, such as Windows or antivirus program. I have most other programs set to notify me when updates are available, so I can decide whether I want the update.

Most programs offer an option such as "don't show this update again" in case you don't want a particular update.

Clearly this is just an annoyance, not a major problem. Just asked the question in case anybody might have found a way to close out an unwanted update.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Yeah get rid of the reader program and use calibre.. or at the very least close it down and only run it when you want to update.. that's what I do.. frankly the sony pc reader is a pos
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
4691mls - As stated in post #2, uncheck the box that asks if you want to check for updates automatically. Once you do that, it will NOT check for updates unless you tell it to. In the Reader for PC program itself go to Edit --> Preferences and then uncheck 'Check for Updates Automatically'

You obviously still have it checked otherwise it wouldn't look for updates on its own.

Bla - Calibre is great but you can't buy books from the Sony store on it. You still need the program for that.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
4691mls
Wizard

I want it to check for updates (otherwise how will I know if there is a useful update?), but I want to be able to reject updates I don't want so it doesn't keep offering me the same one over and over again. I was hoping someone with more computer savvy than I have might have figured out a way, but I guess it's not possible with the Sony Reader program.

I read mostly library books. I find it easier to navigate the Overdrive library on my computer than on the reader, so I normally download the books to my computer, then sync to the reader. My understanding from previous threads (correct me if I'm wrong) is that Calibre doesn't work for syncing library books, so I've never bothered to try it.

I do appreciate everyone who's taken the time to offer advice!