Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #76
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
So, has anybody almost have the Aura slide out of the their hand yet? It's a slippery litte bugger.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #77
Jakkers
Jakkers began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
More impressions...

I usually read one handed and tap the screen to turn pages, but even with the page forward zone set to the larger option it's a bit of a reach to advance the page when holding and using with my left hand. Will definitely need to give this aspect some more time.
My approach is to tap the right hand side of the screen to advance pages when I'm reading right-handed, and swipe from right to left with my left thumb when I'm reading left-handed. It's slightly less convenient than a simple tap, but its effective, and easier than stretching.
Jakkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #78
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm known to change the options depending on how I am reading. Often when I read in bed at night I hold my Touch with the left hand, so find it's easiest to reconfigure the page turn so that tapping on the left hand side is a page forward. If I have to go backwards a swipe from the left edge to the center suffices.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #79
Sharkey
Sharkey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by louden View Post
But can you zoom it in? and keep it there for every page? I like to read PDFs and get rid of the white space/border
I've had good luck with cropping PDFs with big borders, using a combination of Briss and some Mac terminal-fu; if you're interested, I'll provide the details when I'm at my home computer (don't have the details at work).
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #80
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
One thing I noticed, and for me this is a big deal; you can't edit the shelf names, nor can you delete them. I had to do a factory reset, and that isn't really an option. I am going to take mine back today
Are you using Calibre to set up and manage the shelves?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #81
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
I picked up the Espresso one yesterday. I wanted one slightly different from the norm. I've had too many white and black devices.

One thing I noticed, and for me this is a big deal; you can't edit the shelf names, nor can you delete them. I had to do a factory reset, and that isn't really an option. I am going to take mine back today
When in the list of Shelves, long press on the one you want to rename and select "rename" , or "delete" from the pop up menu list, doesn't this work to do what you want? Note this should work for any shelves you have created, I don't think you can rename the shortlist shelf but you should be able to rename any others you have.

Last edited by jiminrussell; 04-26-2013 at 04:48 PM.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #82
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
So far I'm really not digging the variable large space at the bottom of the screen while reading. What's the point of making a big deal about the larger screen if Kobo isn't going to utilize all of that real estate?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #83
flips01
Connoisseur
flips01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
I've had good luck with cropping PDFs with big borders, using a combination of Briss and some Mac terminal-fu; if you're interested, I'll provide the details when I'm at my home computer (don't have the details at work).
I'm interested.
(I've been using Skim to do it. Crop then export with annotations.)
flips01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #84
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Sideloaded some books via Calibre (9.28) and everything went smoothly although Calibre is showing some of my books as being on the Aura already when they are not. Pretty happy with how books look on it. Although I agree with others that the large space at the bottom is a bit "off" it hasn't really bothered me so far. I actually would mind maybe one line of space at the top of the screen. Don't know if it's just that it would give the "page" an overall more balanced look or because the bezel casts a small shadow over the first line of text when it's so close.
If you're sideloading, you can tweak the top and bottom margins in Calibre first: Conversion options > Page Setup.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #85
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by louden View Post
But your opinion is - zoomed out at 100% is fine?

Yes, it is fine for me. I can see people having problems with the smaller font size if they usually use something larger.

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #86
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
So, has anybody almost have the Aura slide out of the their hand yet? It's a slippery litte bugger.
Not me, and I even took it into the bath today!

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #87
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
If you're sideloading, you can tweak the top and bottom margins in Calibre first: Conversion options > Page Setup.
I can certainly give that a try, but all the other posts I've seen seem to indicate that the bottom space (in the book I'm testing it goes between 1/2" and 1" that's blank except of the pages counter) is "normal". I'll mess with it a bit.

I'm working on a review (for Dear Author) and most of the people that read it aren't going to be in the group that want to have to tweak their books. I don't recall seeing anything like this on other devices that use the RMSDK to display ePub's so I have to assume Kobo set things up this way on purpose for some reason.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #88
louden
louden began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST/Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
Interested! But just knowing there's a way will get me going...
louden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #89
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Can you set the page refresh to every page? I hate ghosting!
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #90
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
Can you set the page refresh to every page? I hate ghosting!
Yes, you can choose any number between 1 and 6, although so far I've seen no ghosting with it set at 6.