Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
bethany7
Enthusiast
bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Font Weight and Sharpness

Hi,

This is probably a ridiculous question, but I was wondering if anyone could help me with font settings?
I really like both the Amasis and Nickel fonts on the Glo, but find them both needing the weight increasing. However, when I do this, the edges of the letters become somewhat distorted. I can't for the life of me work out whether the sharpness needs to be increased or deceased. Could anyone explain to me the relationship (if there is one) between font weight and sharpness?

Thank you, and I apologise for my probably idiotic question!
bethany7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
Actually I could do with some explaining on how this works, too.
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I find I need to increase sharpness when I increase weight. But just try it out for yourself and see what you prefer - it only takes a second.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany7 View Post
Hi,

This is probably a ridiculous question, but I was wondering if anyone could help me with font settings?
I really like both the Amasis and Nickel fonts on the Glo, but find them both needing the weight increasing. However, when I do this, the edges of the letters become somewhat distorted. I can't for the life of me work out whether the sharpness needs to be increased or deceased. Could anyone explain to me the relationship (if there is one) between font weight and sharpness?

Thank you, and I apologise for my probably idiotic question!
I'd suggest an experimental approach -- try it and see what happens. On the other hand, if a 30 metre hole appears where your Kobo used to be, a different approach may be in order.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote