Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What genre do you like best?
Romance 19 22.89%
Fantasy 37 44.58%
Science Fiction 43 51.81%
Realistic Fiction 15 18.07%
Horror/thriller 12 14.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #46
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Plot, believable characters, and also I like some level of surprise or some twists or a bit of mystery or something, though I'm not a big reader of mysteries as a genre.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #47
androidrooting
Enthusiast
androidrooting began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Books

What makes a book worth reading? When it is not boring and it is full of sense! That's when the book is worth reading although I am not a book lover
androidrooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #48
M.T. Miles
Enthusiast
M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Fluribus,

Great response. All I can say is ditto.
M.T. Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #49
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
My favorite is science fiction.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #50
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think part of what makes a book worth reading is unmeasurable. It's something unique to each person. A book that I think is great might get a meh from another reader. So the reader brings something to the book though much of the work is done by the author. And each author writes the story out of what he/she likes, needs, wants, etc.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #51
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Is there a good amount of gay literature across the various genres? I like a bit of a love interest in my books, so I imagine it would be less fullfilling if the romance were between two women, since I could probably not relate as well.
Most gay fiction these days is written by women. It can work well, but often rings a little false. There's this whole idea of women fulfilling a fantasy and writing "a chick with a dick". In the last gay novel I read, a guy was in a restaurant with his boyfriend and he was jealous because the waitress was coming onto his boyfriend, which, to a gay guy, is laughable. If his boyfriend's gay, why would he care about the waitress? He'd be more likely to feel sorry for the girl, so yeah, things like that are annoying.

But the larger picture of having you imagine reading what it would be like to watch two girls fall in love (or two guys). For a gay guy, that's just about every book and movie we've ever seen - two straight people falling in love.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #52
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Young View Post
Most gay fiction these days is written by women. It can work well, but often rings a little false. There's this whole idea of women fulfilling a fantasy and writing "a chick with a dick". In the last gay novel I read, a guy was in a restaurant with his boyfriend and he was jealous because the waitress was coming onto his boyfriend, which, to a gay guy, is laughable. If his boyfriend's gay, why would he care about the waitress? He'd be more likely to feel sorry for the girl, so yeah, things like that are annoying.

But the larger picture of having you imagine reading what it would be like to watch two girls fall in love (or two guys). For a gay guy, that's just about every book and movie we've ever seen - two straight people falling in love.
The Donald Strachey books by Richard Stevenson are wonderful as are the movies, and I liked the Dave Brandstetter books by Joseph Hansen. Also Josh Lanyon and Anthony Bidulka are worth reading.

Lots of others but memory fails at the moment.

BTW you don't have to be gay to enjoy these books, they are just IMO good books

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #53
forgottenbooks
forgottenbooks began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I agree with the previous replies. A good plot and good characters.
And most importantly writer must create the willingness of user to read further.
forgottenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #54
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
The best books for me are books I lose myself in. If I'm aware that I'm reading then the book has failed.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book, good, reading