Notices

Old 02-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
imageraw
Connoisseur
imageraw began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-650
Sony "forgets" pdf titles?

hello,

not entirely sure I should post this at the Calibre forum. Anyway, it here goes:

after backing up and formatting my Sony PRS-650 due to file error (one of the memory cards, I guess) I stored back all my articles and books on it....

...(the back-up: I didn't use the Calibre folder, I copied and pasted all the files into a desktop folder + copied them back after formatting it)...

...both the titles and the author's name of all my PDF articles appeared correctly on both Calibre and Sony before the format (I had to amend most of them one by one through Calibre after saving them for the first time on the Sony - because either Sony or Calibre did not often show the title and the author but other metadata, for some reason)...

...now, after the format, I'm back to square one: most of my PDF files (on both Calibre and Sony) do not display the "correct" metadata (or the one I want/amended). I had a look at the Calibre folder (untouched during the format and back-up) and realised that whatever I originally amended through Calibre was ignored and the articles stored in the folder carry the metadata Calibre (or Sony?) assigned to them...

...sorry about the wordy post and if this has been dealt with elsewhere (couldn't find info) - I'm not a tech savy but would like very much to prevent this from happening again in the future...

can you plz help? thanks!
imageraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:36 AM   #2
imageraw
Connoisseur

bump? is my post confusing? will be happy to clarify anything that sounds obscure/opaque/etc.

I don't quite understand metadata - particularly why two articles downloaded from the same journal issue as pdf should display different behaviours on calibre: one of them shows the right title and author, and the other one shows (for instance) cryptic stuff like mes1100095a as the title and unknown as the author.

If I check their metadata on Calibre, I see no difference in terms of format. In the Calibre folder, though, after uploading them on the Sony, one ends up in a "unknown" folder and the other appears in a folder named after its author.

This happens five times out of ten. I now realize this post might look better in the Calibre forum...assuming that the Sony has got nothing to do with it?
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 05:10 AM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I suggest you drag your pdf's into the Calibre library and redo the metadata by hand.

Personally I organize my files on a 650 into windows-stlye folders using Prs+. I recommend you do the same. The whole sony collections system is a bit of a black art.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:54 AM   #4
imageraw
Connoisseur

Thanks Rizla.

I too use PRS+, though the problem persists. When you say "I suggest you drag your pdf's into the Calibre library and redo the metadata by hand", do you mean I should re-do it through Calibre or directly in the Calibre folder?

In this respect: I now have all my articles (equally organized in folders) on both the Sony and my PC. If I connect the Sony to the PC and use the "Edit Metadata (individually)" on the Calibre, is this going to affect title and author as they appear on the Sony and Calibre folder only?
Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
imageraw
Connoisseur

so now I've renamed all my PDF articles on "Card B" - the Sony card as Calibre sees it. I sent them all to the Calibre library, to no avail: now they look fine on "Card B" (and on the Sony when I turn it on) but on the Calibre library titles and authors are completely out of control.

I also tried the "Edit Metadata" (which only works on the main library, for some reason) but it just doesn't get me anywhere: I can change/fill in any PDF title and author, but after clicking on "save" nothing has changed, neither on Calibre nor at the Calibre folder. In addition, Calibre doesn't let me transfer the metadata-modified file to the Sony for a pile of reasons which I don't understand.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Advert
Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
imageraw
Connoisseur

so now I've renamed all my PDF articles on "Card B" - the Sony card as Calibre sees it. I sent them all to the Calibre library, to no avail: now they look fine on "Card B" (and on the Sony when I turn it on) but on the Calibre library titles and authors are completely out of control.

I also tried the "Edit Metadata" (which only works on the main library, for some reason) but it just doesn't get me anywhere: I can change/fill in any PDF title and author, but after clicking on "save" nothing has changed, neither on Calibre nor at the Calibre folder. In addition, Calibre doesn't let me transfer the metadata-modified file to the Sony for a pile of reasons which I don't understand.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
To change the metadata on an epub, you have to change it in calibre then do save to disk or send to device.

Try doing the same thing with pdf. It might work. Also, it might generate an .opf file with the pdf that will carry the metadata.

There is a thread about it here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45045

If you're still not sure, I suggest you post a thread in the calibre section, asking something like 'How do I update pdf metadata from Calibre?'

Also, this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83714

It might work, it might not. Good luck!

Last edited by Rizla; 03-01-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote