Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
SeNS
Enthusiast
SeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enough

Device: Google Nexus 7
Thumbs up TinyOPDS server: your personal home OPDS library

Hello everybody!

I'd like to introduce TinyOPDS server: a lightweight, simple and effective, open source OPDS server, written on C#.

Project home page: https://tinyopds.codeplex.com
Supported languages: English & Russian
Supported ebook formats: fb2, epub (and these formats in zip archives)

Sorry, there are no English "howto"/wiki/FAQ - I'm very short in time now (and - helpers wanted!). Also, developer's guide and planned features will be published soon.

However TinyOPDS is a really "one click" solution, so I don't expect much questions "how to use it?"

Enjoi!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen1-en.jpg
Views:	2455
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	104399  

Last edited by SeNS; 04-15-2013 at 03:15 PM.
SeNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Looks nice but it would not find any of my eBooks. I pointed it to My Digital Editions where ADE can read all of the books and it reported all books to be invalid. Scanning a second time doubled to number of invalid books but of course it just counted all of them again.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Looks nice but it would not find any of my eBooks. I pointed it to My Digital Editions where ADE can read all of the books and it reported all books to be invalid. Scanning a second time doubled to number of invalid books but of course it just counted all of them again.

Dale
Probably doesn't work with DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Probably doesn't work with DRM.
Most do not have DRM. It found none. I suspect that the directory name had spaces in it perhaps caused problems but I have no idea why it failed to find a single book. Did it work for you?

Dale
Old 04-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
SeNS
Enthusiast
SeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enough

DaleDe, could you please send me (just share using SkyDrive or DropBox) your books for test? I promise - I'll delete all of 'em after my tests

P.S. Unfortunately, epubs (especially comparing with fb2!) are very informal and messy. Still can't forgive myself for the lack of fb2 promotions in the old days

P.P.S. BTW, I've already tested TinyOPDS on the bunch of epubs (approx. 5K), most converted by Calibre.

Last edited by SeNS; 04-15-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeNS View Post
DaleDe, could you please send me (just share using SkyDrive or DropBox) your books for test? I promise - I'll delete all of 'em after my tests

P.S. Unfortunately, epubs (especially comparing with fb2!) are very informal and messy. Still can't forgive myself for the lack of fb2 promotions in the old days

P.P.S. BTW, I've already tested TinyOPDS on the bunch of epubs (approx. 5K), most converted by Calibre.
I do not know the difference. I did switch to my fb2 folder and it found 9 out of 10 eBooks. It seems these will stay in the database when I switch folders. But I have checked hundreds of eBooks, many from our own ePub library which you can freely download from our forum. I have yet to find one that works.

I am running Windows 7 professional 32 bit. How do you determine a valid book? In epub every book has a fixed starting place inside the zip file and you just need to follow the links from that fixed file. Always look inside the META-INF folder and read the container.xml file.

How can I look at what is in the database?

Dale
Old 04-15-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
SeNS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
How can I look at what is in the database?
Dale, first of all, you may try to turn on logging, and post/send your log-file. Second option: you may install VS (trial or free version), checkout the code and see what's happened by yourself - it's a beauty of open source
Old 04-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Dale, first of all, you may try to turn on logging, and post/send your log-file. Second option: you may install VS (trial or free version), checkout the code and see what's happened by yourself - it's a beauty of open source
How do I turn on logging?

Dale
Old 04-16-2013, 06:12 AM   #9
SeNS
Enthusiast

"Miscellaneous" tab, check "Save log to file"
Old 04-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
"Miscellaneous" tab, check "Save log to file"
Thanks, Here is the results:

10:47:05.8 I Control Directory scanner started
10:47:05.9 E BookParser exception Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
10:47:05.9 E BookParser exception Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
10:47:06.0 E BookParser exception Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

And a lot more just like this line. It also seems that everytime I run it there is a new database created. I know have a large number of 0 length database files.

Dale
Old 04-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How do I configure the OPDS Server settings?
Old 04-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
SeNS
Enthusiast

Dale, do you have .NET 4.0 installed? Could you try to install/repair, and run TinyOPDS again?
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=17851

And what is the OS version?
Old 04-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
SeNS
Enthusiast

Quote:
How do I configure the OPDS Server settings?
Which ones? As for OPDS, you can configure just a server name, port and prefix ("virtual directory").

Probably in future I'll add "items per page threshold", that's all. I want to keep TinyOPDS simple as is.

Last edited by SeNS; 04-16-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I cannot set the URLs.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #15
SeNS
Enthusiast

Quote:
I cannot set the URLs.
Pardon me? You don't need to! Just:
  • set you ebook folder on the first tab;
  • press "Scan" button;
  • goto second tab page;
  • open your ebook reader, for example, "Moon+ Reader" on your Android handset and add OPDS source, by typing local or external IP shown on that page;
  • you're allset: you may start using your personal OPDS server!

OK, I'll write "howto" or some kind of guide soon; may be, someone will help me to correct English grammar.