Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
MooseBear
MooseBear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch semi brick(diags only)

My Kindle Touch is currently stuck in the diags screens. I have gone through many posts regarding this issue and although there is some amazing information on this site, I can't seem to get them to work. Here are the things I've tried and where I've gotten stuck.

* Running Windows 7 Home
** NOTE: When my Kindle enters Diags, it always runs a MOVINAND test and tells me it passed and to send to next station. I'm not sure what this means.
*** USB device mode does work
*** I should also mention that an OTA update is what caused my kindle to enter diags mode, not something I was messing with.

Things I've Tried:
1) Disable Diagnostics- I get a "device_info.xml not found, check device setting" error

2) Guide to debricking Kindle Touch V3.pdf- I get MfgTool to see the HID-compliant device, but when I put fastboot on, my computer recognizes it as an android device, and I can't locate the kindle in my device manage to try and load the Kindle-fastboot.inf driver. So no device called kindle_fastboot to be seen anywhere. But since I can get into the diags menu, I'm not sure how critical an issue this is. However, when I try to use the command line and fastboot.exe to flash mmcblk0p2_ssh.img, I get a waiting for device error.

3) I've also tried installing fastboot from the diags menu, but it still causes a waiting for device error, and I don't know how to verify that I it really is in fastboot mode. It just boots back into the same menu.

4) I've tried installing Ubuntu and doing it straight from unix but still get the issue with waiting for device.

5)I've tried using the Runme.sh file as well, but once I reboot, the file is gone and there is no Runme.done or log.txt file to be seen anywhere.

I think that's all I've tried so far. I appreciate any help and I apologize if I missed anything obvious or if my issue has already been resolved in another post. I searched before I posted, I promise.

Last edited by MooseBear; 07-06-2012 at 03:39 AM.
MooseBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You probably need the empty diagnostic_logs/device_info.xml file on the root of your userstore to exit diags properly (check the latest jailbreak packages).

You might want to wait for someone else to confirm that you haven't done something horrible to your device before trying to reboot, though .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2012, 03:38 AM   #3
MooseBear

Thanks! I'll go do some research on that. I'm sure if I mess it up even more someone here could save me. :-)
Old 07-06-2012, 03:57 AM   #4
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
In Windows in device manager the Kindle will not be shown as "Kindle", but like something else, probably something like "Android device", if you have installed Android drivers.
In Linux, you need to run fastboot under root by:

sudo ./fastboot flash diags mmcblk0p2_ssh.img

If you have problems with root password, type "sudo passwd" in terminal and type new password which you need to remember and which you will type when executing fastboot after that.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
MooseBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
You probably need the empty diagnostic_logs/device_info.xml file on the root of your userstore to exit diags properly (check the latest jailbreak packages).

You might want to wait for someone else to confirm that you haven't done something horrible to your device before trying to reboot, though .
Thanks for your advice. However once I put a blank device_info.xml in the diagnostic_logs folder, I get another error stating:

Mac address and manufacturing code do not match

Mac address:

Manufactuing code:

Invalid <====== Yikes!

I tried doing some research but couldn't find any help with this problem. Thanks in advance everyone!
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseBear View Post
Thanks for your advice. However once I put a blank device_info.xml in the diagnostic_logs folder, I get another error stating:

Mac address and manufacturing code do not match

Mac address:

Manufactuing code:

Invalid <====== Yikes!

I tried doing some research but couldn't find any help with this problem. Thanks in advance everyone!
You can rewrite those values with correct values with the diags idme command. Do not change your serial, pcbsn, or mac address. Copying the Mfg code from another K5 may be okay. Use the diags "idme -d" command to write them.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
MooseBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You can rewrite those values with correct values with the diags idme command. Do not change your serial, pcbsn, or mac address. Copying the Mfg code from another K5 may be okay. Use the diags "idme -d" command to write them.
Thanks GeekMaster, seems like I'm back to square one: trying to get SSH to work.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks GeekMaster, seems like I'm back to square one: trying to get SSH to work.
There is also a diags command to rewrite them from an XML file, but I do not know what the format is.

On my first K4, all the idme vars got replaced with spaces, and it need to know the PCBSN to know how to init RAM. I had to create a custom u-boot that WROTE my known values into mmc. Then I copied the partitions and kernels from my new K4 onto the old one. They both work now... The dead K4 was my main reason for figuring out how to create a custom MfgTool profile (later published in the "select boot" thread).

Can you boot to main with MfgTool? Can you flash diags_ssh with fastboot so you have SSH in diags?

There is now a 5.1.0 main image with jailbreak and ssh pre-installed.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #9
MooseBear

Quote:
There is also a diags command to rewrite them from an XML file, but I do not know what the format is.

On my first K4, all the idme vars got replaced with spaces, and it need to know the PCBSN to know how to init RAM. I had to create a custom u-boot that WROTE my known values into mmc. Then I copied the partitions and kernels from my new K4 onto the old one. They both work now... The dead K4 was my main reason for figuring out how to create a custom MfgTool profile (later published in the "select boot" thread).

Can you boot to main with MfgTool? Can you flash diags_ssh with fastboot so you have SSH in diags?

There is now a 5.1.0 main image with jailbreak and ssh pre-installed.
Using mfgtool, I tried flashing diags, fastboot, and main. Each will say they are successful, but only the diags flash results in a reboot of my kindle.

When I try to use fastboot, I'm stuck "waiting for device".

It seems my kindle really likes to be in diags mode and doesn't want to let me ssh into it and fix it.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #10
geekmaster

Quote:
Using mfgtool, I tried flashing diags, fastboot, and main. Each will say they are successful, but only the diags flash results in a reboot of my kindle.

When I try to use fastboot, I'm stuck "waiting for device".

It seems my kindle really likes to be in diags mode and doesn't want to let me ssh into it and fix it.
Unless you have hardware problems or a damaged bootloader, or download or storage problems causing corrupt image files, there is no (known) reason for this debricking method to fail.

The fastboot problem could be that libusb-win32 is not configured properly, or that fastboot mode is dropping out because of a USB reset. Try saving fastboot mode in diags (install fastboot bundle). Then reboot should go directly to fastboot mode. Try using a linux fastboot program.

EXACTLY what commands did you use and what were the results? We have had plenty of problems lately from people saying they followed the instructions, only to find out later that they flashed the wrong files to the wrong partitions. Seeing what you did can help diagnose this problem. Just SAYING that you followed the instructions and they did not work places you in the same situation we saw for people who said the same thing, but skipped steps or flashed the wrong images.

Please provide enough information to find out WHY your debricking is problematic.

Thanks.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-18-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #11
MooseBear

Quote:
Unless you have hardware problems or a damaged bootloader, or download or storage problems causing corrupt image files, there is no (known) reason for this debricking method to fail.

The fastboot problem could be that libusb-win32 is not configured properly, or that fastboot mode is dropping out because of a USB reset. Try saving fastboot mode in diags (install fastboot bundle). Then reboot should go directly to fastboot mode. Try using a linux fastboot program.

EXACTLY what commands did you use and what were the results? We have had plenty of problems lately from people saying they followed the instructions, only to find out later that they flashed the wrong files to the wrong partitions. Seeing what you did can help diagnose this problem. Just SAYING that you followed the instructions and they did not work places you in the same situation we saw for people who said the same thing, but skipped steps or flashed the wrong images.

Please provide enough information to find out WHY your debricking is problematic.

Thanks.
I apologize for not providing enough information. I will focus each post on a technique I tried and will provide as much detail as possible.

Method: Fastboot Install from Diags

- Selected Fastboot Bundle Install
- Kindle asked: Are you sure? So I selected D) To continue
- After 8 secs, Kindle reboots and I get the Amazon Tree screen
- I then get a "Enter MOVINAND Test" screen
- Then it says DIAGS PASSED Send This Unit to the Next Station
- Selected Exit which brings me back to the Exit, Reboot, or Disable Diags screen

Edit: This was all done with the kindle plugged into my laptop for charging purposes.

How do I verify that I am in fastboot mode?

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by MooseBear; 07-19-2012 at 06:03 PM.