Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
jndlsrj
jndlsrj began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone 4
E-reader which can read DOC files as ebooks....???

Hi friends.....
I need some help regarding IOS apps....

I have several hundreds of short stories in .doc format (MS Word) which I want to read on my Jailbroken Iphone 4.

I want an e-reader which can change font of the .doc files and basic paging or scrolling function.
I Do Not need any more features like bookmarks,annotations,remembering last reading point etc.

I tried many Office applications and all of them have editing options.As soon as I tap on the sreen to scroll,I goes to edit mode which makes reading too annoying.

Basically I need an app which can treat the .doc files as epubs without advanced functions.

If it is not possible,please suggest me a way to bulk convert these doc files to epub's which could create the epub's in the same folder as the original files(unlike Calibre's library) or in a specified folder.

Thanks.
jndlsrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Documents to Go can read .doc files. It can also change the font, etc. You just scroll down the page by holding a finger on it and pulling down. It doesn't bring up a menu when you do that.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
sumguy
Connoisseur
sumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
might be simpler to convert them to .txt files and use GoodReader. I'm sure there are plenty of .doc->.txt batch converters around if you google it...
sumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumguy View Post
might be simpler to convert them to .txt files and use GoodReader. I'm sure there are plenty of .doc->.txt batch converters around if you google it...
Converting to text loses all formatting; they'd probably prefer to keep bold, italics & centered text options.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:35 AM   #5
jndlsrj

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Documents to Go can read .doc files. It can also change the font, etc. You just scroll down the page by holding a finger on it and pulling down. It doesn't bring up a menu when you do that.
Everytime I double tap on screen,the editing options and keyboard comes up.
Also I would have to select all text first and them increase font size everytime a new file is opened,which will be annoying with hundreds of such files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Converting to text loses all formatting; they'd probably prefer to keep bold, italics & centered text options.
Yes,the formatting will be necessary.

Is there a good rtf reader.I may be able to batch convert them to rtf.
I think goodreader doesn't support them.

And Thanks for all the replies.
Advert
Old 07-10-2012, 04:12 AM   #6
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/ebook...413897025?mt=8

I dont know how good it is, but it reads doc, chm, rtf etc. as well as epub. Does not read DRM files. Also does PDF.

I used it for a while just for epubs, but reverted to Stanza PDQ

[edit] gave it a whirl on several .doc files I have here. If you change the font in general settings, it will be applied to the doc file. Its not immediate as it is with epub, but it happens, you'll be scrolling the file rather than paging, and the margins seem quite wide. You'll also see your italics etc as defined in the file. Not sure about bold, I havent any files with bolded text. I assume that would work too.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 07-10-2012 at 06:05 AM. Reason: more info
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
jndlsrj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/ebook...413897025?mt=8

I dont know how good it is, but it reads doc, chm, rtf etc. as well as epub. Does not read DRM files. Also does PDF.

I used it for a while just for epubs, but reverted to Stanza PDQ

[edit] gave it a whirl on several .doc files I have here. If you change the font in general settings, it will be applied to the doc file. Its not immediate as it is with epub, but it happens, you'll be scrolling the file rather than paging, and the margins seem quite wide. You'll also see your italics etc as defined in the file. Not sure about bold, I havent any files with bolded text. I assume that would work too.

Hope this helps.
I tried it and as you said in edit,the font changes.But the pages scroll left and right also.
I think that is the closest I can get.

I will try rtf and epub conversions and see if it suits me better.

Thanks a lot for all your and replies.:thank s:
Old 07-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jndlsrj View Post

And Thanks for all the replies.
The older Sonys read RTF--the 505, 300/350 and 600/650 line. The T1 no longer supports RTF.

For RTFs on the 505, I've found that the default font size (12 pt Times) is very tiny, and even setting the size to max on the reader is barely readable. I tend to set the font at 14 or 15 points, and if I'm setting it up for my husband on his 300, I set it at 16 or 17 as the base size.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
sumguy
Connoisseur
sumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jndlsrj View Post
Everytime I double tap on screen,the editing options and keyboard comes up.
Also I would have to select all text first and them increase font size everytime a new file is opened,which will be annoying with hundreds of such files.

GoodReader does support RTF, including bold & italic - but also including the font and font size. You can't change the font size within the app. You can zoom in of course, but then it doesn't reflow it. I'd think it would be hard to find an RTF reader that lets you set the font & font size while still keeping the bold/italic formatting. For example, what does it do when there's a mix of helvetica and times fonts? Change all the fonts to one? Possible, but unusual.

Another approach might be, in the conversion to RTF process, to just pick a good font and font size that works on your device, and change the documents to that before saving as RTF.
sumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
I believe Quickoffice has a "view mode" where no editing can be done and you can just read your documents. you can edit the font and other stuff using the "edit mode"
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oh never mind....

Last edited by kyteflyer; 07-11-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #12
jndlsrj

Ok,So I was not satisfied with the ebookmobi's doc reading,so I thought of converting the files to epub.
I used this script----
Code:
for %%I in (*.doc) do "%PROGRAMFILES%\AbiWord\bin\AbiWord.exe" --to=html "%%I"
for %%I in (*.html) do "%PROGRAMFILES%\Calibre2\ebook-convert.exe" "%%I" "%%~nI.epub"
which I found in this thread-
Code:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=817200
It works very well except one thing.
Abiword replaces all spaces with the "%20"(without quotes) in the title field which it takes from the filename.
Is there any way to keep the title as the filename but the space should occur as space instead of %20.

I also tried using some other applications instead of abiword but they didn't work well with many files.
Are there any other command line utilities which may present better results for doc to epub creation through batch files.

Thanks.

P.S Should I post this in any other section.?
Old 07-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #13
jndlsrj

I just found the solution.Didn't know how to edit the post so posting a new reply.

I just used the --title option of Calibre command line.
Now my script goes like this-
Code:
for %%I in (*.doc) do "C:\Program Files\AbiWord\bin\AbiWord.exe" --to=html "%%I"
for %%I in (*.html) do "C:\Program Files\Calibre2\ebook-convert.exe" "%%I" "%%~nI.epub" --no-default-epub-cover --title "%%~nI"
But thanks a lot for the help by this wonderful forum.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
kyteflyer
Wizard

Glad you finally found the solution that suits you
Old 07-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #15
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
Wow, all that work for just a document reader huh? Hopefully, future ebooks will expand accepted file types so things like this won't happen anymore.
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote