Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #31
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Thanks, Dale, I appreciate that and should it really come to a deletion, I'll definitely switch.

My points from the beginning of this thread still stand, though, (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...07&postcount=3) and for now I hope the article will be kept.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #32
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I'd move it if I were you. There are precious few others contributing and you've done the hard yards already... I can't imagine why someone (whoever the heck Deb is) would want to delete. Seems to me she must have become the Wiki Police or something. I think there are still many people who would find the article extremely useful, and having it on mobileread would seem a logical progression.

Additionally, we all can presumably add/edit articles on the MR Wiki, so the same situation applies... just in a different location.

@Dale: would it be easy to import an article from Wikipedia, or would it have to be written up again from the start? (Ie: import, copy/paste, or laboriously reconstruct?)

[edit] I've just gone to read the discussion but have not weighed in, and probably won't, Wiki entries confuse me. Deb seems hell bent on getting it deleted. I looked at her rationale and the ONLY thing that I can see which might fit the criteria NOTCATALOG is the fact that prices are included for a few listed apps. I wonder if it might be worthwhile considering completely dropping all references to cost? People can see for themselves whether theres a cost attached when they visit the app's website.

[edit#2] Reading the rationale for deletion again, I'm observing value judgements... How does this individual know that individual pages are not merited? Has she used the software herself? Doubtful. I wanted to ask (before the edit page terrified me and I ran away) what she thought would make it meritorious, given that it is information about a particular genre of software and that is all it is intended as. I think the deletion request is simply vexatious, but...

Last edited by kyteflyer; 05-16-2013 at 04:58 PM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #33
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Wikipedia and the MobileRead Wiki use the same wiki engine. The syntax is identical.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #34
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Wikipedia and the MobileRead Wiki use the same wiki engine. The syntax is identical.

Dale
Yes, I know. I got that when you said so before... I just didnt know if there was a direct import option somehow.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #35
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Yes, I know. I got that when you said so before... I just didnt know if there was a direct import option somehow.
Direct import is to edit the source, select and copy the page, and then go to MobileRead and open a new page and paste it in. Any reference to external places will be fine but any references to internal wikipedia pages would need to be adjusted to mobileread pages or the reference itself should be removed although having a link to an empty page does not mean the page is bad. The mechanism of wiki servers does not allow a page to be inserted without the server knowing about it. We get enough spam the way it is without allowing some page to sneak in with a direct import.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #36
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Direct import is to edit the source, select and copy the page, and then go to MobileRead and open a new page and paste it in. Any reference to external places will be fine but any references to internal wikipedia pages would need to be adjusted to mobileread pages or the reference itself should be removed although having a link to an empty page does not mean the page is bad. The mechanism of wiki servers does not allow a page to be inserted without the server knowing about it. We get enough spam the way it is without allowing some page to sneak in with a direct import.

Dale
Thanks, thats what I was curious about. Seems like an easy fix, with minimal editing.