Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
tvk24
tvk24 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Amazon's Personal Document Service

I used amazons free service using email to convert a pdf file, and i got it converted in 2min.
My pdf was a story book with page numbering and has contents, but the converted file removed all the page numbering and it look clean and formatted in a kindle readable. but no TOC, its ok but

If i do the conversion in mobi or calibre i still get the page numbers and its not formatted properly.

What technology amazon is using and how it is fast.
tvk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvk24 View Post
I used amazons free service using email to convert a pdf file, and i got it converted in 2min.
My pdf was a story book with page numbering and has contents, but the converted file removed all the page numbering and it look clean and formatted in a kindle readable. but no TOC, its ok but

If i do the conversion in mobi or calibre i still get the page numbers and its not formatted properly.

What technology amazon is using and how it is fast.
Difference is Amazon probably is using templates to crop out info, where as Calibre does everything.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
PDFtoEpub does a good job with text based PDF, and despite its name it outputs mobi files too. It was free when I got it, not sure if it still is or not. You can actually set Calibre up to crop off common strings like headers and page numbers, but it's quite fiddly to use.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
PDFtoEpub does a good job with text based PDF, and despite its name it outputs mobi files too. It was free when I got it, not sure if it still is or not. You can actually set Calibre up to crop off common strings like headers and page numbers, but it's quite fiddly to use.
Today is the last day for it. The website says it is to run through August, or until they got 20,000 takers. I signed up for it, and got a keycode, so I assume that they've not hit 20k. If they extend it into September, I don't know. Best get it now to be sure.

Here's the link if you want to go for it
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
They were saying the same thing when I got it, except with it ending on a different month.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert