Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-27-2015, 11:19 AM   #1336
Brazen_NL
Slobbering Dog
Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2/iPad/iPhone
Out on the wiley, windy moors
We'd roll and fall in green
Brazen_NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:41 AM   #1337
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen_NL View Post
Ah! Big clue right there.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #1338
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I'm taking that as a guess, so it's over to you.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #1339
Brazen_NL
Slobbering Dog
Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brazen_NL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm taking that as a guess, so it's over to you.
Ah, well, I couldn't believe I got this one since it's been so long since I read it, so I wanted to drop another clue. Shouldn't have messed with your quote, sorry.

Anyway, here goes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excerpt
But then a bubbling tenor voice said kindly, "Do not fear. It is a dream." The reassurance spread over him like a blanket. But he could not feel it with his hands, and the ambulance kept on moving. Needing the blanket, he clenched at the empty air until his knuckles were white with loneliness.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:27 PM   #1340
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The first two sentences make me think A Christmas Carol, but I doubt that is it.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2015, 01:45 PM   #1341
Brazen_NL
Slobbering Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
The first two sentences make me think A Christmas Carol, but I doubt that is it.
It isn't. However, like Christmas, it's also fantasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excerpt
But then a bubbling tenor voice said kindly, "Do not fear. It is a dream." The reassurance spread over him like a blanket. But he could not feel it with his hands, and the ambulance kept on moving. Needing the blanket, he clenched at the empty air until his knuckles were white with loneliness.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:05 AM   #1342
Brazen_NL
Slobbering Dog

Okay, let's add a second excerpt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excerpt 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excerpt 2
A real man—real in all the ways that we recognize as real—finds himself suddenly abstracted from the world and deposited in a physical situation which could not possibly exist: sounds have aroma, smells have color and depth, sights have texture, touches have pitch and timbre. There he is informed by a disembodied voice that he has been brought to that place as a champion for his world. He must fight to the death in single combat against a champion from another world. If he is defeated, he will die, and his world—the real world—will be destroyed because it lacks the inner strength to survive.

The man refuses to believe that what he is told is true. He asserts that he is either dreaming or hallucinating, and declines to be put in the false position of fighting to the death where no "real" danger exists. He is implacable in his determination to disbelieve his apparent situation, and does not defend himself when he is attacked by the champion of the other world.

Question: Is the man's behavior courageous or cowardly? This is the fundamental question of ethics.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:37 AM   #1343
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's a very long time since I read it, but it reminds me of Lord Foul's Bane the first book of the Thomas Covenant Chronicles?
Old 03-06-2015, 08:38 AM   #1344
Brazen_NL
Slobbering Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
It's a very long time since I read it, but it reminds me of Lord Foul's Bane the first book of the Thomas Covenant Chronicles?
Old 03-06-2015, 08:42 AM   #1345
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Seriously? About all I can remember is that he gets leprosy, and then starts "dreaming" of weird lands in a time past/elsewhere.

Will have to think about a new challenge then...
Old 03-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #1346
Brazen_NL
Slobbering Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Seriously? About all I can remember is that he gets leprosy, and then starts "dreaming" of weird lands in a time past/elsewhere.

Will have to think about a new challenge then...
My next excerpt would be about leprosy, followed by the rape scene, then name dropping. But, you got it from the writing style I hope!
Old 03-06-2015, 09:26 AM   #1347
orlok
Close to the Edit!

"The boy with fair hair lowered himself down the last few feet of rock and began to pick his way toward the lagoon. Though he had taken off his school sweater and trailed it now from one hand, his grey shirt stuck to him and his hair was plastered to his forehead. All round him the long scar smashed into the jungle was a bath of heat."
Old 03-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #1348
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
My next excerpt would be about leprosy, followed by the rape scene, then name dropping. But, you got it from the writing style I hope!
Not really the style, more the fact that he was in an ambulance and obviously ill, followed by the scene where he is not sure if he is dreaming or really experiencing what's happening to him. Don't remember the rape scene...
Old 03-06-2015, 09:33 AM   #1349
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Lord of the Flies?

[edit]
No, I think I'm wrong.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #1350
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Lord of the Flies?

[edit]
No, I think I'm wrong.
Well, I was going to say Lord of the Flies too.

I haven't read it since school, but it sounds an awful lot like it.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote