Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #61
Mussgorsky
Mussgorsky began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I would like to nominate Robin Cook's novel Outbreak

from Kobo.."Murder and intrigue reach epidemic proportions when a devastating plague sweeps the country. Dr. Marissa Blumenthal of the Atlanta Centers for Disease Control investigates--and soon uncovers the medical world's deadliest secret..."
Mussgorsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #62
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I need to sit it out for June. Still reading AK!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #63
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
There are now 8 fully nominated books listed in post #1 with all nominations listed in post #2.

The below is pending other opinions, as I found it listed under another genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'll nominate Thirteen by Richard K. Morgan. It's sounds like a thriller/suspense/scifi.
Is this Thriller/Suspense? I found it listed as Science Fiction, Science Fiction And Fantasy.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
There are now 8 fully nominated books listed in post #1 with all nominations listed in post #2.

The below is pending other opinions, as I found it listed under another genre.
Naked in Death is not a thriller or suspense. It's just a plain old mystery with some romance. It doesn't belong in the list to be nominated. It's as much on topic as Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder is. Both are just murder mysteries. I have read Naked in Death so I know it is not a fit for this month's topic.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-22-2011 at 03:55 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #65
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for you comments, Jon. Based on that I've searched some more and I've found Naked in Death by J. D. Robb listed as below:
Romance, Mysteries & Thrillers, Suspense | Thrillers / Adventures | Romance | Mystery, Mystery & Detective, Romance

So, I will hold it for now unless there are other objections to it being included in this month's nominations.

EDIT: I've put spoiler tags on my previous thoughts and have added.. We are so close to having the 10 fully nominated books, so I will put Thirteen (published as Black Man in Britian) back up with the question about fit for category and the same for Naked in Death.
Spoiler:
[Based on the below information, I am removing Thirteen (Black Man) by Richard K. Morgan from the nominations as it doesn't fit this month's genre.]

I also found the below (on Amazon) for Thirteen by Richard K. Morgan (Thirteen, published simultaneously in Britain as Black Man):
Science Fiction, Science Fiction And Fantasy

"Thirteen, published simultaneously in Britain as Black Man, tackles some difficult issues, including race and identity. The result is perhaps less compelling than some of Morgan's previous work, and the novel could have been shorter. Still, the author can hardly be accused of simply retreading familiar ground. Thirteen is a solid effort for Morgan's devotees, as well as a good read for fans of military sci-fi with a twist." and "This stellar new stand-alone from Morgan, known for his compelling future noir thrillers (Altered Carbon, etc.), raises tantalizing questions about the nature of humanity. Future governments have used genetic manipulation to create subhumans twisted to fit specialized tasks. Normal people are intrigued as well as repulsed, but they instinctively dread variation thirteen, an aggressive, ruthless throwback to a time before civilization. When a thirteen escapes from exile on Mars and apparently goes on an insane killing spree, Carl Marsalis, a soul-weary freelance thirteen hit man, is hired to help track him down. Morgan goes beyond the SF cliché of the genetically enhanced superman to examine how personality is shaped by nature and experience. Marsalis is more empathetic than the normal people around him, but they can see him only as an untrustworthy killer. At the same time, surveying corrupt, fractured normal society, the novel questions whether the thirteens are just less successful at hiding their motives. Without slowing down the headlong rush of the action, the complex, looping plot suggests that all people may be less—or more—than they seem."

Black Man (Thirteen in the US) by Richard Morgan - Fiction, Science Fiction WHSmith eBooks UK

Synopsis from B&N as a near-future science fiction.

Richard K. Morgan's Thirteen is near-future science fiction, very much in the vein of Bladerunner. When the entire crew of a transport from Mars is killed by a stowaway who turns out to be a violent superhuman from a failed government program, Carl Marsalis is given a choice: use his own heightened powers to hunt down the killer, or face a fate worse than death.

Last edited by dreams; 05-22-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Advert
Old 05-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Science fiction can also be of other genres. I've read a lot of SF that are just mysteries in an alternate world. I'm not 100% positive, but Thirteen does sound like it could be on topic as suspense.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-22-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #67
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Science fiction can also be of other genres. I've read a lot of SF that are just mysteries in an alternate world. And it I'm not 100% positive, but Thirteen does sound like it could be on topic as suspense.
We are so close to having the 10 fully nominated books, so I will put Thirteen (published as Black Man in Britian) back up with the question about fit for category and the same for Naked in Death.

I will edit my post #65 with the information also.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #68
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
i'll third heatwave with my last ballot.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'll nominate yet another book that's sure to please... Let's have a round of applause for...The Book of Fate by Brad Meltzer. Reading the description may make you want to read it now instead of waiting for it to win.

Quote:
In six minutes, one of us would be dead. None of us knew it was coming...

So says Wes Holloway, a once-cocky and ambitious presidential aide, about the day that changed his life forever. On that Fourth of July, Wes put Ron Boyle, the chief executive's oldest friend, into the presidential limousine. By the time the trip came to an end, Wes was permanently disfigured, and Boyle was dead, the victim of a crazed assassin.

Eight years later, Boyle is spotted, alive and well, in Malaysia. In that moment, Wes has the chance to undo the worst day of his life. Trying to figure out what really happened takes Wes back to a decade old presidential crossword puzzle, mysterious facts buried in Masonic history, and a two-hundred-year-old code invented by Thomas Jefferson.

But what Wes doesn't realize is that The Book of Fate holds everyone's secrets. Especially the ones worth dying for. The Book of Fate. What does it say about you?

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-24-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: I really don't like editing a post like that when we've clearly had images much much larger with no editing them out.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #70
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Never mind was already nominated.

Last edited by The Terminator; 05-22-2011 at 07:21 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #71
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I guess this would be the correct way to do this. . I nominate The Chamber by John Grisham
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I'll third "The Firm"
The Firm was already thirded. So you can have yout third back.

But, you can second The Book of Fate if you'd like.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #73
dreams
It's about the umbrella

There are 9 fully nominated books and post #1 shows the list.
Post #2 has the complete list of nominations.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #74
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
All right, I'll nominate one to see if we can get our ten I just read it, it was excellent and I'd love to discuss it.

Desert Places by Blake Crouch. And it's only $2.99 at Smashwords.

Summary:"Greetings. There is a body buried on your property, covered in your blood..." Andrew Z. Thomas is a successful thriller writer, living the dream at his lake house. One afternoon, he receives a bizarre letter that threatens his career, his sanity, and the lives of everyone he loves. A murderer is designing his future, and for the life of him, Andrew can't get away.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #75
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I would like to nominate Val McDermid's The Distant Echo.

Synopsis:

Four in the morning, mid-December, and snow is smothering St Andrews. Student Alex Gilbey and his three best friends are staggering home from a party when they stumble upon the body of a young woman. Rosie Duff has been raped, stabbed and left for dead in the ancient Pictish cemetery. And the only suspects are the four young students stained with her blood. Twenty-five years later, Fife police mount a cold case review. Among the unsolved murders they're examining is that of Rosie Duff. But someone else has their own idea of how justice should be done. One of the original quartet dies in a suspicious house fire. Soon after, a second is killed in what looks like a burglary gone sour. But Alex fears the worst. Someone is taking revenge for Rosie Duff. He has to find out who it is before he becomes the next victim. And it might just save his life if he can uncover who really killed Rosie all those years ago.

There's a terrific interview with the author at this link: http://www.valmcdermid.com/pages/interviews6.html which deals specifically with this work.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote