Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
Sethman
Enthusiast
Sethman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
To Root or not to Root?

I've been following the rooting thing now for a couple of weeks and I'm becoming more and more interested in doing it. However I'd like to get some feedback from others who have already traveled that road.

I've had this Nook Color from about the 1st week it came out and I've been very happy with it generally. There are three things that I really use it for. 1st reading, of course. Mostly free Epub books and some PDF's. And those mostly from my library using ADE. I don't have a problem with the Nook reader, but I wouldn't be against getting a better reader. Is Aldiko that reader without loosing any features of the stock reader?

2nd I use it for web browsing. The Nook browser I really don't care for. Is the Dolphin browser so much better the one of choice?

3rd on trips my son would like to watch videos in the car. I've converted a few of his favorites using DVD Catalyst to MPEG4's. They look pretty good. I can convert to DIVX as well on my laptop, which look better, but the Nook doesn't play those. I have no idea if there is a better app for playing videos than what the Nook does now?

I'm not really into games, so that's not a big factor. Also I really don't want to have to spend hours everyday tinkering with the Nook to get things working right. This is getting long, so I would like to appreciate a listing of 'must have' apps to get a rooted nook sailing along and accomplish my 3 most important goals.

Thanks for any advice.
Sethman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethman View Post
...I don't have a problem with the Nook reader, but I wouldn't be against getting a better reader. Is Aldiko that reader without loosing any features of the stock reader?...
Hi,

This thread addresses this question.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115818

Feel free to post additional questions within that thread if they pertain to Aldiko.

Welcome to MobileRead.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
Sethman
Enthusiast

Thanks. I did read that thread. I guess I was really trying to get opinions on whether or not to root with my limited interests.

And if so which apps would be needed to support that.

Maybe I should just do it and if I don't like it go back.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's a personal call. You have to determine if there are any shortcomings in the device from a personal perspective. What do you wish it did (for you) that it presently doesn't do. When you have those (if any), tell us and we can give you some pointers.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Quote:
... Also I really don't want to have to spend hours everyday tinkering with the Nook to get things working right...
I don't think you have to spend hours each day with it, but I think the desire to tinker should be high on your fun list with regard to *any* hacked Android device.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
Sethman
Enthusiast

I guess the only thing I really don't care for is the browser. I wish it was more Firefox like and that it would be easier to zoom in and out.

The stock reader I'm not unhappy with. Just didn't know if the alternatives are vastly much better.

I was hoping B&N would have comeout with what this next update would be doing by now. Big improvements would effect my decision.

I'll figure out what to do shortly.

I do think that this forum has lots of very helpful people. You guys do make rooting tempting.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:19 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
The alternatives are far superior than the nook stock. The best by far on the nook is dolphin hd.

On my stock android phone the android is my favorite
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:47 AM   #8
Girl Read Write
Literary Goodness
Girl Read Write began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPad 2, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, Samsung Infuse
I debated with this for a few days, and within a week of owning my NC I rooted it. I have one major annoying problem with it, but other than that, I find it far superior in every way. I didn't root it for the games or browser or anything like that, I just rooted so I could read Kindle books on my Nook.

I say root it, based on your situation as described. You have more to gain than lose, if that makes sense.
Girl Read Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #9
Sethman
Enthusiast

Quote:
I debated with this for a few days, and within a week of owning my NC I rooted it. I have one major annoying problem with it, but other than that, I find it far superior in every way. I didn't root it for the games or browser or anything like that, I just rooted so I could read Kindle books on my Nook.
Would you mind sharing what that problem is?

My only other concern is what will happen when B&N comes out with another update. Will the nook just revert to what is was before being rooted? Or could the update even mess the Nook up for the future?

Since I'm not too technical a person I worry about future problems.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #10
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
Quote:
Will the nook just revert to what is was before being rooted?
Probably, but it's unlikely mess anything up. More likely we'd have to start from scratch. However, given how great a rooted machine is, how easy it is to root, and how we're likely to have to wait something like 2 months for the upgrade, I'm happy I rooted when I did.
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #11
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I finally rooted mine and being able to read CBR files has made it worth doing. Dolphin HD is pretty nice though.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #12
BarryR
Connoisseur
BarryR doesn't litterBarryR doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
I had mine for a few weeks before I rooted and I love it. Although I had a few glitches when rooting. Autonooter makes it quite easy. I also had a weird occurrence a week ago where it suddenly unrooted itselft and I had to do a factory reset and reroot.

I was happy with the color nook before rooting but absolutely love it now.
Amongst the improvements:

1) Set up my home page with shortcuts to side-loaded content on it
2) Use the free New York Times app
3) Check my email
4) Read Kindle files.
5) Use a dimmer app to get the screen much dimmer than the stock lowest setting (I read in the dark often and was not happy with the dimmest level previously).
6) My son can play Angry Birds
7) Use weather apps.
8) Use the Netflix app
9) Use Moviefon or similar
10) Access my ewallet passwords

In short, if you're a little bit technically adept and find the idea of a rooted nook appealing, I'd suggest doing it. You can always revert to stock (I think it's close to impossible to brick a nook). Technically, it may void the warranty, but in reality I'm not sure if this would actually be the case.

If you're technically totally naive and don't want to do any troubleshooting ever, want the highest reliability and lowest effort, you may want to stick with the unrooted nook (particularly if the above benefits are not appealing).

One final thought, an update soon is supposed to allow limited access to android apps. This may bring the unrooted nook up a notch though I'm pretty sure free New York Times and the ability to read Kindle won't be part of the deal.
BarryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #13
Sethman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryR View Post
I had mine for a few weeks before I rooted and I love it. Although I had a few glitches when rooting. Autonooter makes it quite easy. I also had a weird occurrence a week ago where it suddenly unrooted itselft and I had to do a factory reset and reroot.
I was reading that B&N was coming up with another update in Jan. That's less than two weeks away. I think I will wait for that and then root. From what I understand the auto updates unroot your Nook.

Thanks for the great reply. It certainly seems that there is really nothing to loose. I never take my Nook to B&N, so I won't miss the read in store anyways.

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
...From what I understand the auto updates unroot your Nook...
You can disable auto updates. My updates have been disabled since 12/17. I'm still on version 1.0.0.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #15
BarryR
Connoisseur
BarryR doesn't litterBarryR doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
Quote:
I was reading that B&N was coming up with another update in Jan. That's less than two weeks away. I think I will wait for that and then root. From what I understand the auto updates unroot your Nook.

Thanks for the great reply. It certainly seems that there is really nothing to loose. I never take my Nook to B&N, so I won't miss the read in store anyways.

Thanks.
Sounds like a good plan.
There are threads devoted to the issue of possibly voiding you're warranty if that concerns you. But nobody really knows how that will play out.

Then only other thing you can lose by rooting is time.
BarryR is offline   Reply With Quote