Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Unhappy navigating the web on PB903

I have now done my homework on this one, too.
In order to get to the webbrowser, you have to select it by first going into "applications", tehn "games", then you clisk on teh webbrowser - or course you must have a working connection for it to work.
In my case the browser opes on google as homepage, but you can customise the homepage (by clicking on the "menu" button and then selecting preferences).

Here you can customise more things, such as the standard font size, where to save downloaded files, etc.

Negatives
One feature that does not seem to work is the "zoom text and image" in the "beahviour" tab of the preferences: even if you set it to zoom, the zoom button does not work, and there is no "quick menu" utility to zoom the page. The only thing you can do is to change the preferences from inside the web-browser and increase the font size manually. The very annoying snag is that however the programme won't remember any of the changes you have made, so each time you open it you have to customise it all over again.

One other annoying thing is that the g-sensor does not work in the browser - indeed, you cannot view any webpage in landscape mode, even if you change the viewing mode to "landscape" in the "appearance" tab of the main configuration menu of the reader. You are just stuck with portrait.

Finally, you cannot open files that are not html into the browser.

Positives
For one thing, you can navigate the web

Secondly, although you cannot open and view files in the browser, by clicking them they are downloaded (and in the preferences you can set where you download them, though I guess since the programme has no memeory, it would be best to stick to the default).

Navigating is relatively fast (it is e-ink, of course), and once you set the right viewing font, it is very readable - much less strains on the eyes than the laptop I am using now to write!

EDIT: Forgot to say: navigating down a page is painfully sloooooooooooooow

Last edited by paola; 01-09-2011 at 01:14 PM.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

Device: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolamanzini View Post
The very annoying snag is that however the programme won't remember any of the changes you have made, so each time you open it you have to customise it all over again.
How do you leave the browser? In case you use the back button this might actually simply kill the webbrowser process. That is alright if you haven't made any changes in the configuration but you might want to quit the browser through the menu-> quit after you made some changes to the configuration. Haven't checked if it is so but just a guess.
review is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by review View Post
How do you leave the browser? In case you use the back button this might actually simply kill the webbrowser process. That is alright if you haven't made any changes in the configuration but you might want to quit the browser through the menu-> quit after you made some changes to the configuration. Haven't checked if it is so but just a guess.
I review, thanks for that, but unfortunately that is not it - I did try and quite in various ways (with the "quit" option from the menu, with the "return" button, by switching off the device, then ran out of options )

Not being able to save the settings is as annoying as not being able to view pages in landscape mode, both affects navigation quite negatively, at least for me.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote