Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.
cjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Bad/risky/offensive/[insert adjective here] "Kindle 3 vs. iPad" ad...

I came across this ad on YouTube while watching other Kindle holiday ads.

I'll quote my own comment made on YouTube:

Quote:
I've enjoyed Amazon's other Kindle ads but this one comes off as a bit smarmy, like it's "preaching to the converted."

A small tweak could have made a big difference: change the woman's response to one of genuine helpfulness and a bit of excitement at having a Kindle. Make the iPad user response to the Kindle one of "seeing the light" and you'd have a commercial that could actually make a difference instead of putting up a wall between iPad and e-reader users. Both have a place.
cjottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
I think the only folks who might find this offensive are Apple's fanboys.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I have both and love them both, for different reasons.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
I thought this ad was kind of funny, even though it pretty much misses the point (for me, the point being that these devices are separate-but-equally-fun-and-useful-tools-for-different-things).

However, I've had so many lame dudes show off their iPad toy to me while I rolled my eyes, it might have skewed my perspective.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Bit cheesy but I have Apple devices as well as Kindles - and I know which I'd prefer to read in sunlight

You're right though OP - both devices do have a place and it doesn't need to be an either / or argument.

However, Steve Jobs has been pretty openly rude about the Kindle and I like the fact that Amazon are starting to hit back a little.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I think it's a hoot! and it has been around since this summer afaik
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Glad that woman was so amiable and helpful when the tech-challenged acolyte of the church of Apple tried to back her into a corner with a wicked anti-Amazon question. It reflects very positively on the cheerful, helpful nature of Amazon customers that they would so tolerate abuse from the likes of iPad users.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
That was the original K3 ad, back when it was released...

What I found annoying about it was at the time it was new, Amazon had released an update (3.01) which basically broke the Kindle's ability to be read in sunlight because the pages were incredibly slow to turn.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjottawa View Post
I've enjoyed Amazon's other Kindle ads but this one comes off as a bit smarmy, like it's "preaching to the converted."

A small tweak could have made a big difference: change the woman's response to one of genuine helpfulness and a bit of excitement at having a Kindle. Make the iPad user response to the Kindle one of "seeing the light" and you'd have a commercial that could actually make a difference instead of putting up a wall between iPad and e-reader users. Both have a place
Keep in mind this is advertising. It is supposed to sell the Kindle not make nice with the iPad.

Apple had a campaign for several years with the same philosophy. Remember those Mac vs PC spots making fun of Microsoft Windows. Same thing.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:44 PM   #10
ScoutPilot
Enthusiast
ScoutPilot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket, Kindle 2, Kindle 3 3G+WiFi
HAHA, great one. Love the Kindle but I do have iPad envy. Agree with all the previous posts. Different use for each.
ScoutPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:27 AM   #11
branchedout
branchedout began at the beginning.

Device: Soon-to-be K3
"I actually paid more for these sunglasses."

What.

After that, I forgot the rest of the advertisement.
branchedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I think it's a hoot! and it has been around since this summer afaik
Of course, Apple could respond with an ad using exactly the same line: "How are you reading that, in this light?", set in a dark room .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #13
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Of course, Apple could respond with an ad using exactly the same line: "How are you reading that, in this light?", set in a dark room .
Ha I like it! But that's no problem with a lighted cover. And of course it's still far cheaper to purchase a Kindle with a lighted cover than an iPad for the purpose of reading.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #14
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
I have both and love them both, for different reasons.
Me too..love my iPad but almost never read on it.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #15
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Wow, as many time as I have seen that commercial I never noticed any
E-reader in that woman's hands !!!!

I have both an Ipad and Kindle and the commercial is right on ...Thats why I have the Kindle...
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote