Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 01:43 AM   #1
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
UK Apple Store is taking pre-orders

...and mine is *in*!!

One point of concern. The iPad itself says ship to arrive by 28th May. I have added the vodafone SIM (20p!) and a case. These say ship by 28th May, and the narrative says all items will be collected together for shipment as one.

Going to try and call Apple today and check my annual leave on 28th May won't be wasted! If anyone has any similar conversations, please post here.

Excitedly yours
amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:51 AM   #2
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Put my pre-order in this morning but haven't had an email confirmation yet - did yours come through OK?

EDIT: OK, one of those 'Duh!' moments; one-click orders don't actually become an order for 90 minutes....

Last edited by petermillard; 05-10-2010 at 02:44 AM. Reason: impatience/stupidity
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:55 AM   #3
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
No e-mail yet, and I didn't one-click. I suspect they are swamped! Showing up nicely in the "Your Account" section though.

An Apple rep claimed they are hoping to ship everything to arrive on 28th May - did emphasise "hoping"! I have complicated holiday plans the following week (I'm not just obsessively competitive - honest!), so I hope so

Proud of myself for selling my PRS-600 on eBay just before the big announcement so many months ago. That's what I call proper discipline!

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
I have complicated holiday plans the following week (I'm not just obsessively competitive - honest!), so I hope so

Proud of myself for selling my PRS-600 on eBay just before the big announcement so many months ago. That's what I call proper discipline!
lol! Yes, I was away for the first week of April and was so hoping that they'd ship before I left... then they announced the "international' delay... Hope it works out for you.

We still have a few e-ink devices here and don't really have any plans to sell - partly because they're all a few years old, so not worth much - but no, I don't expect mine to get much use post-iPad. We'll see!

Pete
Old 05-10-2010, 07:36 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Ordered mine, too. I went for the O2 SIM - seems to be cheaper (£2/day) for occasional use.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
petermillard
Evangelist

Just received my confirmation email at 17.09 - placed the order at 06.35 this morning! Maybe first day pre-orders are better than expected - or maybe they're just having a slow day

Pete.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My confirmation e-mail took a few hours to arrive, too. I'd imagine they've been very busy!
Old 05-10-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Hmm they billed me already which is a bit annoying, normally when you pre order companies dont bill you till they ship! ah well just didnt expect to pay till after payday 21st so am overdrawn now.]]
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
are you sure it didn't ship today too?
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
are you sure it didn't ship today too?
well its not released for over two weeks? so i doubt it even though that would be cool.[
Old 05-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
The money hasn't actually gone to Apple it's a pre-authorisation "hold". They do this to check against fraud and to make sure the money will clear. I would expect the money will turn up again in your account within a couple of days. Then it'll be charged properly just before shipping.

Don't quote me on this but that's what happened during the US launch.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #12
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltop View Post
The money hasn't actually gone to Apple it's a pre-authorisation "hold". They do this to check against fraud and to make sure the money will clear. I would expect the money will turn up again in your account within a couple of days. Then it'll be charged properly just before shipping.

Don't quote me on this but that's what happened during the US launch.
Thats what I assumed would happen, but I have actually been billed and my bank contacted me to tell me i Was over £300 overdrawn!(that is a standard service my bank offer)
Old 05-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #13
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
ouch. in the US companies are only supposed to charge you if they are going to ship within 30 days. most places don't charge until they're about to ship. don't know if a similar rule apples in your area.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:36 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
ouch. in the US companies are only supposed to charge you if they are going to ship within 30 days. most places don't charge until they're about to ship. don't know if a similar rule apples in your area.
There's certainly no such rule in the UK. Billing at ordering time is normal practice, and is fine as long as the customer is told that this is happening. It was clear (to me, at least) from the Apple Store "checkout" that I was being billed "now".
Old 05-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #15
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's certainly no such rule in the UK. Billing at ordering time is normal practice, and is fine as long as the customer is told that this is happening. It was clear (to me, at least) from the Apple Store "checkout" that I was being billed "now".
Oh it was certainly due to me not reading Harry I have made other purchases eg game pre orders, and books and out of stock items and normally they never charge until they are ready to ship. At least in my experience.