Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-29-2009, 04:39 AM   #151
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
Ok, I successfully installed caecilia std roman (55). Thank-you for the great walkthrough. I appreciate the effort everyone has put into setting this stuff up.

My issue is that I like to read using the "small" view. In this view I notice that the "darkness" of the font is not as nice as the medium and large views where the beauty of caecilia shows up. I was wondering if anyone has tried a bolder base font like caecilia 75 and whether that looks better in the smaller view? Or alternatively, has anyone replaced the dutch font with a sans-serif font for easier reading at the smaller sizes?
I've not replaced the stock LRF fonts, but I have used Fontin very well with ePub and it looks very nice on screen at a small size. Give it a go. You'll be pleased with it. The best way to find out if you will be pleased is to download just the Fontin regular (no bold, no italic, etc) and embed it in a book via Calibre or Book Designer and see how it looks. I know page turns will be slower, but you are doing this for the look and not the feel until you replace Dutch Roman with Fontin.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:08 AM   #152
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Jon, the way you're phrasing your message makes me wonder if I've missed a feature in Calibre, that would embed a font in the ePub file it generates ... Is that so ?
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #153
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
dpeirron,
I think Jon is just identifying a relatively quick way to determine how a particular font would look when exported to the Sony. Calibre can embed fonts when a book is exported to the reader and so if you want a way of seeing how the font works without re-flashing the sony, Jon is suggesting Calibre.

regards
Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:05 PM   #154
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Thanks Jon, I forgot about embeding. Will try that first and see what I like the best.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #155
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

pthwaite, thanks for your answer !

Would you care to elaborate, please ? I'd like to understand how to do this... Where do I specify a font to embed in a file, in the Calibre UI ?
All I know is that I can specify a CSS that will be used in the (basically HTML+CSS) ePub file ; but the font file itself, I have no idea how to make Calibre embed it...

Thanks,
David.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #156
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Calibre can embed directly into an LRF file. It cannot embed directly into an ePub. You'd have to modify the ePub by hand afterward.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:39 PM   #157
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
dpierron, In Calibre you go to the Convert ebooks section, choose set conversion defaults and there is a section in there that has an area for overriding the CSS.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36361 and post 9.

Or at least that's how it displays in the MAC version.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:02 AM   #158
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

pthwaite, thanks for the answer !

I knew about this (in fact I have posted some interesting things, or so I think...) but I tought that Calibre was able to automatically embed the font files in the ePub file itself...

In fact, JSWolf said it in the above post, it only works in LRF...

Cheers,
David.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:40 AM   #159
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, I have tracked down what was going wrong...I think. I reflashed the reader with the sony firmware and then flashed with PRS again using caecilia as a replacement for the dutch font. Again, I noted that the base serif font did not change in the books. Then, I embedded various fonts into LRF files and discovered when I specifically embedded "none" in the serif dropdown, the caecilia font showed up. Then thinking about it, 99% of my books are in ePub, so I suspect that the default serif font is not being used in display of those fonts and instead calibre is converting the epub and having whatever font was used in the html to display. Would this make sense? If this is happening, is there some code I can use in the css override to have the new default dutch (actually caecilia) to be used in displaying? Or is my reasoning completely messed up here?
Old 06-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #160
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

Well, using the guides found in a vast number of threads (here are some of mine), you'll see how to specify a different font for an ePub file.

Now, using the knowledge shared by kiklop74, I've learned how to access the default fonts (one of which you just replaced with Caecilia).

So, I think that if you enter the following code in the relevent option dialog in Calibre (i.e. conversion/look & feel/override css), it'll do the trick :

Code:
@font-face {font-family: "serif1";src:url(res:///opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0011m_.ttf)} 
@font-face {font-family: "monospace1";src:url(res:///opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0419m_.ttf)} 
@font-face {font-family: "sans1";src:url(res:///opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0003m_.ttf)} 
body {
    text-align: justify;
    font-family: "serif1", serif;
    font-size:9pt;
    margin-left:1.5em;
    margin-right:1.5em
   }
Let me know if it works !

Cheers,
David.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:49 AM   #161
slantybard
my parent's oops...

thank you for the coding on the default fonts for the css override, I will try that later today.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #162
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
OK, I have tracked down what was going wrong...I think. I reflashed the reader with the sony firmware and then flashed with PRS again using caecilia as a replacement for the dutch font. Again, I noted that the base serif font did not change in the books. Then, I embedded various fonts into LRF files and discovered when I specifically embedded "none" in the serif dropdown, the caecilia font showed up.
Yes, this guide replace the default fonts, so if you embed a font into the LRF, it will override the default ones (that you replaced).

Quote:
Then thinking about it, 99% of my books are in ePub, so I suspect that the default serif font is not being used in display of those fonts and instead calibre is converting the epub and having whatever font was used in the html to display. Would this make sense? If this is happening, is there some code I can use in the css override to have the new default dutch (actually caecilia) to be used in displaying? Or is my reasoning completely messed up here?
The LRF renderer and the EPUB renderer have nothing in common. The EPUB renderer has its own default fonts. You should not be replacing those, since embedded fonts for EPUB files are really fast and not slow as hell as for LRF. You can also link to them externally.

There's a really good thread on EPUB and font changing here.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:54 PM   #163
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
Well, using the guides found in a vast number of threads (here are some of mine), you'll see how to specify a different font for an ePub file.

Now, using the knowledge shared by kiklop74, I've learned how to access the default fonts (one of which you just replaced with Caecilia).

So, I think that if you enter the following code in the relevent option dialog in Calibre (i.e. conversion/look & feel/override css), it'll do the trick :

Code:
@font-face {font-family: "serif1";src:url(res:///opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0011m_.ttf)} 
@font-face {font-family: "monospace1";src:url(res:///opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0419m_.ttf)} 
@font-face {font-family: "sans1";src:url(res:///opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0003m_.ttf)} 
body {
    text-align: justify;
    font-family: "serif1", serif;
    font-size:9pt;
    margin-left:1.5em;
    margin-right:1.5em
   }
Let me know if it works !

Cheers,
David.
It's a bad idea to use em for margins because when if the font size is changed, then the margins change. Use fixed with margins if you have to have margins. Use points for fixed width margins. Then they won't change.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:10 AM   #164
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

Hi Jon, thanks for the tip, you're absolutely right !
Old 07-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #165
slantybard
my parent's oops...

Okay, did some more tinkering and have discovered that my sony simply isn't flashing the fonts properly. I have used the prsc 1.04 on both the mac and windows and a converted caecilia ttf with the proper changes as per fontcreator. I am able to flash everything else with no problems including custom icons, uniform font size, and personal contact info on the about screen, but no matter what, the dutch font is not replaced. I have noted that when the image is being created, sometimes the sony reboots during this time before the image is reported ready and perhaps this could be a factor.