Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-11-2016, 07:20 AM   #1
AnisioLemos
AnisioLemos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
i cant see html or css

Hello guys, i tried a lot the forum search mechanism and havent found what i want, so im opening this thread.
To the problem, initially i thought it could be something with converting PDF to ePub using calibre, but i created some blank ePubs too and got the same problem.
I know nothing about css and html and initially edited the books using the book view, but inserting italic, bold, underline and hiperlinks to endnotes was making appear a lot of blank spaces between words and even more spaces during the whole process. So i tried to see what i could do editing html and css, while learning on the go, and for my surprise i have none css in stylesheet and none html in code view, even typing in new ePubs.
Probably im being dumb AF, but i found nothing about it and am here asking for help.
I'm using Sigil 0.9.7 in Antergos without plugins and with everything fully updated.
Ps. Sorry for my bad english, it isnt my mother language.
AnisioLemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:07 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Do you mean that the Code View tab is completely blank when looking at any file (html, css, opf, ncx)?

Does anything show up if you try to highlight the Code View content with your mouse?

Offhand, the only thing I can possibly imagine would be that the custom colors for Code View (Edit->Preferences->Appearance) have all been changed to white somehow.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:22 AM   #3
AnisioLemos

Nothing shows up, i tried to highlight and looked at preferences too.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:42 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm afraid I have no experience with Antergos. I believe that's what @Doitsu uses, though, perhaps he'll be able to offer some insight.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:37 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm afraid I have no experience with Antergos. I believe that's what @Doitsu uses, though, perhaps he'll be able to offer some insight.
I don't think that this is a Linux-specific problem, because I've never experienced these issues. OTOH, I build Sigil from source and there might be an issue with the repo provided version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnisioLemos View Post
Nothing shows up, i tried to highlight and looked at preferences too.
I'm afraid, you'll have to be more specific. It's pretty much impossible to end up with blank pages, because Sigil would warn you if you deleted all HTML code and tried to switch to Book View. Ending up with blank pages could theoretically only happen if you use an unusual desktop color scheme, e.g. inverse colors, select a broken display font and/or select white as font and background colors.
Of course, you might also end up with missing text, if you select everything that you've entered so far and then paste new text, which will replace the existing text. You also might not see your text in code view mode, if the text contains only non-Latin characters, e.g. Arabic or Devanagari text. If that's the case, I'll suggest a suitable alternative font for you.

Try the following:

1. In Sigil, select Edit > Preferences > Open Preferences Location.
2. Close Sigil, delete sigil.ini and restart Sigil.
3. Enter This is a test. in Book View mode and switch to Code View. You should see the following code:
Spoiler:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
<body>
<p>This is a test.&nbsp;</p>
</body>
</html>

If you don't see the above code report what you see or attach a screen capture.

Since you mentioned that you're not familiar with HTML and CSS maybe a better workflow for you might be:

1. Write your book in OpenOffice/LibreOffice. (Make sure to apply the default styles.)
2. Save it as an ODT/DOCX file and import it with the Sigil ODT/DOCX plugins or export it as an epub with Writer2ePub or convert it with Calibre to an epub.
3. Use Sigil for the final edits.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:27 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

It's possible that a faulty version of libhunspell could be the culprit (spell checking is done in Code View). There was a version of hunspell (1.5.0) that broke a lot of applications that relied on it, but that version was pulled and a corrected version released pretty quickly. It's not very likely though (especially if the system in question is indeed "fully updated"). My Arch installation is up to libhunspell v1.5.4 already.

I've not taken a look at Sigil in the Arch Community repo in a while; perhaps it's time I did so again. I prefer using sigil-git from the AUR, myself.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:21 PM   #7
AnisioLemos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Try the following:

1. In Sigil, select Edit > Preferences > Open Preferences Location.
2. Close Sigil, delete sigil.ini and restart Sigil.
3. Enter This is a test. in Book View mode and switch to Code View. You should see the following code:
Spoiler:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
<body>
<p>This is a test.&nbsp;</p>
</body>
</html>

If you don't see the above code report what you see or attach a screen capture.
Thank you so much, it worked. (I should close the post or something like that since its solved? If yes, how i can do it?)

Quote:
Since you mentioned that you're not familiar with HTML and CSS maybe a better workflow for you might be:

1. Write your book in OpenOffice/LibreOffice. (Make sure to apply the default styles.)
2. Save it as an ODT/DOCX file and import it with the Sigil ODT/DOCX plugins or export it as an epub with Writer2ePub or convert it with Calibre to an epub.
In my case im converting some books and papers from pdf to epub. Maybe i should use calibre to convert them to txt or doc, format in LibreOffice and then put in Sigil to hiperlink the notes?
Old 12-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
In my case im converting some books and papers from pdf to epub. Maybe i should use calibre to convert them to txt or doc, format in LibreOffice and then put in Sigil to hiperlink the notes?
A variation on

Quote:
Try converting one of your PDF's to DOCX/RTF/TXT in calibre (a PDF to DOCX conversion may even preserve the links to the notes). Open it in LibreOffice, do whatever needs doing, including linking the text to the notes, save it as DOCX, and then use calibre to convert the DOCX to ePUB. It's even possible you won't even need to use an epub editor.

I've used this process on thousands of simple end-noted PDF documents (using Word rather than LO or OO, but I have colleagues who use LO to achieve the same result), on many of them I only need to use Sigil to remove some of the entries calibre injects into the opf - and that's only to satisfy a personal whim for minimalism.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-11-2016 at 03:03 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:20 PM   #9
AnisioLemos

These days I noticed something, I tried to use Sigil to link the endnotes and used the buttons to make IDs and links. Making it this way apparently make the html code disapear and add spaces and more spaces through the link making. Making the links in html don't do that.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:31 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
These days I noticed something, I tried to use Sigil to link the endnotes and used the buttons to make IDs and links. Making it this way apparently make the html code disapear and add spaces and more spaces through the link making. Making the links in html don't do that.
I can't duplicate the same behavior on my end. Creating anchors/links in either Code View or Book View works just as I'd expect it to. On Linux or on Windows. No disappearing html and no added spaces.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:06 PM   #11
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
I can't reproduce this issue either. Entering text in Book View mode, will occasionally add non-breaking spaces (&nbsp;), but usually won't delete HTML code unless you highlight existing text and overtype it. (It can also happen if you select and overtype text that spans multiple paragraphs.)

It would really help if you provided step by step instructions to reproduce this issue. Without them the developers can't really do anything about this.

As an example, here are step by step instructions to test the Insert Link toolbar button:

1. Create an epub.
2. Right click Section0001.xhtml and select Add Blank HTML File.
3. Select Section0002.xhtml in the Book Browser and switch to Book View mode.
4. Enter This is a test., highlight test, click the Insert Link toolbar button and select Section0001.xhtml. Switch to Code View mode and compare your code with the following code:
Spoiler:
Code:
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
<body>
<p>This is a&nbsp;<a href="../Text/Section0001.xhtml">test</a>.</p>
</body>
</html>

Follow the above steps and post your code if it differs significantly. If you used a different method to insert links in Book View mode, post all of your steps.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:07 PM   #12
AnisioLemos

I'm getting more and more confused, it happened with two ebooks I was editing by this days and now I can't reproduce it. Well, next time I will write down everything step-by-step in case of happen again.
Sorry for make you guys lose time.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:12 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry for make you guys lose time.
No problem. We want to fix it if something is wrong.