Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #211
mietek81
Connoisseur
mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo, H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
Do you mean "merge them into one dictionary for the Kobo" ?

Unfortunately the merging function is not implemented in Penelope yet. Meanwhile, you can do the following:

1) Convert first StarDict dictionary to XML
2) Convert second StarDict dictionary to XML
3) Concatenate the two XML files of 1) and 2) (deleting the "tail/header" at the joining site) into a single XML file
4) Convert the XML file of step 3) into Kobo format
Well.. Yeah, I'm gonna use it on kobo glo.

I had to check in dictionary what does 'Concatenate' means And yes, that's what I would like to do - join them into one single dict.

Basically I should use Penelope to convert those stardict files to XML, then use notepad++ for joining/Concatenating them into single xml and then again convert it to desired format.

So what if I wanted to add another language to english-english dictionary, to have english-english-polish dict? So then I could read english definiton of a word and if that wouldn't help me in understanding it I would have polish translation under english definition. I think somebody have done something like that
mietek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #212
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by mietek81 View Post
Well.. Yeah, I'm gonna use it on kobo glo.

I had to check in dictionary what does 'Concatenate' means And yes, that's what I would like to do - join them into one single dict.

Basically I should use Penelope to convert those stardict files to XML, then use notepad++ for joining/Concatenating them into single xml and then again convert it to desired format.
Apologies, I use a lot of Latin-based (old-fashioned) English words because I am Italian. You understand correctly. After concatenating the two XML files, you get something like:
Code:
<?xml version = "1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE document SYSTEM "dictionary.dtd">
<dictionary>
<entry><key>k1</key><def>d1</def></entry>
<entry><key>k2</key><def>d2</def></entry>
<entry><key>k3</key><def>d3</def></entry>
</dictionary>
<dictionary>
<entry><key>k4</key><def>d4</def></entry>
<entry><key>k5</key><def>d5</def></entry>
</dictionary>
which should become:
Code:
<dictionary>
<entry><key>k1</key><def>d1</def></entry>
<entry><key>k2</key><def>d2</def></entry>
<entry><key>k3</key><def>d3</def></entry>
<entry><key>k4</key><def>d4</def></entry>
<entry><key>k5</key><def>d5</def></entry>
</dictionary>
{BTW, I now realize that if you export to CSV instead of XML, the editing step might be unnecessary.}

Quote:
Originally Posted by mietek81 View Post
So what if I wanted to add another language to english-english dictionary, to have english-english-polish dict? So then I could read english definiton of a word and if that wouldn't help me in understanding it I would have polish translation under english definition. I think somebody have done something like that
From the Penelope page:
Quote:
Future versions will include:
- support for merging multiple input dictionaries into a single one, and
- PRC/MOBI support.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #213
mietek81
Connoisseur
mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo, H2O
Thank You for all your help and efforts. I will patiently wait for the future versions of this beautiful girl which Penelope is

I had to check the word because im not that fluent in english, my vocabulary is rather poor :P So there's no need for apologies.

Is there a way to send you (I prefer paypal) a small evidence of gratitude for all your work on Penelope?
mietek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #214
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You are welcome.

I do not accept money because the code I develop is released "into the world" for free under GPL. Instead, if you want, you can donate to your preferred charity (e.g., Wikimedia Foundation (Wikipedia), EFF, etc.)
Old 04-20-2013, 02:06 AM   #215
gouni
Connoisseur
gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo
My dictionaries no longer work with kobo system 2.5.0
gouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #216
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

By "my dictionaries" do you mean "sideloaded" dictionaries, made by Penelope or your own tools, right?

I haven't updated my Kobo (and I plan not to do so), so I cannot confirm directly.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #217
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouni View Post
My dictionaries no longer work with kobo system 2.5.0
Confirmed. Me too. This is a custom dictionary that I have built myself using marisa and 7zip. It was OK with firmware 2.4.

So far I have tried the following to fix it with no success:

Upgraded marisa source from 0.2.0 to 0.2.4.
Various marisa-build options.

This is all random guesses as to what the difference is. May be I'll get lucky and hit on the right combination. It could be the zip options I am using (or not using). In fact I do not use any specific zip options other than the compression format, gzip for the html files and zip for the final file.
ShellShock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #218
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Oh, bad luck, they might have changed the dictionary format.

Does inspecting the Kobo-provided dictionaries yield something?
Old 04-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #219
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not that I can tell; the zip contains the same *.html and words files, but as these are binary it is difficult to analyse the differences any further.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #220
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

You are right, I forgot about the "encryption".

I will try to have a look at the issue next week. A wild guess is that they changed something in the markup of the HTML files.

(Fun fact: between 3/1 and 4/20, the Google Code page for Penelope got 16 visits from "Toronto, Canada", of which 12 went to clone or download the source code. Clearly, this might well be just a coincidence --- all are from "generic" domains, like "rogers cable inc.".)

Last edited by AlPe; 04-20-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #221
gouni
Connoisseur
gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
By "my dictionaries" do you mean "sideloaded" dictionaries, made by Penelope or your own tools, right?

I haven't updated my Kobo (and I plan not to do so), so I cannot confirm directly.
The two, by penelope and by me.
gouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #222
ShellShock
Wizard

Big brother is watching...? But would it be in their interest to deliberately break custom dictionaries?
Old 04-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #223
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
They might think so. But, as Kobo don't actually support custom dictionaries, it is more likely that the change was for some other reason.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #224
ShellShock
Wizard

Interestingly the Kobo English dictionary from firmware 2.1.4 still works on firmware 2.5. Our custom dictionaries use gzipped html and words files, whereas the official dictionaries do not as far as I can tell; if you change the extension to gzip they are not recognised as gzip format. May be this is the crucial difference?

Last edited by ShellShock; 04-20-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #225
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Interestingly the Kobo English dictionary from firmware 2.1.4 still works on firmware 2.5.
And the new ones work on FW 2.4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Our custom dictionaries use gzipped html and words files, whereas the official dictionaries do not as far as I can tell; if you change the extension to gzip they are not recognised as gzip format.
This has been so since FW 2.0.0 or so with some dictionaries.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote