Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #61
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevov View Post
That image is very much like what was the kobo arc on 4.0.4 ICS. That layout works for a tablet as most type with their thumbs so keeping the function buttons on the lower bar on the left and right in landscape is much more useable. Even in portait mode people use their thumbs and hold the tablet at he bottom. This whole new setup is designed for one handed use on a phone.What it appears the kobo "developers" have done is attach their launcher onto a stock android phone jellybean layout. I suppose it was easier and quicker than adapting for a tablet. It is obvious very little thought went into this upgrade and the minimal was done to get it out. Even Robins copy and paste description of new features displays the lack of attention to detail.ie returning calls from the notification bar. Kobo should have stuck to books and readers. They don't seem to understand tablets.
I'm sorry you're disappointed. We work very hard to make sure users have the best experience possible.
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #62
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKS View Post
I'll bitch and moan at you if you like. Tell me why it won't play most of my music files. MP3s yes, WMAs not. I wish I could undo this update, I don't need most of the new features it touts anyway. BTW I went through a factory reset and the problem still persists.
I don't believe we've ever said we support WMA.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #63
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by philebus View Post
Yup. A mess for me anyway.

I let it update and got an Encryption Failed message. Automatic reset. Lost everything. Music and video I can copy over again but hours and hours of game saves are all lost. Do these guys test this stuff? Seriously, this is NOT good enough. I like this company, I really do, I like the product. But I feel badly let down by this time.
Please PM me with your info. We may reach out for more info.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #64
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevov View Post
They have been promising JB from before the tablet was released. What they released is basicaly a stock android phone upgrade with their own launcher. Its not like they started from scratch. They've had the benefit of seeing plenty of other releases on other tablets. JB has been out for months these mistakes shouldn't happen.
Stock Android on 7" tablets is like the phone interface for the home screen, that was Googles choice, it's exactly the same on the Nexus

It got just as much criticism when google did this to how people are now responding to Kobo
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #65
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
Stock Android on 7" tablets is like the phone interface for the home screen, that was Googles choice, it's exactly the same on the Nexus

It got just as much criticism when google did this to how people are now responding to Kobo
Yet Kobo didn't learn from and premptively fixed that problem, despite (as shown above) it being a VERY easy tweak that has already been done on other 7" devices.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #66
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Yet Kobo didn't learn from and premptively fixed that problem, despite (as shown above) it being a VERY easy tweak that has already been done on other 7" devices.
Fixed what problem?

It looks to me like Kobo choose to use the stock Android layout, which on a 7" tablet has the phone style home screen

If you want to use the hack to change the ui, be careful when you get JB 4.2, the tablet ui has been removed from this totally so changing dpi does not work

Last edited by paulsalter; 03-25-2013 at 11:17 AM.
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #67
slate
Connoisseur
slate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura about

Device: N/A
What are the chances of kobo releasing full factory restore images? This would solve a lot of issues as users could return to a fully stock image.

Is there any eta on when kobo will release the gpl source code to the arc? I requested this around 2 months ago but have had no response. Hopefully they will be posted up to https://github.com/kobolabs/ as I see the vox and reader is up there.
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #68
JKS
JKS began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
I don't believe we've ever said we support WMA.
All I know is that before the upgrade all my music files played and now most of them don't. The difference seems to be that ones that don't play are WMAs. Clearly before the upgrade they were supported and now they are not, so that is something that can be tweaked.
JKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #69
Dangze
Enthusiast
Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Kobo Arc 32Go
Quote:
As far as settings and notification bars etc. We decided to stick with Androids standard 7 inch implementation.
Keeping the "old" layout (status and notifications in lower "button bar") would have been hightly preferable and more comfortable !

I saw a lot of tablets in French stores, in various size and running Android 4.1, with the clock, Wifi/battery status and notifications in the right lower corner as the Arc was under ICS. They have, without any doubt, a more "professionnal" aspect.

If Kobo does not modify this layout in a close future (Robin, any hope ?...), I will have to consider buying a new concurrent tablet, even if this will be a pity for me... I do think that I am not alone having that feeling !

Regards.
Dangze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #70
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangze View Post
Keeping the "old" layout (status and notifications in lower "button bar") would have been hightly preferable and more comfortable !

I saw a lot of tablets in French stores, in various size and running Android 4.1, with the clock, Wifi/battery status and notifications in the right lower corner as the Arc was under ICS. They have, without any doubt, a more "professionnal" aspect.

If Kobo does not modify this layout in a close future (Robin, any hope ?...), I will have to consider buying a new concurrent tablet, even if this will be a pity for me... I do think that I am not alone having that feeling !

Regards.
There is currently no plans to go back to a 4.0 layout. I'm sorry you feel so strongly about it.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #71
Dangze
Enthusiast
Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.

Quote:
There is currently no plans to go back to a 4.0 layout. I'm sorry you feel so strongly about it.
Thank you for your "bad" answer !

I still hope that Kobo will change their mind after more people complain about this. What about a customer "poll" ?

Regards.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #72
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
Thank you for your "bad" answer !

I still hope that Kobo will change their mind after more people complain about this. What about a customer "poll" ?

Regards.
No worries. I can say the main reason for the nav being in the middle is because of google now. Swiping up from the home icon opens it.

There is a LOT of time and effort involved in such a change. I wish i could get into specifics.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #73
Dangze
Enthusiast

Quote:
I can say the main reason for the nav being in the middle is because of google now. Swiping up from the home icon opens it.
Not sure to understand this !

Is there any way to switch back to ICS ?

Good night (here in Europa)...
Old 03-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #74
JKS

Quote:
Not sure to understand this !

Is there any way to switch back to ICS ?

Good night (here in Europa)...
I'd like to switch back too, please.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #75
JKS

BTW until this upgrade I was the Arc's biggest cheerleader. Now not so much. I think you've really shot yourself in the foot with the smaller screen. It's the first thing the customer sees and it really looks mingy now with all that space taken away both at the top and the bottom.

I don't see the point of finding out from Google about the best new restaurants near me when I don't even have continuous WiFi. By the time I get access to WiFi I am in a bloody restaurant. This is a useless improvement. The device is not a phone with G3 access, it's an e-reader tablet. You need to remember first and foremost who your customer base is, and I think that was overlooked.

The biggest deal in all of this is the smaller viewing area. The second biggest is the horrid placement of stuff you need to access in the top bar. It was so easy before. The third is not being able to listen to most music files.

I'm not recommending the Arc to anyone until I have reason to like it again as much as I did before.

Last edited by JKS; 03-25-2013 at 11:14 PM.