Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #61
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by remesh View Post
I bought a kindle DXG demo version and while waiting to get a USB to TTL cable, copied the software update for B009 version from amazon site to my kindle dxg root folder and restarted. While restarting, it said, Software is being updated and then failed with error U006, which many others have also reported when they have installed hacks. Is there any copies of firmware available where such a check is bypassed?

Complete noob here, any help will be appreciated.
It will only update from an official full firmware image, where critical files are not modified. A demo firmware image does not work. You must flash full debricking repair images using the internal serial port. Then updates will succeed. Search for "DXG" in the simple debricking thread first post for links to success reports and how others did that.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-13-2013 at 10:11 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #62
remesh
remesh began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-950SC
How to open the back aluminum cover on Kindle DXG? I have removed the top plastic.
remesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #63
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by remesh View Post
How to open the back aluminum cover on Kindle DXG? I have removed the top plastic.
Master Index sticky thread, DX(G) index wiki, DXG teardown (RapidRepair.com).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #64
tommytomtom
Enthusiast
tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.tommytomtom never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Touch
Is 5V USB/TTL ok???

Hi,

The edited topic starting post from stangri makes it look like 5V USB/TTL adapter like the following ebay link make it possible to unbrick/demo a DX. Is that really the case? Without geekmaster's serial adapter level shifter circuit? I read everywhere else that one needs a 1.8V adapter.
Furthermore, I would like to know if it is possible to unbrick/demo the device with the rootfs.img from let's say a hypothetical 3.2.1 image of a certain torrent.

Thanks in advance for the clarifications!
tommytomtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #65
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytomtom View Post
Hi,

The edited topic starting post from stangri makes it look like 5V USB/TTL adapter like the following ebay link make it possible to unbrick/demo a DX. Is that really the case? Without geekmaster's serial adapter level shifter circuit? I read everywhere else that one needs a 1.8V adapter.
Furthermore, I would like to know if it is possible to unbrick/demo the device with the rootfs.img from let's say a hypothetical 3.2.1 image of a certain torrent.

Thanks in advance for the clarifications!
The adapter you linked to can be set to either 3.3v or 5v I/O.
Either setting should only be used with a level shifter setting.

Only a 1.8v serial adapter should be used without a level shifter.

The rootfs question: No.

When you read the tread(s) and directions for running version 3 firmware on a firmware version 2 device, you will find that what is actually used is a mixture of v-2 and v-3.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #66
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
rootfs -- as far as I remember yes, if that 3.2.1 image is a specially-made image for DXG. To be honest the most recent DXG I've restored to the 2.5.8 rootfs, but all the previous ones *I think* I just rolled 3.2.1 rootfs onto. It's been a while ago tho, so if knc1 had a more recent experience with the custom 3.2.1 image, listen to him.

For the voltage -- everything I've used is in the photos. I didn't know it required level shifter, so I've used everything as pictured and (knock on wood) haven't fried a single DXG yet. YMMV of course.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:45 AM   #67
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
rootfs -- as far as I remember yes, if that 3.2.1 image is a specially-made image for DXG. To be honest the most recent DXG I've restored to the 2.5.8 rootfs, but all the previous ones *I think* I just rolled 3.2.1 rootfs onto. It's been a while ago tho, so if knc1 had a more recent experience with the custom 3.2.1 image, listen to him.
I have no recent experience.

It was the image description:
Quote:
... from let's say a hypothetical 3.2.1 image of a certain torrent.
that prevented me from giving anything other than a general answer.

Which might be anything, including a hypothetical photograph (image) of Niagara Falls (a torrent).
Old 01-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #68
mcquackers
mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle DXGizlle
undemo

So after reading this and many other threads, I spent a weekend figuring out how to undemo my dxg. I am admittedly a complete noob when it comes to the command line. My first foray into linux was just for the task of this un-demo. That said, I'm sure there are other souls out there that have ventured into these woods armed with only what is in these threads and I thought I'd try to make it a little bit more clear the process I went through. Thanks to yifanlu, geekmaster, stangri and everyone who has shared their workflows.

1. Purchased TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE from ftdichip.com. Open the Kindle. Using their pdf schematics, I matched up the cables (4 of them) based on how stangri had proposed and soldered them onto the board.

NOTE: NEVER PLUG IN THE AMAZON USB CABLE AND THE TTL CABLE AT THE SAME TIME.

2. Leaving the USB TTL unplugged, I plugged in the amazon usb cable and using Sir Alex's Kindle Diagnostic tool, I got the serial/pw info and recorded it.

3. (The next steps are followed from Yifanlu's debricking method) For Windows, I downloaded Hyperterminal. I downloaded Yifanlu's custom kernel. Plug in the USB TTL. Then I followed his instructions, pressing the enter key to get to uboot and then flashed his kernel. Make sure you follow all the instructions. One step not mentioned was to erase and repartition all the drives. I don't remember which letter that was (I think it was 'I'), but that was key for me. Then make sure you get the machine into recovery mode.

4. Go find the Kindle 3.2.1 firmware. It's floating around on some website (one of them 'bay' websites). Using MinGW, I had to use command line in Windows to extract the rootfs.img.

5. Now that we have our rootfs.img and we've partitioned everything, I moved over to a linux machine. (All I did was download virtualbox and install xubuntu).

6. Then, I moved the rootfs.img file to my home directory in linux.

7. Now, I plugged in the KINDLE to the KINDLE USB cable (Not the TTL cable) to the linux machine. Again from Yifanlu, I followed his instructions for "Restoring Your Kindle." Some people reported that this part of the process takes a long time. It took me less than 10 minutes. No idea why.

After it completed I had to do two reboots, but then I was in. I don't know if this helps, but as someone who's very seldom used the command line, I was really confused as to the exact steps. Good luck to everyone!
mcquackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:45 PM   #69
knc1
Going Viral

1) ONLY use three leads - the TX, RX, and GND lead! Don't connect the power lead of the cable, that is a **SUPPLY** lead!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #70
mcquackers
mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

undemo

If that works for you, then do it that way. I connected all four and had zero problems. I am no electrician, so I can't pretend that me doing it my way without frying the board wasn't just pure dumb luck.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #71
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcquackers View Post
If that works for you, then do it that way. I connected all four and had zero problems. I am no electrician, so I can't pretend that me doing it my way without frying the board wasn't just pure dumb luck.
But I am. For about 60 years now.

Dumb luck plus that warning to not connect both USB and serial at the same time.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #72
mcquackers

Touche.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:59 AM   #73
Rasbor
Rasbor began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcquackers View Post
3. (The next steps are followed from Yifanlu's debricking method) For Windows, I downloaded Hyperterminal. I downloaded Yifanlu's custom kernel. Plug in the USB TTL. Then I followed his instructions, pressing the enter key to get to uboot and then flashed his kernel. Make sure you follow all the instructions. One step not mentioned was to erase and repartition all the drives. I don't remember which letter that was (I think it was 'I'), but that was key for me. Then make sure you get the machine into recovery mode.

7. Now, I plugged in the KINDLE to the KINDLE USB cable (Not the TTL cable) to the linux machine. Again from Yifanlu, I followed his instructions for "Restoring Your Kindle." Some people reported that this part of the process takes a long time. It took me less than 10 minutes. No idea why.
Classy work!
Can't You give a link to "Yifanlu's debricking method"?
Thanks.
Rasbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #74
bluesk
bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle dx
Help with dxg undemoing

Hi I bought a demo dxg on ebay and on developers menu I chose M update on mmc and put the password from the sir alex tool.Now it stays on the guy with the tree screen.I can get to the development menu and the reset screen,the progression bar shows but nothing happens comes back the screen with the tree.I got a serial adapter as described here and I tried Hyperterminal but I see nothing.I tried with 3.3 5v nothing,Tried to modify the adapter to output 1.8v ,but still I see nothing.I jumped Tx Rx i see nothing in the Hyperterminal.Maby I fried the kindle ? or the addapter is no good.Please help!!Thanks
bluesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #75
mcquackers

http://yifan.lu/2011/04/02/recoverin...rupt-kindle-2/

Tags
debricking