Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #2641
veagles
veagles began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
@NiLuJe, I use your font hack, but I also read with the default condensed font. So, does 5.4 font hack uses the updated font from k3 3.4 firmware?
veagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #2642
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@veagles: It never touched the Condensed font. So, yeah, it's using the default Condensed font (meaning if you're using FW 3.4 or 4.1, it's using the updated fonts).

The only exception is if you're using an FT override: then it's still the default font, but it may be slightly less condensed than with the default FT (blame it on some Amazon tweaks in their FT build).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #2643
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I had firmware version 3.2.1 up until last night, but overnight my Kindle was updated to 3.4. I thought that the jailbreak stopped the Kindle from automatically updating. Is that no longer true? Or was it only true for YiFanLu's hack? I updated from that a while back, but haven't bothered since because I thought the hacks stopped the automatic updates. I assume there should be no problems, but wanted to check with the people in the know.

I have version 0.10.N jailbreak and 0.25.N screensaver hack currently and the update instructions say I shouldn't need to update in most cases, so I haven't. Should I update anyway?

If I should update, the update notes say "Next, no need to run the update_*_uninstall.bin updates, ever. (except in some specific cases, like if you're updating the jailbreak on a 3.x device, or from another font/ss hack [in which case you should use the original uninstaller for your hacks, and not the ones found here])." So, I will need to find the 0.10.N uninstaller to do this, correct? Or is that just if you were using another font/ss hack? It is not clear to me. I think I have the old install/uninstall files somewhere, just not with me.

Thank you!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #2644
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Dazrin: Nope, it's been a while since (most) of the (common) K2/K3 stuff started to play nice with official updates .

Given the age (in a good way, that's not that old ^^) of the versions you're mentioning, nope, probably not worth updating, especially if everything's working, and you don't intend to add more hacks.

That said, if you want to update the jailbreak, you can (and should) always use the latest uninstaller (that's applicable for all the stuff in this thread ).
Old 10-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #2645
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
[lots of answers]
Thank you!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #2646
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post

^_________^
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #2647
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Frozen UsbNetwork Hack Software Update after attempt on Kindle 3 v3.4

I am currently sitting on a frozen Software Update process screen upon trying to install the latest USBNetwork Hack on my Kindle 3G with firmware 3.4. I am installing this after a complete removal of all my hacks and a factory reset and then update to Kindle firmware 3.4. I have installed JB Hack, Font Hack, and a few others without issues on 3.4, but for some reason this one has frozen the screen, and there is no progression on the progress bar that it will ever finish.

Just to note: The reason I installed this after fresh installing firmware 3.4 instead of just installing firmware 3.4 over the already-working USBNetwork Hack is that when I tried this, it gave an error. As such, I decided to just redo everything from scratch, having first uninstalled all the hacks I did. This makes me wonder if the error I got here relates to the USBNetwork, which is what is giving me this error. Just an idea.

Anyway, if anyway has any idea how to help me, I would be grateful. Should I hard reset the device if it doesn't improve? Would that harm anything? I've never had an update, whether official or a hack one, freeze (they just said error and still restarted).
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #2648
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Double posting?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #2649
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Double posting?
Do you mean me? I posted about this problem on two threads, this one and the one talking about the updated firmware, but I did not copy and paste it, and wasn't sure which would be best to use. Sorry if that is a no-no.

My problem actually just fixed....hopefully. I took the gamble at hard resetting even though it said not to and then it restarted, and I reinstalled, and it worked just fine. I'm clueless as to why it worked here but not the first time. I did use the 'uninstall.bin' first and then the 'install.bin', just in case anything was left when first trying the 'install.bin', so maybe that helped. Anyway, sorry again for the double post, as well as wasting the time of all who read since the problem solved itself of sorts. Although, maybe if it happens to others this will show it might be a bug and fixable via retrying.

Last edited by inameiname; 10-03-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #2650
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@inameiname: That definitely shouldn't happen. Check the logs (both the system's: ;dumpMessages in the search bar, and usbnet's install log in the usbnet folder).

Just to get an idea: When exactly did it appear to freeze during the update process? (roughly what % of the progress bar was full?)
Old 10-04-2012, 05:01 AM   #2651
inameiname
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@inameiname: That definitely shouldn't happen. Check the logs (both the system's: ;dumpMessages in the search bar, and usbnet's install log in the usbnet folder).

Just to get an idea: When exactly did it appear to freeze during the update process? (roughly what % of the progress bar was full?)
Oh I'm afraid after the failed installation of UsbNetwork the first time I used the uninstall script which removed it entirely, and then tried the install one again. I'm guessing that removed the install log?

Regardless, it seemed to hang before any percentage was actually shown on the progress bar, so perhaps there was an error at boot.

Anyway, hopefully by uninstalling whatever might have been installed on the error attempt, if anything, and then reinstalling it correctly, it should be just fine. I rarely ever use Usbnetwork (prefer scripts and myts when needed to use a terminal) so I haven't really used it.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #2652
simblanco
simblanco can extract oil from cheesesimblanco can extract oil from cheesesimblanco can extract oil from cheesesimblanco can extract oil from cheesesimblanco can extract oil from cheesesimblanco can extract oil from cheesesimblanco can extract oil from cheesesimblanco can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 4.1.0
Hello everyone!
First of all, thanks to everyone who participated in the jailbreaking & screensaver modification!
Second, sorry if my problem has been already described previously in this thread.

I just bought a kindle 4.1.0
I successfully installed the jailbreak.
Then I copy on the main folder of my kindle the update_ss_0.29.N_k4_install. I eject, update and then get the UPDATE ERROR 3 (the update bar reaches around 75%). I made the error to copy also the linkss folder the first time i tried the hack (i misread the instructions). Anyway, later I deleted everything and tried again with only the install.bin and I got the same error.

Do you have any suggestions??
Thanks!!
simblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #2653
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
the error codes are on the wiki somewhere......... cant remember what U003 corresponds to....
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:04 AM   #2654
simblanco
simblanco can extract oil from cheesesimblanco can extract oil from cheesesimblanco can extract oil from cheesesimblanco can extract oil from cheesesimblanco can extract oil from cheesesimblanco can extract oil from cheesesimblanco can extract oil from cheesesimblanco can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 4.1.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
the error codes are on the wiki somewhere......... cant remember what U003 corresponds to....
could be ERR_IMAGE_MD5=U003?
simblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:31 AM   #2655
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by simblanco View Post
could be ERR_IMAGE_MD5=U003?
Thanks! Yeah,that's probably it. That means the image is corrupted or something (I think.)

Try redownloading it and doing it again.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet