Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: The MobileRead Literary Book Club October 2011 Vote
The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams 5 29.41%
Candida by George Bernard Shaw 3 17.65%
Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard 3 17.65%
Peer Gynt by Henrik Ibsen 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #16
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've got at least two books to finish up before I could even think about starting this.

My library only has one copy of it around. I might go check it out next week. I like the images in the Adelaide one, so I might go down that path, even though it's painful to have to read at the computer or laptop.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #17
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I have had good experiences converting the Adelaide online books to epub using Calibre.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #18
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

That Adelaide University work seems excellent. I plan on making it into an epub file over the next few days. I believe it would be acceptable to upload it to the ebook library here based on the Creative Commons License in that document. Including that license material in the epub file of course. What say those who no more about this use under creative commons?
Old 10-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #19
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
That Adelaide University work seems excellent. I plan on making it into an epub file over the next few days. I believe it would be acceptable to upload it to the ebook library here based on the Creative Commons License in that document. Including that license material in the epub file of course. What say those who no more about this use under creative commons?
if you do, and it is legal, then we could all help out proof-reading it. I am really sorry the link I put was a badly formatted version, I confess I did not check it out before linking it, that'll teach me!

EDIT: The "Adelaide" version has a button to download the EPUB version - direct link is here:
http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/i/ibse...peer/peer.epub

Last edited by paola; 10-01-2011 at 06:30 PM.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #20
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Actually this effort will not be necessary. Once I started in on it and begin looking at the source html I found that when one opens this link http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/i/ibsen/henrik/peer/ and examines the small navigation box at the upper right on the page, one option (the green [what is meant to be an e] symbol at the bottom is a link to download this as an epub. So this would seem to be a good source based on a preliminary look. Happy reading all.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #21
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Actually this effort will not be necessary. Once I started in on it and begin looking at the source html I found that when one opens this link http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/i/ibsen/henrik/peer/ and examines the small navigation box at the upper right on the page, one option (the green [what is meant to be an e] symbol at the bottom is a link to download this as an epub. So this would seem to be a good source based on a preliminary look. Happy reading all.
That is really good news! I look forward to reading that edition! Thanks for the information.

If anyone has a musical interest in the combination of Grieg and Ibsen, it is also possible {for a price} to download the play with the incidental music from iTunes or Amazon {I think Amazon is the cheaper}

Last edited by fantasyfan; 10-02-2011 at 08:11 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #22
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I didn't get to vote. I've been browsing MR on a mobile while traveling in Europe, and posts with polls only display the discussion thread. I would have voted for Candida since it's been on my TBR list for a long while. Plays are not a format that I typically read, but I am willing to try something different. That's why I enjoy this book club! I know I have read A Doll's House but that was nearly 20 years ago so I don't remember it.

Ironically, I was reading the second book in the Flavia De Luce mysteries by Alan Bradley last week, and the book mentioned Grieg's Peer Gynt suite. This series is about a precocious, chemistry-obsessed 10 year-old set in a small village in 1950 post-WW2 England. It is packed full of literary references for book lovers. I definitely plan to seek out the music. My challenge will be finding time to read this month, and I will likely be traveling again when the discussion starts.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #23
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Ironically, I was reading the second book in the Flavia De Luce mysteries by Alan Bradley last week, and the book mentioned Grieg's Peer Gynt suite. This series is about a precocious, chemistry-obsessed 10 year-old set in a small village in 1950 post-WW2 England. It is packed full of literary references for book lovers. I definitely plan to seek out the music. My challenge will be finding time to read this month, and I will likely be traveling again when the discussion starts.
This sounds very interesting! Thank you for mentioning it.

Edit: Oof! The Kindle versions are expensive at $11.99 a piece, but the do have the an omnibus version for the first 3: Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce 3-Book Bundle

Last edited by Nyssa; 10-02-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #24
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the link. It also has color illustrations. Excellent!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #25
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
This sounds very interesting! Thank you for mentioning it.

Edit: Oof! The Kindle versions are expensive at $11.99 a piece, but the do have the an omnibus version for the first 3: Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce 3-Book Bundle
My local library offers the ebooks in both Kindle and EPUB versions. They also have the audiobook versions.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #26
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
My local library offers the ebooks in both Kindle and EPUB versions. They also have the audiobook versions.
I'm waiting to free up some funds so that hubby & I can try out the Philly library. Their non-resident fee is lower than the non-resident fee for the county right next to us, and it sounds like they have a fantastic selection.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #27
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
If anyone has a musical interest in the combination of Grieg and Ibsen, it is also possible {for a price} to download the play with the incidental music from iTunes or Amazon {I think Amazon is the cheaper}
I've already requested the CD from my local library. I don't think I will be listening to it while reading though, my senses and mind are not up to that multi-tasking.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #28
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
This is the first time in this club that the one I voted for won, so I'm excited for this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
Ibsen's play should be a very interesting experience, filled as it is with myth and fantasy. {And one can listen to Grieg's wonderful music written for the play at the appropriate sections }
Thanks for the idea!

Quote:
Thanks for finding this for us.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #29
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Thanks for finding this for us.

Thanks but it is HomeInMyShoes that deserves the credit for finding that web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
The Kindle edition doesn't appear to be available in Canada either.

I found a couple on-line.

PDF Format from ibsen.net

Quite a Fun looking version to read online at Adelaide University

If I decide to pick up this month's club selection it'll be at my computer which is a bit frustrating. I'll check my local library too.
I was only the first to mention that in addition to the HTML pages that could be viewed at that site, there was also the link to the content as an epub document. Something I should have spotted straight away as I was around for this discussion about selection of a logo for ebpubs.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #30
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Calibre does an excellent job of converting the epub text to mobi. I've kept the first on my iPad {the colour illustrations are fab} and read the mobi conversion on the Kindle generally. On the Kindle the colour illustrations are in greyscale, of course, but they still look pretty good.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book club, literary, literature, plays, voting