Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-22-2022, 07:48 AM   #1
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Is Onyx responsive, receptive, helpful?

As the title says, is Onyx responsive, receptive, helpful?
Have you had any interactions with Onyx that indicates either way?

I've been to https://help.boox.com/ a few times and not found it helpful.
They pretty much tell you to go to https://push.boox.com/ and upload all your logs.
First, I don't want to do that. Second, I don't know how to do that. Third, the logs would not be helpful. What the hell are in the logs anyway?

So, I have a bug report where I can tell them which files, which LINE, which CHARACTERS are in error and nothing will get done. Sigh.

Undoubtedly Onyx is not much worse than anyone else in the industry.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 08:55 AM   #2
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
A few years ago, I would have said "absolutely not" Then, it seemed like there was no such thing as Onyx customer service. However, when I contacted them last year about an update that would not install on one of my devices, they actually were "responsive, receptive, helpful". I contacted Onyx through a link provided in the Settings section of the firmware.

Sooo... I'd say that they are better than before, but the bar was pretty low. There is a chance that Onyx will be responsive, but i wouldn't bet the farm on it...
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2022, 01:26 PM   #3
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Whenever I used feedback on the device, I got an answer - mostly solving the problem.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 04:14 PM   #4
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Well, I found them responsive but not directly helpful, although not useless.

Remember that bug I had when the Home button in the notification tray was acting up? I emailed them as suggested by the Onyx Boox official representative. The bug got fixed in about 6 months so they listened anyway.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 01:25 PM   #5
markuk
markuk began at the beginning.

Device: Nova Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Have you had any interactions with Onyx that indicates either way?

I've been to https://help.boox.com/ a few times and not found it helpful.
They pretty much tell you to go to https://push.boox.com/ and upload all your logs.
First, I don't want to do that. Second, I don't know how to do that. Third, the logs would not be helpful. What the hell are in the logs anyway?

So, I have a bug report where I can tell them which files, which LINE, which CHARACTERS are in error and nothing will get done. Sigh.

Undoubtedly Onyx is not much worse than anyone else in the industry.
At first I thought not, but cannot fault them since reporting a firmware issue withmy Nova Air 2
Messages via their Twitter account and using Fedback on the the device
They issued a new firmware today 19th Dec within less than a week of me reporting the Music App crarshed the system UI
All good day and I am well happy with their support
markuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2022, 02:12 PM   #6
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markuk View Post
They issued a new firmware today 19th Dec within less than a week of me reporting the Music App crarshed the system UI.
Congratulations!
Old 12-19-2022, 02:18 PM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
We will see.
I reported 3 problems per feedback regarding my Tab Ultra:
1,) no possibility to switch off auto sleep.
2.) no possibility to change language in bluetooth keyboard.
3.) slow access to directories with a large amount of files
Old 12-19-2022, 02:38 PM   #8
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
1,) no possibility to switch off auto sleep.
Code:
$ settings put system screen_off_timeout 300000
That's 5 minutes in milliseconds. Just put in a really big number.
Quote:
2.) no possibility to change language in bluetooth keyboard.
That's in Accessibility. If Onyx doesn't give you that:
Code:
$ am start -n com.android.settings/.Settings
Quote:
I already gave you a solution for that!
Old 12-19-2022, 03:01 PM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Code:
$ settings put system screen_off_timeout 300000
That's 5 minutes in milliseconds. Just put in a really big number.

That's in Accessibility. If Onyx doesn't give you that:
Code:
$ am start -n com.android.settings/.Settings
Quote:
I already gave you a solution for that!
Thank you, but I want an Onyx solution - not only for me.
And the solution you gave to me I didnt understand.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 12-19-2022 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-19-2022, 03:42 PM   #10
Renate
Wizard

Well, did the first two help you?
Old 12-19-2022, 04:12 PM   #11
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Well, did the first two help you?
1.) I want to set it complete off and and I didn't dare to use 0.
I help myself with long campaigns by connecting Tab Ultra to the power supply
2.) I Installed SimpleInkLauncher and so I could use the Android settings.
Old 12-19-2022, 05:27 PM   #12
Renate
Wizard

It's not in Systems > Languages & input > Physical keyboard > Layout?
Old 12-19-2022, 05:43 PM   #13
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
It's not in Systems > Languages & input > Physical keyboard > Layout?
Not in Tab Ultra.
A connected Bluetooth keyboard is not recognized as a physical keyboard by the Boox system.
Therefore no language change is possible.

Tags
customer service