Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 08:52 PM   #31
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by incumbent View Post
Whoa stand back everyone, lest we besmirch the good name of "tvuongpham".
I find it good practice to avoid besmirching anyone..it is good karma.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:54 PM   #32
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I trust you saw the post over in your other thread
Sure did .. thank you.. p.s. I also reached out to Kobo via twitter
@Kobo and @KoboHelp

Of course I provided my case number to them as well. Just a disconnect for kobo on the back end
Advert
Old 09-16-2015, 09:02 PM   #33
tvuongpham
Banned

Noted: Thank you for your opinion. Interpretation of consumer law is different in the USA vs other parts of the world.

My apologies if I offended anyone on this board if my ALL CAPS were interpreted as shouting at your directly. I don't appreciate being called a liar. ;-)

As a point of clarification the warranty expressed and implied is published on KOBO. It does not say anywhere all purchases must be from a closed network of vendors and distributors.

A valid receipt was provided. I am not concerned a I always had the option to return to seller as stated in the sale conditions. I however optimistically wanted Kobo to work and see how their "support/ customer service" worked.

I already have read from other reviews how Kobo support puts its end users/ "customers" through the riot act and accuses them of damage etc as an "easy out" to avoid warranty work.

sad.

so be it. We have a difference in opinion.

A nutter ? Perhaps I am, but I have my rational. Not everyone will subscribe but then you have your right to your own opinion.

Have a nice day.

I am done with this topic. The only followup will be if the Kobo Rep here will respond as they said they will...

/nuf said
Old 09-16-2015, 09:08 PM   #34
tvuongpham
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
The Kobo warranty explicitly says that you need a dated purchase or gift receipt. As far as I know, eBay doesn't give receipts, and there's no guarantee the product you purchased was new even though you insist it was packaged in a "like new" condition.

As for accusations of forgery, you may have screwed yourself on that one when you lied and said that the item was a gift. Then when you suddenly produced a "receipt" showing that you had purchased it for yourself, it may have raised a red flag.
LOL

I stated. I received this as a GIFT .. as I "gifted" it to myself. I said I can try to get a receipt. Which I provided the paypal receipt and even the eBay transaction.
All 100% valid.
No forgery.

As for "new" all seals intact. internal and external seals. lcd cover etc.

firmware updates etc.
Kobo "backend" doesn't handle devices like Amazon.. touche.

Have a nice day.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:11 PM   #35
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuongpham View Post
As a point of clarification the warranty expressed and implied is published on KOBO. It does not say anywhere all purchases must be from a closed network of vendors and distributors.

A valid receipt was provided.
Out of curiosity, where did you get the receipt? Because I'm pretty sure there aren't many manufacturers who would accept an eBay invoice between private individuals as a valid proof of purchase, especially when the item in question was listed as "open box".
Advert
Old 09-16-2015, 09:16 PM   #36
tvuongpham
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
I'm trying to understand your arguments but so far I'm failing to. The impression you're leaving is that you knew full well you were not eligible to anything, tried to hide that fact while insulting Kobo customer service, and even if Kobo were to provide a working device to you all they can expect in return is even more of the Scathing/Hate/Insults/Threats you dish out with almost every post.

Is there a link to the Ebay offer? If it was a real store selling returned items I could understand somewhat; they would still count as new (not really sold until the buyer actually keeps it - what else are stores to do with returned items when the next customer doesn't like to see fingerprints?), you'd get a proper proof of purchase no questions asked, and probably not much hassle as long as you don't miscommunicate things.
No, not insults to Customer Service. They insulted me with Level 1 Scripts (canned responses without listening to the customer)

I have been in the cycle many, many time with many devices.
ebay offer: item # ( 231665999151 )

The reseller is legit. with customer service number, return dates etc.

The Kobo people have made it difficult IMHO. I provided all documentation, but they wanted more than "normal"
"proper proof of purchase" - my digital receipt: paypal ebay etc.
lol

It is a brave new world. ecommerce blurs the lines for traditional reseller/distribution chains.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:21 PM   #37
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Can you please post the warranty or link to the warranty please?
I would like to read it.
Never mind. Found it myself.
It is under warranty for 1 year from the original retail purchase date. That is the receipt one needs for the warranty.
Sorry but a reseller is not an original retailer.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 09-16-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:23 PM   #38
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I stated. I received this as a GIFT .. as I "gifted" it to myself.

I said I can try to get a receipt. Which I provided the paypal receipt and even the eBay transaction.
All 100% valid.
No forgery.
Sorry, but calling it a gift was disingenuous at best since it implies that an individual other than you purchased the item and then gave it to you. Telling the customer service rep that it was a gift and then suddenly producing documentation showing that you, in fact, had purchased the device is probably what tipped them off that you weren't being honest. I find it hilarious that you're indignant that they accused you of forgery when they really should have accused you of lying.

And again, "proof of purchase" between private individuals doesn't really count for warranty purposes since Kobo has no guarantees about the state of the product at the time your purchased it, especially since it was an "open box" item.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:30 PM   #39
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Can you please post the warranty or link to the warranty please?
I would like to read it.
Never mind. Found it myself.
It is under warranty for 1 year from the original retail purchase date. That is the receipt one needs for the warranty.
Sorry but a reseller is not an original retailer.
Warranty by country can be found at...
https://www.kobo.com/userguides
Old 09-16-2015, 09:35 PM   #40
the.Mtn.Man
Guru

Quote:
ebay offer: item # ( 231665999151 )
Ah, I see why you're not trying to resolve this with the seller. Their warranty is apparently only good for 24-hours. Says right there in the listing: "All product guaranteed against DOA (Dead On Arrival.) Short-shipments, DOA (Dead On Arrival) and Deviations must be reported within 24 hours from delivered date." Since your Aura didn't die until a few days later, you were pretty much screwed with the seller and tried to con Kobo with your "It was a gift" ruse.

Well, hopefully you learned your lesson to only buy from reputable retailers instead of one of the many fly-by-not operations that live on eBay.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:36 PM   #41
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Warranty by country can be found at...
https://www.kobo.com/userguides
Thanks. I found it myself but still appreciated.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:12 PM   #42
tvuongpham
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Ah, I see why you're not trying to resolve this with the seller. Their warranty is apparently only good for 24-hours. Says right there in the listing: "All product guaranteed against DOA (Dead On Arrival.) Short-shipments, DOA (Dead On Arrival) and Deviations must be reported within 24 hours from delivered date." Since your Aura didn't die until a few days later, you were pretty much screwed with the seller and tried to con Kobo with your "It was a gift" ruse.

Well, hopefully you learned your lesson to only buy from reputable retailers instead of one of the many fly-by-not operations that live on eBay.
E-commerce blurs lines.
I.e.
What prevents me from being a reseller if I buy liquidator merchandise from a store closing? What prevents me from being a reseller if I buy liquidator merchandise from a store closing
Old 09-16-2015, 10:14 PM   #43
tvuongpham
Banned

I guess you can see clearly the diversity of interpretation consumer law
The big picture is KOBO is a manufacture and then you standby their product.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:34 PM   #44
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
You bought an open box item on ebay. You paid less for it because it was described as an open box item. Kobo is a business. It warrants its products only for a certain period. It requires you to provide proof that your product is within that period and eligible for warranty. Your receipt for an open box product from an ebay seller does not establish this. The seller's receipt for its own purchase may do so, but you don't seem to have been able to obtain this.

I'm sorry to hear that your device is faulty. Hopefully you will find some remedy. Kobo may even agree to help you. But Kobo is just not to blame here.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:52 PM   #45
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
E-commerce blurs lines.
I.e.
What prevents me from being a reseller if I buy liquidator merchandise from a store closing? What prevents me from being a reseller if I buy liquidator merchandise from a store closing
Nothing at all. But what relevance could that possibly have?

Neither you nor the real-world case of the ebay seller who sold you the Kobo Aura, have an agreement with Kobo Inc. to resell Kobos on behalf of Kobo Inc.
The hypothetical reseller cannot offer a warranty on Kobo's behalf that Kobo did not agree to offer.

The only line that is being blurred is the line between reality and fantasy wishful thinking.
Closed Thread

Tags
customer service, kobo aura, kobo sucks