Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 02:16 PM   #16
incumbent
Opinionator
incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD / iPad Mini Retina • iBooks (macOS, iOS) & Marvin
Whoa stand back everyone, lest we besmirch the good name of "tvuongpham".
Old 09-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #17
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuongpham View Post
Allow me to clear things up.
No questions about where item purchased. All documents provided multiple times digitally to kobo. After which I was falsely accused that the docs are forged. Furthermore nothing in online warranty from kobo.com excludes any dealer. I am a consumer I do not need to find "authenticity" stickers prior to purchasing.

But I will need to adjust my expectations based in experience. I will not support Kobo based on such experience.

Please refrain from liable comments. That would be false and a costly matter if sued for defamation of character.

Again. Please get your facts straight. I cannot deal with a company that distrusts their customers. EVEN AFTER ALL DOCUMENTS ARE INORDER.
Ok. That's all fine and good. I understand you provided the purchase receipt with the original ticket. Frankly that happens to me no matter what company I've dealt with for customer service (except Amazon since they already have all your receipts in their system)... many use cookie-cutter responses and provide answers having nothing to do with your problem. It happens, either explain it to them again nicely or don't.

But did you take up the offer of help by the Kobo Rep that visits the MR forums he extended in your other thread?

If you're just totally ignoring that offer of help, then you really aren't going to get much sympathy or understanding here when you have a solution to the problem waiting for you.
Advert
Old 09-16-2015, 03:25 PM   #18
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Furthermore nothing in online warranty from kobo.com excludes any dealer.
The Kobo warranty explicitly says that you need a dated purchase or gift receipt. As far as I know, eBay doesn't give receipts, and there's no guarantee the product you purchased was new even though you insist it was packaged in a "like new" condition.

As for accusations of forgery, you may have screwed yourself on that one when you lied and said that the item was a gift. Then when you suddenly produced a "receipt" showing that you had purchased it for yourself, it may have raised a red flag.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:30 PM   #19
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Some helpful kobo users on this public forum. Some pretty filled with assumptions

Granted I completely compared my end user experience against Sony and Amazon sorry kobo fell short. But in your little universe kobo is awesome, not so in mine. Lol
Well, I like to think of myself as a helpful Amazon user.

And in my little universe (I freely admit ) Amazon is awesome.
But I still don't expect Amazon to do what you expect of Kobo.

Quote:
Allow me to clear things up.
No questions about where item purchased. All documents provided multiple times digitally to kobo. After which I was falsely accused that the docs are forged. Furthermore nothing in online warranty from kobo.com excludes any dealer. I am a consumer I do not need to find "authenticity" stickers prior to purchasing.
When did you get a warranty from Kobo? You never had any dealings with them...
And what makes you think as 'a consumer I do not need to find "authenticity" stickers prior to purchasing'?

Quote:
But I will need to adjust my expectations based in experience. I will not support Kobo based on such experience.
I will need to adjust my expectations based on experience. Based on my experience with you, I cannot make you work. Fail for you. (based on post #7)
I will not support people helping you based on such experience.
(Also, you keep on writing in all CAPS, which is usually understood to be the written equivalent of screaming. And you are calling us all fools. How utterly pleasant.)

See how easy it is to throw stones, get everyone upset, and ensure a non-satisfactory result on everyone's part?

Quote:
Please refrain from liable comments. That would be false and a costly matter if sued for defamation of character.
Show me a liable comment that enables you to sue anyone here for defamation of character.

Quote:
Again. Please get your facts straight. I cannot deal with a company that distrusts their customers. EVEN AFTER ALL DOCUMENTS ARE INORDER.
The documents are irrelevant, you have the wrong documents.
The fact that the wrong documents are in order, and prove something that only you care about, does not entitle you to any form of reparation from Kobo.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #20
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Hi.
As per the Caribbean call center, I got a most delightful customer service rep from that country this morning. (Not Kobo, but still). With another company, I got a horrible American service representative last Saturday.
Luck of the draw I do believe.

Now I just looked up a standard warranty. This sentence caught my eye.
"The warranty is valid for the original retail purchaser from the date of the initial retail purchase and is not transferable."
I figure that is common.

Now if one is completely honest, some manufacturers will help you out.
Heck Amazon offered me what I had paid for my touch if I got a refurbished PW.
Garmin sent me free of charge, the cord that was missing when I bought one used from a third party.

Oh on the horrible rep, I called the company back today. The new rep was flabbergasted (her word) at the conditions I had reported. She was also upset with the previous rep who had not offered anything to make things even somewhat right.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 09-16-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Advert
Old 09-16-2015, 05:24 PM   #21
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm trying to understand your arguments but so far I'm failing to. The impression you're leaving is that you knew full well you were not eligible to anything, tried to hide that fact while insulting Kobo customer service, and even if Kobo were to provide a working device to you all they can expect in return is even more of the Scathing/Hate/Insults/Threats you dish out with almost every post.

Is there a link to the Ebay offer? If it was a real store selling returned items I could understand somewhat; they would still count as new (not really sold until the buyer actually keeps it - what else are stores to do with returned items when the next customer doesn't like to see fingerprints?), you'd get a proper proof of purchase no questions asked, and probably not much hassle as long as you don't miscommunicate things.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:21 PM   #22
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Wow this was some rant. 10/10
Why does Kobo get all the nutters?
Old 09-16-2015, 06:29 PM   #23
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
I don't know, this may be different in each country, but isn't the normal way to contact the retailer, not the manufacturer? The retailer then decides if he replaces the product or sends it in to the manufacturer. By the way, that is what amazon does for products not produced by them. You won't call the manufacturer, but amazon if something is wrong.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:45 PM   #24
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, Touch, H2O - now Aura One and Kindle Oasis 3
Is this some performance art, or has this forum slipped into some bizarro-alternate dimension?

Either way the words sense of entitlement Springs to mind ?
Old 09-16-2015, 07:00 PM   #25
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
I don't know, this may be different in each country, but isn't the normal way to contact the retailer, not the manufacturer? The retailer then decides if he replaces the product or sends it in to the manufacturer. By the way, that is what amazon does for products not produced by them. You won't call the manufacturer, but amazon if something is wrong.
Kobo retailers do tend to refer you straight to Kobo, at least if Chapters Indigo is typical.

The OP really lost me with his defamation threat. And his "how dare you call me a liar" response to Meera. And his failure to respond to the thread as to whether he has contacted the Customer Service Rep who reached out to him. I never thought I would see the day I was defending Kobo customer service, but they have clearly been more than reasonable here.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:40 PM   #26
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by incumbent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Really? So both Sony and Amazon will provide warranty services on products purchased from questionable sources without a proof of purchase? That's pretty impressive (although I doubt it's true).
Not a chance. At least in the case of Sony, they absolutely refuse to touch anything grey-market.
I know, so I'm confused why he's comparing Kobo to Sony and Amazon in this instance.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #27
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
That's the case here in Australia. The retailer might ask you to talk to the manufacturer to see exactly what the problem is, but legally, it is the retailer that has to exchange the product, refund the money or do whatever is needed to fix things.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:10 PM   #28
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

There is no need for any member to 'shout' at another member through the use of caps.

Please feel free to disagree with a person's opinions, or dispute their facts or data, providing you do so politely. Likewise, please address your criticisms to those opinions, facts and data rather than the person. Refer to the MobileRead Guidelines, specifically the full text of the very first item. When posting, your attention to the Guidelines is required. Name calling ("troll") and insults ("obtuse") are not allowed.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:38 PM   #29
the.Mtn.Man
Guru

Quote:
I don't know, this may be different in each country, but isn't the normal way to contact the retailer, not the manufacturer?
In this case, there is no retailer. He purchased an item that was explicitly advertised as "open box" from a (presumably) private seller on eBay. In such a case, there should never be any expectation that the original manufacturer will honor any sort of warranty since warranties are almost always exclusive to the original purchaser. The OP tried to get around this by lying and saying that the ereader was a gift (justifying it by saying that it was a gift to himself ), and then he got all pissy when the customer service rep pressed him and tried to get an original proof of purchase.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:51 PM   #30
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Ok. That's all fine and good. I understand you provided the purchase receipt with the original ticket. Frankly that happens to me no matter what company I've dealt with for customer service (except Amazon since they already have all your receipts in their system)... many use cookie-cutter responses and provide answers having nothing to do with your problem. It happens, either explain it to them again nicely or don't.

But did you take up the offer of help by the Kobo Rep that visits the MR forums he extended in your other thread?

If you're just totally ignoring that offer of help, then you really aren't going to get much sympathy or understanding here when you have a solution to the problem waiting for you.
Thank you for the reminder.. but yes I did. I sent him my email address, case notes (email thread from support) and case # And two emails and my private phone number.

But over 24hours and no response.... ;-)
Closed Thread

Tags
customer service, kobo aura, kobo sucks