Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-01-2020, 10:58 AM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrzvnrnd View Post
Looks pretty good. Any chance of your posing such an eBook so I can try it on my H2O?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:43 AM   #47
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Looks pretty good. Any chance of your posing such an eBook so I can try it on my H2O?
Yes, but I need some time: as I said I dropped the project before release it, so I have some "frankenstein" EPUB3 and I have to clean one to share
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2020, 07:42 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, but I need some time: as I said I dropped the project before release it, so I have some "frankenstein" EPUB3 and I have to clean one to share
Thanks!
Old 12-02-2020, 07:55 AM   #49
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks!
http://venerandi.com/poesielettronicheSlim.kepub.epub

It is a dirty EPUB3. The "censored" lyrics are not working (in real ebook you can read the hidden part touching it), the #due poetry works (some text changes while you read), and the visual poetry is working only for animation, not interaction.

Last edited by fbrzvnrnd; 12-02-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-20-2020, 01:13 PM   #50
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

BTW, I'm literally playing with my new ebook reader

Last edited by fbrzvnrnd; 12-20-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Advert
Old 12-20-2020, 08:17 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
http://venerandi.com/poesielettronicheSlim.kepub.epub

It is a dirty EPUB3. The "censored" lyrics are not working (in real ebook you can read the hidden part touching it), the #due poetry works (some text changes while you read), and the visual poetry is working only for animation, not interaction.
I finally got around to trying your ePub with video and the video works on my Kobo Aura H2O. Thank you for the ePub.
Old 12-21-2020, 03:25 AM   #52
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
I finally got around to trying your ePub with video and the video works on my Kobo Aura H2O. Thank you for the ePub.
My pleasure. But it is not a video, it is an animation
Old 12-22-2020, 04:33 PM   #53
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I am pretty sure that Amazon prohibits videos in Kindle format, at least on KDP.

(I didn't know Amazon didn't support epub3! Thank you, David.)
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:14 AM   #54
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I am pretty sure that Amazon prohibits videos in Kindle format, at least on KDP.
Yes, in ePUB, MOBI, Word, and zipped HTML formats, it's not allowed. It is allowed in .kpf, the Kindle Create format for fixed-layout.

Quote:
(I didn't know Amazon didn't support epub3! Thank you, David.)
??? They do, as it happens. But that doesn't mean that they support ALL possible functions or animations, etc., under ePUB3. Just like ePUB2; they didn't support all the CSS therefor, either.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:00 AM   #55
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, in ePUB, MOBI, Word, and zipped HTML formats, it's not allowed. It is allowed in .kpf, the Kindle Create format for fixed-layout.
Weird... where in KDP guidelines is this written?

Quote:
??? They do, as it happens. But that doesn't mean that they support ALL possible functions or animations, etc., under ePUB3. Just like ePUB2; they didn't support all the CSS therefor, either.

Hitch

To be precise amazon does not support EPUB3, but supports a subset of HTML5 and CSS3 (a very little subset). No scripting at all, for example.

f.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #56
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's not. But if you try to upload any of the listed items, with video, Amazon very efficiently simply removes the video or audio elements. Period. And if you ask them, via phone or emaiIn other words, they don't want the brain-damage of having to try to provide tech support for every Tom, Dick and Harriet that is uploading a Word file, trying to create...whatever. I don't blame them one iota.

Quote:
To be precise amazon does not support EPUB3, but supports a subset of HTML5 and CSS3 (a very little subset). No scripting at all, for example.

f.
As I said, they do not support ALL the varied options available under ePUB3. That doesn't mean that they don't support some aspects of ePUB3. If we're going to say that if they don't support every last bit of it, it's unsupported, fine, then they don't, but they never supported everything that could be done under ePUB2.0 either. Nonetheless, you can submit ePUB3 files with a nav (see 5.2.1 Creating Logical TOC Using a toc nav Element, in the Kindle Publishing Guidelines).

Moreover, at least 4-5x in the KPG, they link to the ePUB3.0 Recommended Specifications (IDPF 3.0 Specification). (And for accessibility guidelines, too, BTW, for ePUB3)

So...given that they repeatedly refer prospective publishers to the IDPF ePUB 3.0 spec, I don't believe that you can argue that they "don't support" ePUB 3.0. Again, if to say that it's supported, they'd have to allow every single aspect under 3.0...no, I don't think that will EVER happen.

Hitch
Old 12-23-2020, 09:46 AM   #57
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
The closest thing seems to be in the KDP page on Creating Kindle Editions with Audio/Video Content which states "KDP doesn't currently accept Kindle Edition with Audio/Video content."

In contrast the KDP page Prepare Print Replica Books with Kindle Create has instructions for adding audio and video with no KDP restrictions.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:48 AM   #58
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
It's not. But if you try to upload any of the listed items, with video, Amazon very efficiently simply removes the video or audio elements. Period. And if you ask them, via phone or emaiIn other words, they don't want the brain-damage of having to try to provide tech support for every Tom, Dick and Harriet that is uploading a Word file, trying to create...whatever. I don't blame them one iota.
I explained myself wrong: I know kindle doesn't support video in kf8, but I didn't know he supported it in kpf.

Quote:
As I said, they do not support ALL the varied options available under ePUB3. That doesn't mean that they don't support some aspects of ePUB3. If we're going to say that if they don't support every last bit of it, it's unsupported, fine, then they don't, but they never supported everything that could be done under ePUB2.0 either. Nonetheless, you can submit ePUB3 files with a nav (see 5.2.1 Creating Logical TOC Using a toc nav Element, in the Kindle Publishing Guidelines).

Moreover, at least 4-5x in the KPG, they link to the ePUB3.0 Recommended Specifications (IDPF 3.0 Specification). (And for accessibility guidelines, too, BTW, for ePUB3)

So...given that they repeatedly refer prospective publishers to the IDPF ePUB 3.0 spec, I don't believe that you can argue that they "don't support" ePUB 3.0. Again, if to say that it's supported, they'd have to allow every single aspect under 3.0...no, I don't think that will EVER happen.

Hitch
Sure, you can send an EPUB3 file, but it seems to me inaccurate say that Amazon "support" EPUB3: kindle supports some of the standards EPUB3 also uses. HTML5, CSS3 or ncx, for example, are not "EPUB3" format, but standards used in EPUB3 too.
I think there are more EPUB3 specifications that Amazon kf8 does not support than the ones it support (javascript, video & audio, media overlay...).
but I understand your point of view, it is about shades of meaning.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:53 AM   #59
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I explained myself wrong: I know kindle doesn't support video in kf8, but I didn't know he supported it in kpf.
Indeed; there are instructions--for lack of a better word to describe them--about how to insert media in the KC (Kindle Create) User's Guide. But what you gain with the media, you more than lose with the format (fixed-layout). You cannot do embedded media with a reflowable KC-generated file.

Quote:
Sure, you can send an EPUB3 file, but it seems to me inaccurate say that Amazon "support" EPUB3: kindle supports some of the standards EPUB3 also uses. HTML5, CSS3 or ncx, for example, are not "EPUB3" format, but standards used in EPUB3 too.
I think there are more EPUB3 specifications that Amazon kf8 does not support than the ones it support (javascript, video & audio, media overlay...).
but I understand your point of view, it is about shades of meaning.
It is shades of meaning. Yes, KF8 doesn't support the multimedia circus. Or JS, and that's probably more about providing tech support than actual incapability, is my guess. I can say without any hesitation that after 11 years of dealing with KDP-self-publishing-authors, the idea of trying to provide tech support, around embedding media or, gods forbid, scripting....makes me want to run screaming into the night. Or day. Or anyplace, screaming.

Nonetheless, KDP does send people to the IDPF standards, for ePUB3.0. Not the old 2.0; not elsewhere. They do also reference W3 schools for HTML and CSS, yes. (I completely understand why they do that, too.) I mean, the kids gotta start somewhere, if they're not going to do Word or KC.

So...yes, it's degrees or shades.

Hitch