Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-06-2018, 05:15 PM   #61
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I have added support for compiling and adding translation files in v0.6.4.

Terisa de morgan: Can you test it, as I don't use custom translations myself?
Tested and translations are updated (after reading converter.sh for knowing how to add the info ). I can say for sure this because I've changed a translation (I had already patched the FW) and the new translation has appeared.

My configuration file includes to different files for nickel (GeoffR and oren64) and one translation.

Thank you very much. With this tool you allow me to skip four steps: to merge GeoffR's and oren64's patches, to configure every time which patches I want to apply, to update the script for adding translations and copy binary files to the tools directory. So a big thank you.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:35 PM   #62
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Tested and translations are updated (after reading converter.sh for knowing how to add the info ). I can say for sure this because I've changed a translation (I had already patched the FW) and the new translation has appeared.

My configuration file includes two different files for nickel (GeoffR and oren64) and one translation.

Thank you very much. With this tool you allow me to skip four steps: to merge GeoffR's and oren64's patches, to configure every time which patches I want to apply, to update the script for adding translations and copy binary files to the tools directory. So a big thank you.
Thanks for testing and responding so fast!

And you're welcome for kobopatch . You used it exactly how I intended it to be used (and how I use it myself).

Now for zlib, then kobopatch will be complete. It's been quite tricky so far, due to implementation differences in different libraries, but the end result will be worth it (less time required to make simple modifications, and easier to update to new firmware versions).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2018, 04:11 PM   #63
npr
Zealot
npr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, H2OE2, Libra 2
Updated my H2O e2 to the latest firmware using this patching system. Everything went well, took a while to understand how to use the kobopatch.yaml file but expect that to save lots of time on future updates.

Thanks for this new system it looks a excellent step forward.

One additional thing I would like to be able to do is replace the hyphen.en_GB file with my own custom one during the patching process. Is this possible?
npr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #64
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npr View Post
Updated my H2O e2 to the latest firmware using this patching system. Everything went well, took a while to understand how to use the kobopatch.yaml file but expect that to save lots of time on future updates.
Do you have any suggestions for how I can make it easier for new users to understand kobopatch.yaml?

Quote:
Thanks for this new system it looks a excellent step forward.
You're welcome.

Quote:
One additional thing I would like to be able to do is replace the hyphen.en_GB file with my own custom one during the patching process. Is this possible?
Probably. I am most likely going to add the ability to replace custom files sometime soon.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:27 AM   #65
npr
Zealot
npr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five words

It's really not that difficult to understand, my main problem was entering the list of patches with the yes / no flag and the inevitable typos I made which stopped the patching process and needed correcting.

The second issue I had was when I ran the new patch using the kobopatch.yaml from the previous patch version. The patching process stopped at every missing patch even though they were flagged as "no", it then took some time to identify the missing patch and remove it from the .yaml file.

One solution would be to only list "patch name: yes" in the .yalm file

Alternatively what do you think about making missing "no" patches have a soft fail. I don't see why the patch process needs to stop when a "no" patch is missing.
Advert
Old 07-08-2018, 07:42 AM   #66
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Tips and Tricks

Separating custom patches from the included ones
To make upgrading easier, as well as using the overrides section of kobopatch.yaml, you can also put custom patches which are not included into their own file. To do this, make a new file in the src folder, for example nickel.custom.patch (for patch32lsb format), or nickel.custom.yaml (for the new format). Afterwards, add a line in the patches section of kobopatch.yaml corresponding to your new file. Here is an example of mine:
Spoiler:
Code:
## Works with kobopatch v0.6 or higher.
## You can update kobopatch by downloading the latest release from https://github.com/geek1011/kobopatch/releases. 
version: 4.9.11311
in: src/kobo-update-4.9.11311.zip
out: KoboRoot.tgz
log: log.txt

patchFormat: patch32lsb

# Note the custom nickel.oren64.patch and libnickel.so.1.0.0.geek1011.patch files which patch the same binary.
patches:
  src/nickel.patch: usr/local/Kobo/nickel
  src/nickel.oren64.patch: usr/local/Kobo/nickel
  src/libadobe.so.patch: usr/local/Kobo/libadobe.so
  src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch: usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0
  src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.geek1011.patch: usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0
  src/librmsdk.so.1.0.0.patch: usr/local/Kobo/librmsdk.so.1.0.0

overrides:
  src/nickel.patch:
    Custom synopsis/details line spacing: yes
    Custom Header menubar - reduce height by 33%: yes
  src/nickel.oren64.patch:
    Increase The Cover Size In Library: yes
    Increasing The View Details Container: yes
    Reading stats/Author name cut when the series is showing bug fix: yes
    Increase size of Kepub chapter progress chart: yes
  src/libadobe.so.patch:
    Remove PDF map widget shown during panning: yes
  src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch:
    Custom font sizes: yes
    Freedom to advanced fonts control: yes
    Custom Sleep/Power-off timeouts: yes
    Fix three KePub fullScreenReading bugs: yes
    Always display chapter name on navigation menu: yes
    Clock display duration: yes
  src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.geek1011.patch:
    New home screen footer rename: yes
  src/librmsdk.so.1.0.0.patch:
It's better than what I ask for, thanks I will test it today.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:10 AM   #67
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
It's really not that difficult to understand, my main problem was entering the list of patches with the yes / no flag and the inevitable typos I made which stopped the patching process and needed correcting.

The second issue I had was when I ran the new patch using the kobopatch.yaml from the previous patch version. The patching process stopped at every missing patch even though they were flagged as "no", it then took some time to identify the missing patch and remove it from the .yaml file.

One solution would be to only list "patch name: yes" in the .yalm file

Alternatively what do you think about making missing "no" patches have a soft fail. I don't see why the patch process needs to stop when a "no" patch is missing.
Thanks for the feedback! For making patch selection easier, what do you think of a web interface to generate kobopatch.yaml easier?

For the overrides, you only need to list the yes ones, as all patches are disabled by default. Your last suggestion sounds good though. I'll do it for the next version.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:13 AM   #68
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
It's better than what I ask for, thanks I will test it today.
No problem! And I'm currently working on zlib support.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #69
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Checked, works fine. Conveniently. Thanks.

Last edited by Semwize; 07-10-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:52 PM   #70
npr
Zealot

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback! For making patch selection easier, what do you think of a web interface to generate kobopatch.yaml easier?
I think with the soft fail for "no" patches, all that's needed is to publish a standard kobopatch.yaml file listing all the patches flagged as "no". It's then a simple editing job for the user to change the "no" to "yes" for the patches he wants.

Can I also suggest adding a option to reduce the detail in the log file. Most of what's there means nothing to me, all I need is a list of patches successful processed.

For info: my kobopatch.yaml file

Spoiler:
Code:
## You can update kobopatch by downloading the latest release from https://github.com/geek1011/kobopatch/releases. 

## The patch format to use: kobopatch (.yaml) or patch32lsb(.patch)

## This section lists the patch files and the corresponding binary in the tgz.
patches:
  src/nickel.custom.patch: usr/local/Kobo/nickel

## You can put lines in the following section to override the enabled state of patches.
## The indentation matters! Each override should be indented by 4 spaces. Add to the 
## section below. This section can be copy and pasted into newer patch versions to
## keep your selections.
##
## Example of how it should look:
## overrides:
##   src/nickel.patch:
##     Custom synopsis/details line spacing: yes
##     Whatever the patch is called: no
##   src/libadobe.so.patch:
##     You get the idea: yes
overrides:
  src/nickel.patch:
     Disable reading footer: no
     Custom reading footer style: yes
     Custom synopsis/details line spacing: no
     Custom synopsis/font size: no
     Custom Header menubar - reduce height by 50%: no
     Dictionary pop-up frame size increase: no
     New home screen increasing cover size: no
     Reading stats/Author name cut when the series is showing bug fix: no
##     Increase size of Kepub chapter progress chart: no
##     New home screen removing the footer (row3) and increasing cover size: yes
##     show games on Beta Features: yes
  src/nickel.custom.patch:
     show games on Beta Features: yes 
  src/libadobe.so.patch:
     Remove PDF map widget shown during panning: no
     My 10 line spacing values: yes
     My 24 line spacing values: no
     Custom left & right margins: yes
     ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins: no
     ePub fixed top/bottom margins: no
     ePub disable built-in body padding-bottom: no
     Custom kepub default margins: yes
     Block WiFi firmware upgrade: no
     Custom footer (page number text): no
     Custom Sleep/Power-off timeouts: no
     Set KePub hyphenation: yes
     Force user line spacing in KePubs: yes
     Force user line spacing in ePubs (part 1 of 2): no
     Un-force font-family override p tags (std epubs): no
     Force user font-family in ePubs (Part 1 of 2): no
     ePub constant font sharpness: no
     KePub constant font sharpness: no
     Un-Force user text-align in div,p tags in KePubs: no
     Always display chapter name on navigation menu: no
     Un-Force user font-family in KePubs: no
     Un-force link decoration in KePubs: no
     KePub stylesheet additions: yes
     Change dicthtml strings to micthtml: no
     Allow searches on Extra dictionaries: no
     Ignore .otf fonts: no
     Brightness fine control: no
     Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height - beta: no
     Clock display duration: no
##     Keyboard template (Mini/Touch/Glo/Aura): no
##     Keyboard template (AuraHD/H2O): no
##     Keyboard template (GloHD/AuraOne/H2O2): no
##     Cyrillic keyboard (Mini/Touch/Glo/Aura/AuraHD/H2O): no
##     Cyrillic Keyboard (GloHD/AuraOne/H2O2): no
##     Arabic keyboard (Mini/Touch/Glo/Aura/AuraHD/H2O): no
##     Hebrew keyboard (Mini/Touch/Glo/Aura): no
##     Hebrew keyboard (AuraHD/H2O): no
##     Hebrew keyboard (GloHD/AuraOne/H2O2): no
##     Greek Keyboard (GloHD/AuraOne/H2O2): no
     Disable orphans/widows avoidance: yes
     Default ePub monospace font (Courier): no
     Default ePub serif font (Amasis): no
     Default ePub sans-serif font (Gill Sans): no
     Default ePub symbol font (Symbol): no
     Force user line spacing in ePubs (Part 2 of 2): no
     Force user font-family in ePubs (Part 2 of 2): no
     Ignore ePub book Adobe XPGT stylesheet (page-template.xpgt): no
     Ignore ePub book CSS and Adobe XPGT stylesheets: no
     Ignore ePub TOC navpoints: no

Sorry, lost the indentation on pasting to the forum.
## The indentation matters! Each override should be indented by 4 spaces.
Corrected --- Thanks PeterT

Last edited by npr; 07-08-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:15 PM   #71
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
I think with the soft fail for "no" patches, all that's needed is to publish a standard kobopatch.yaml file listing all the patches flagged as "no". It's then a simple editing job for the user to change the "no" to "yes" for the patches he wants.

Can I also suggest adding a option to reduce the detail in the log file. Most of what's there means nothing to me, all I need is a list of patches successful processed.

For info: my kobopatch.yaml file

Spoiler:
Code:

## The patch format to use: kobopatch (.yaml) or patch32lsb(.patch)

## This section lists the patch files and the corresponding binary in the tgz.
patches:
  src/nickel.custom.patch: usr/local/Kobo/nickel

## You can put lines in the following section to override the enabled state of patches.
## The indentation matters! Each override should be indented by 4 spaces. Add to the 
## section below. This section can be copy and pasted into newer patch versions to
## keep your selections.
##
## Example of how it should look:
## overrides:
##   src/nickel.patch:
##     Custom synopsis/details line spacing: yes
##     Whatever the patch is called: no
##   src/libadobe.so.patch:
##     You get the idea: yes
overrides:
  src/nickel.patch:
     Disable reading footer: no
     Custom reading footer style: yes
     Custom synopsis/details line spacing: no
     Custom synopsis/font size: no
     Custom Header menubar - reduce height by 50%: no
     Dictionary pop-up frame size increase: no
     New home screen increasing cover size: no
     Reading stats/Author name cut when the series is showing bug fix: no
##     Increase size of Kepub chapter progress chart: no
##     New home screen removing the footer (row3) and increasing cover size: yes
##     show games on Beta Features: yes
  src/nickel.custom.patch:
     show games on Beta Features: yes 
  src/libadobe.so.patch:
     Remove PDF map widget shown during panning: no
     My 10 line spacing values: yes
     My 24 line spacing values: no
     Custom left & right margins: yes
     ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins: no
     ePub fixed top/bottom margins: no
     ePub disable built-in body padding-bottom: no
     Custom kepub default margins: yes
     Block WiFi firmware upgrade: no
     Custom footer (page number text): no
     Custom Sleep/Power-off timeouts: no
     Set KePub hyphenation: yes
     Force user line spacing in KePubs: yes
     Force user line spacing in ePubs (part 1 of 2): no
     Un-force font-family override p tags (std epubs): no
     Force user font-family in ePubs (Part 1 of 2): no
     ePub constant font sharpness: no
     KePub constant font sharpness: no
     Un-Force user text-align in div,p tags in KePubs: no
     Always display chapter name on navigation menu: no
     Un-Force user font-family in KePubs: no
     Un-force link decoration in KePubs: no
     KePub stylesheet additions: yes
     Change dicthtml strings to micthtml: no
     Allow searches on Extra dictionaries: no
     Ignore .otf fonts: no
     Brightness fine control: no
     Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height - beta: no
     Clock display duration: no
##     Keyboard template (Mini/Touch/Glo/Aura): no
##     Keyboard template (AuraHD/H2O): no
##     Keyboard template (GloHD/AuraOne/H2O2): no
##     Cyrillic keyboard (Mini/Touch/Glo/Aura/AuraHD/H2O): no
##     Cyrillic Keyboard (GloHD/AuraOne/H2O2): no
##     Arabic keyboard (Mini/Touch/Glo/Aura/AuraHD/H2O): no
##     Hebrew keyboard (Mini/Touch/Glo/Aura): no
##     Hebrew keyboard (AuraHD/H2O): no
##     Hebrew keyboard (GloHD/AuraOne/H2O2): no
##     Greek Keyboard (GloHD/AuraOne/H2O2): no
     Disable orphans/widows avoidance: yes
     Default ePub monospace font (Courier): no
     Default ePub serif font (Amasis): no
     Default ePub sans-serif font (Gill Sans): no
     Default ePub symbol font (Symbol): no
     Force user line spacing in ePubs (Part 2 of 2): no
     Force user font-family in ePubs (Part 2 of 2): no
     Ignore ePub book Adobe XPGT stylesheet (page-template.xpgt): no
     Ignore ePub book CSS and Adobe XPGT stylesheets: no
     Ignore ePub TOC navpoints: no

Sorry, lost the indentation on pasting to the forum.
## The indentation matters! Each override should be indented by 4 spaces.
Just add [code] .... [/code] to preserve indentation
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #72
geek1011
Wizard

Zlib support is coming very soon (https://github.com/geek1011/kobopatch/issues/4). I just figured out the biggest issue I was having.

The instructions I will be implementing are:

FindZlib: Finds a zlib css offset, not sensitive to line breaks or whitespace differences
- FindZlib: "#StatsView[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true]"

FindZlibHash: Finds a zlib css string by it's SHA1 hash
- FindZlib: w4ujrwe4ujtowe485rwoe4j (I know that isn't a valid hash)

ReplaceZlib: Replaces a zlib css string at the current offset (found with above functions or set with BaseAddress)
- ReplaceZlib:
Offset: 0
Find: "margin: 20px"
Replace: "margin: 40px"

In the future, I might also implement the following instruction:
SetZlibCSS: Sets a property for a CSS selector
- SetZlibCSS:
Offset: 0
Select: "BookProgressBarWidget[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true]"
Set: "min-height: 32px"

Please tell me what you think of those instructions or if you have any better/more useful ideas for instructions. Also, to save me some time for testing, it would be nice if oren64 could convert a simple patch to one using ReplaceZlib.

Last edited by geek1011; 07-09-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:31 PM   #73
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@geek1011,

I have a basic question about FindZlib. Using your above example:

If "#StatsView[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true]" is the correct unique string for this CSS stream but it is not the first line of the stream can you still use this function or do you need to use FindZlibHash instead?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #74
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@geek1011,

I have a basic question about FindZlib. Using your above example:

If "#StatsView[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true]" is the correct unique string for this CSS stream but it is not the first line of the stream can you still use this function or do you need to use FindZlibHash instead?
You can still use it even if it is not the first line. I recommend only using the hash if there is no unique string or if it is too long.

I'm almost finished now, I just need to test it and get it cross-compiling for macOS.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:07 PM   #75
geek1011
Wizard

I have released v0.7.0 with zlib support.
I have implemented the instructions detailed above. For the old format, the instructions are called find_zlib, find_zlib_hash, and replace_zlib.

Please port your old-style zlib patches over and test them. You can post converted patches here. Once they are stable, please post them in this thread.

Also, you can use my new tool, cssextract, to extract the css from nickel with the information needed (offsets, hashes, css, etc) to make the patches for kobopatch.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Also, if you have any suggestions for new zlib instructions, I'd love to know.

Last edited by geek1011; 07-09-2018 at 03:56 PM.

Tags
kobo, kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb