Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 05:53 AM   #1
umiak
umiak began at the beginning.

Device: none
A device for reading and listening

Hello,

I am very new to e-book devices and unfortunately don't know much about them. I'm looking for a device which I could use to read books and listen to audiobooks (I often do these two at a time on my laptop). I commute a lot and think that a mobile, light and pocketable reader would be an excellent way to use the time I spend on various means of transport.
I'd really like one device with big memory (audiobooks usually take up lots of space, for instance the folder for e-books and audiobooks I have on my computer takes up almost 20GB), handling various text and audio formats, and possibly with good battery life.
What would you suggest please?
umiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Kindle 3 (aka Kindle Keyboard now) works well for this if. Amazon owns Audible and you can download your books from the cloud to the K3 easily enough. If you go with the 3G version you will be able to download books from the cloud easily enough in many different places.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You can't download audible books with 3G, you have to use USB, I think. Or, maybe wi-fi.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You can't download audible books with 3G, you have to use USB, I think. Or, maybe wi-fi.
Wifi works to download Audible audiobooks on the KK.

The Kindle Keyboard only has 3 GB of space, so it wouldn't hold very many audiobooks. I don't know if any e-ink readers have card slots for additional storage and the ability to play audiobooks. You might consider a phablet or iPod touch if you don't mind a small screen, or a 7" tablet if you want a larger one.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I don't know if any e-ink readers have card slots for additional storage and the ability to play audiobooks.

I believe the Sony T1 does.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does the T1 have speakers?
Old 11-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #7
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Does the T1 have speakers?
Not according to the specs I've seen, just the headphone jack.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:42 AM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Headphone jack won't be good for listening while driving and I think adding portable speakers would defeat the purpose of a lighter device.

I did not realize that audiobooks only download using the WiFI, thanks for that info. I guess it makes sense, they are so much larger than an ebook that the data cost paid by Amazon would be larger.

I suggest the Kindle Keyboard because the touch Kindles do not have speakers and would not work for you.

You are not going to get light, mobile, 20 GB of space, and good battery life in one device. Your storage requirements probably lend themselves to a 7 inch tablet but you are not going to get great battery life. If you are OK with recharging every day or every other day, An android tablet would work well for you.

If you really want an ereader, you are going to have space issues. There are devices with memory card slots that can handle a larger memory card but having 20 GB of books can really slow down the device (at least that is what I have read).
Old 11-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #9
umiak
umiak began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you very much everyone.

I think I might go for Kindle, but in the meantime I also found a review of another model of it: http://reviews.cnet.com/e-book-reade...-35022792.html
The aticle says that Kindle Touch has got loudspeakers too, so is there any significant difference between Kindle Touch and Kindle Keyboard? If not, then I'd rather have the former for practical reasons: it is smaller.
As to the memory, I think I'll simply delete and copy books on Kindle once I've finished one (I guess with 3GB memory, it will be possible to hold 2-3 books on the hard disc, unless it's a War and Peace type of book).
umiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:04 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle Touch is a much better device, in my view. As you say, it's smaller, and the soft keyboard on the touch screen is much easier to use than the fiddly little rubber keyboard on the KK.

I would sound a note of caution, though, about using any eBook reader as an audio player. The music management capabilities of the Kindle are primitive in the extreme. It would be much, much, better to get a book reader, and a separate MP3 player (they are very inexpensive).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote