Nook tablet "Error Communicating With Device"

I receive the following error whenever I copy something to my Nook Tablet:

calibre, version 0.8.33
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

[Errno 13] Permission denied

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 81, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 354, in _sync_booklists
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 384, in sync_booklists
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 382, in write_prefix
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied

The same also goes for the SDCard upon upgrading to the new version of Calibre. Windows views it perfectly fine.

calibre, version 0.8.39
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Failed to access files on the SD card in your device. This can happen for many reasons. The SD card may be corrupted, it may be too large for your device, it may be write-protected, etc. Try a different SD card, or reformat your SD card using the FAT32 filesystem. Also make sure there are not too many files in the root of your SD card. Underlying error: [Errno 13] Permission denied

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 82, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 319, in _get_device_information
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 120, in get_device_information
IOError: Failed to access files on the SD card in your device. This can happen for many reasons. The SD card may be corrupted, it may be too large for your device, it may be write-protected, etc. Try a different SD card, or reformat your SD card using the FAT32 filesystem. Also make sure there are not too many files in the root of your SD card. Underlying error: [Errno 13] Permission denied

I can, however, manually access my device via windows with no problem and even access files that Calibre says it receives permission denied to access (metadata.calibre).

I currently use Windows 7 and I run calibre as a superuser just in case some of these permission denied issues are related to user privledges. Any help or information regarding the solution to this bug/issue would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by drwhom; 02-16-2012 at 09:09 AM.
drwhom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....n-denied-error
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
drwhom
drwhom began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet
None of the faq situations apply in my case. I made sure of that.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
drwhom
drwhom began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet
Is there a reason windows can access the files but calibrae cannot? Is it a limitation of the python usb access module?
Old 02-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

there is no usb access module. The usb drive is mounted as a standard drive and file access is via standard file system access operations.
Advert
Old 02-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwhom View Post
I can, however, manually access my device via windows with no problem and even access files that Calibre says it receives permission denied to access (metadata.calibre).
When you were checking this did you check that you had write access rather than simply read access?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
raynardo
raynardo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Nook, & Kobo
Strange Nook behavior

When I connect my Nook Simple Touch (their cheapest model - purchased a month ago from Barnes & Noble) to my WIN7 PC to utilize Calibre it ONLY sees files I've copied to the Nook via Calibre, either into the main memory or the microSD card. It NEVER sees file that I've added to the Nook via a downloaded purchase.

Any ideas?

I also have a Kindle as well as a Kobo and neither one of these exhibits this kind of strange behavior.

Last edited by raynardo; 02-24-2012 at 09:35 PM.
raynardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

B&N does not allow purchased books to be accessed via the USB connection
Old 02-25-2012, 01:58 AM   #9
raynardo
raynardo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Nook, & Kobo
A Ha....!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
B&N does not allow purchased books to be accessed via the USB connection
So, I am not crazy afterall!