Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-18-2018, 03:36 PM   #1
lukeoftheaura
Enthusiast
lukeoftheaura began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Calibre "forgetting" what ebooks are on my device

When I transfer ebooks from calibre to my kobo aura HD, all the books transfer fine, but calibre seems to "forget" they're on the device, and doesn't show them as being on it when I plug the device back in. I've no idea what could be causing this problem.
lukeoftheaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:33 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab 2(RIP)
Is the wheel spinning in the lower right corner of calibre?

Did you happen to clean up excess files on your device?
Calibre leaves 2 files on devices to speed up the search for books. You remove those, and it has to do a FULL scan again.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2018, 08:59 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Aura ONE
As well as that, if it is only some books, there is some discussion on this in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=296482.

And if there are any errors being displayed while the connection jobs are run, then we need to know what might be the problem.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:45 AM   #4
lukeoftheaura
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Is the wheel spinning in the lower right corner of calibre?

Did you happen to clean up excess files on your device?
Calibre leaves 2 files on devices to speed up the search for books. You remove those, and it has to do a FULL scan again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As well as that, if it is only some books, there is some discussion on this in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=296482.

And if there are any errors being displayed while the connection jobs are run, then we need to know what might be the problem.
when I connect the device to calibre, with the books on it, the metadata.calibre file only shows the 4 files that are on the device other than the books, and doesn't show the books. If I delete them and then sync again, the same thing. Is this possibly because calibre is trying to use the kobo database rather than it's own, or something?

Last edited by lukeoftheaura; 05-19-2018 at 03:48 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:18 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeoftheaura View Post
when I connect the device to calibre, with the books on it, the metadata.calibre file only shows the 4 files that are on the device other than the books, and doesn't show the books. If I delete them and then sync again, the same thing. Is this possibly because calibre is trying to use the kobo database rather than it's own, or something?
What do you mean doesn't show the books? They aren't in the device list? Or they aren't matching to books in the calibre library? Do they show in the library when using the device? Or are you using KSM and Koreader?

Now, you usually should forget about the metadata.calibre file. Calibre will maintain it as needed. The file is used by calibre to speed up the book matching. If you delete it, then calibre has to do more work the next time you connect the device. But, otherwise, ignore it.

The thread I pointed to has some details about how books on the device are matched to books in the library. If you sent a book to the device, eject the device and let it import the book, when you next connect, the book should be listed in the device list in calibre. And it should show as on the device in the calibre library.

To find books on the device calibre, or, more specifically, the KoboTouch driver, uses the database on the device. If the book hasn't been imported by the device, then the book isn't considered to be on the device. If something goes wrong with the import, the book won't be seen on the next connection. And the same goes if you bypass the Kobo software and use KoReader or something else.
Advert
Old 05-19-2018, 03:45 PM   #6
lukeoftheaura
Enthusiast

Quote:
What do you mean doesn't show the books? They aren't in the device list? Or they aren't matching to books in the calibre library? Do they show in the library when using the device? Or are you using KSM and Koreader?

Now, you usually should forget about the metadata.calibre file. Calibre will maintain it as needed. The file is used by calibre to speed up the book matching. If you delete it, then calibre has to do more work the next time you connect the device. But, otherwise, ignore it.

The thread I pointed to has some details about how books on the device are matched to books in the library. If you sent a book to the device, eject the device and let it import the book, when you next connect, the book should be listed in the device list in calibre. And it should show as on the device in the calibre library.

To find books on the device calibre, or, more specifically, the KoboTouch driver, uses the database on the device. If the book hasn't been imported by the device, then the book isn't considered to be on the device. If something goes wrong with the import, the book won't be seen on the next connection. And the same goes if you bypass the Kobo software and use KoReader or something else.
I'm using KSM and koreader, the books aren't showing as being on the device in calibre. I can go into nickel just to transfer books but it's a bit of a pain to do. Is there a way to have calibre read/write to a file from calibre or plato or something instead of the nickel database?

Last edited by lukeoftheaura; 05-19-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:33 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Glo HD, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The books on device is derived from the database which is only updated via Nickel; the two calibre files serve a totally different purpose.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:24 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm using KSM and koreader, the books aren't showing as being on the device in calibre. I can go into nickel just to transfer books but it's a bit of a pain to do. Is there a way to have calibre read/write to a file from calibre or plato or something instead of the nickel database?
As I stated above, the KoboTouch driver uses the database on the device to see what books are on the device. It is designed to work with the device, not some extra software you put on it. The driver does things like get and update collections and understands some things about how books are treated.

If you want to use KSM and Koreader instead, then I recommend disabling the KoboTouch driver and either using "Connect to folder" or the user defined driver. Either will treat the device as a simple MSD and do file scans to find books on the device.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:35 AM   #9
lukeoftheaura
Enthusiast

Quote:
As I stated above, the KoboTouch driver uses the database on the device to see what books are on the device. It is designed to work with the device, not some extra software you put on it. The driver does things like get and update collections and understands some things about how books are treated.

If you want to use KSM and Koreader instead, then I recommend disabling the KoboTouch driver and either using "Connect to folder" or the user defined driver. Either will treat the device as a simple MSD and do file scans to find books on the device.
Thanks, disabling the kobotouch plugin seems to have worked, and it now scans as I want it to.

EDIT: now it's claiming it's ignoring the device. How would I fix this? (Is there a way to specifically tell calibre to NOT ignore a device even when the driver is disabled?

Last edited by lukeoftheaura; 05-20-2018 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:40 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks, disabling the kobotouch plugin seems to have worked, and it now scans as I want it to.

EDIT: now it's claiming it's ignoring the device. How would I fix this? (Is there a way to specifically tell calibre to NOT ignore a device even when the driver is disabled?
You need to have a driver that will handle the device. And I actually mentioned two ways to do this in my post.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:19 AM   #11
lukeoftheaura
Enthusiast

Quote:
You need to have a driver that will handle the device. And I actually mentioned two ways to do this in my post.
I specified the user defined driver, now it's working perfectly, thank you.