Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-30-2018, 11:38 AM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
How bad is the PRS-700?

The old Sony hardware is beautiful. I have a 505, but want to try a Sony with touchscreen and light. I've found a 700 for $30 and want to try it. But have heard very few good things about the 700.

It's tough to find screenshots of the reader with the frontlight on, but I know it is very poor. But how is the rest of the reading experience? And as poor as the frontlight was, is it at least useable?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Let me dig mine out and charge it up and see if I can get a good pic of the reader with the light on. I don't recall it being very pleasant to read on with the light on.

Editing to add that I paid less than $30 for mine. If you watch shopgoodwill.com, they turn up on there occasionally. I snagged mine for about $20 shipped.

Last edited by Hemmi; 03-30-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2018, 08:23 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Very bad.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...hlight=PRS-700 has a link to a review (uhhh...I didn't check it to see if it actually still works, though).

Last edited by FizzyWater; 03-30-2018 at 08:26 PM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:07 PM   #4
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The screen is very glarey like on the 900. It does not have the nice screen like on the 350 and T series. It is a nice metal body, not plastic. Charges via a charger, not via USB.

I don't know how to do pics in forum posts so I uploaded some to an album in my profile. First, no light. The screen is much clearer in the picture than it actually is. I can see my reflection in it. Second pic is the light on low. It does not light evenly. Lights from each side and leaves the middle kinda dark. Third pic is the light on high setting. You can see specks of dust trapped between the layers of the glass.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:09 PM   #5
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer

I also tried reading on it with the light on in a dark room. You could actually do that but the screen is light so unevenly I wouldn't want to read for very long.
Advert
Old 03-30-2018, 11:19 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Not very good. Ironically, it seems clearer without the light than does the 600 or 900. I've posted a couple pictures from the 700 (at the high light position, taken in the dark) compared to your 505 with the lighted case (I found one). If you still want the 700 ($30 is too much I think), there's one selling on Mercari.com for $20 (including shipping).

https://item.mercari.com/gl/m60455990960/

I should add, the build is very nice. It's fairly heavy, but not as heavy as the 505 with lighted case. Mine, apparently, has a weak battery – and it looks like a pain to replace as shield in front of the screen has to be carefully pried off (it's glued). It doesn't appear to be difficult to find the battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180330_221124.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	965.6 KB
ID:	163179   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180330_221141.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	163180   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180330_221353.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	163181  

Last edited by rcentros; 03-30-2018 at 11:24 PM.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:25 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I also tried reading on it with the light on in a dark room. You could actually do that but the screen is light so unevenly I wouldn't want to read for very long.
I'll take a look at yours. Probably better pictures. Mine are just taken with my Blackberry Q10.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:47 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I don't know how to do pics in forum posts
Just click on the paperclip and upload images – they won't show up in your message until you post. If you're not quoting the person you're responding to, you'll have to click "Advanced Options" to find the paperclip icon.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2018, 03:19 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Thanks for the pics guys. It's a shame Sony's one lighted reader is so bad.

I noticed that neither of the groups of pics seem to have justification or hyphenation. I thought later versions of Sony's O/S offered that?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:53 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Thanks for the pics guys. It's a shame Sony's one lighted reader is so bad.

I noticed that neither of the groups of pics seem to have justification or hyphenation. I thought later versions of Sony's O/S offered that?
I'm not certain, but I think you have to go to the x50 series to get justification. I don't know if Sony Readers ever had hyphenation (which, for me, is a plus).

EDIT: It looks like the T3 hyphenated ...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=231099

Last edited by rcentros; 04-01-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:44 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm not certain, but I think you have to go to the x50 series to get justification. I don't know if Sony Readers ever had hyphenation (which, for me, is a plus).

EDIT: It looks like the T3 hyphenated ...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=231099
The only Sony Reader that used a new enough RMSDK that supported hyphenation was the T3. The x50 was the first line of Sony Readers that supported full justification with ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:46 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 700 is a waste of $30. It's a lousy design and the screen is awful because of the light layer. It's not niceto read with. It's a POS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote