Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-09-2015, 11:33 AM   #1
toothless
toothless began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Kindle PW3 5.6.5 reset after jailbreak

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Kindle PW3 with firmware v5.6.5 and jailbreaked it using the serial method explained excellently in this article: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=267541

Everything worked fine, however I could not open any books that I had on my Kindle. I removed all the books and uploaded them to the Kindle again, but they were not getting detected. I finally had to reset the device, and that got the books detecting again. I however seem to have lost the jailbreak. When I uploaded and opened the KUAL azw2 file I got an error saying that it is not running on an approved test device.

I had usbnetwork installed before I reset the device and was accessing the shell prompt using that. But that method is no longer accessible either.

My question is, do I have to open the kindle again to get the shell? I don't mind doing it but would prefer if I didn't have to.
toothless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:58 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Doing a "Reset to factory defaults" is hazardous to anything non-factory that is installed on the Kindle.

The jail break **should not** effect the 'books showing up'.
At least as long as no serious mistakes where made in the process.

You may have still been running the 'diags' OS rather than the 'main' OS (Kindles are dual-boot devices).

You could try the 'hotfix' but I don't think it will 'fix' a reset to factory defaults action.

Most likely, you have to manually re-install the jail break.
Then re-boot the device **without** the Kindle's USB cable connected to anything.
Then try the "can I see my books" test again.

If you have trouble, stop at exactly that point and re-post here what you have done and what has happened.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
And check the FAQ in the JB thread, there's a link to the recovery procedure after a factory reset.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:34 AM   #4
toothless

Thanks for your comments. I ended up opening the Kindle again and reinstalled the jailbreak (sh jb.sh). I then put in a custom reginfo file and copied KUAL to the device. This time KUAL opened correctly, but again when I tried to open any book I got the following message:

An error occurred. If you purchased this item from Amazon, delete the item and download it from the Cloud

I then tried deleting the reginfo file and the books opened properly! So the problem was occurring due the reginfo file.

Does anyone know why putting in the custom reginfo gave that error? Also how do I register the Kindle without connecting it to the internet? (My Wifi is broken so I cannot connect the Kindle to the internet, but I want to use the collections).
Old 12-11-2015, 08:41 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Contact customer service.
But you will have to fix the Wifi to allow the Kindle to update its local settings.

Note: You are the second person to report that the old 'fake register' directions do not work with the 5.6.x firmware.
Advert
Old 12-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #6
toothless

Yup I'll do that as soon as my Wifi is fixed. And yes I read about the other person having problems with the reginfo file on 5.6.5 too. I am happy to run tests and report back for the community if required.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #7
bt4wang
bt4wang began at the beginning.

Device: none
Same fake register problem.
Hope there could be some other method I can try.
bt4wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:20 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt4wang View Post
Same fake register problem.
Hope there could be some other method I can try.
Register the device, and then inspect what that file contains.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:44 PM   #9
bt4wang
bt4wang began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Register the device, and then inspect what that file contains.
I just got a jailbreaked kpw3, with 5.6.5 firmware. the reginfo file from this device has an additional line rather than the old file, that is:

Code:
userId=amzn1.account.AELYKWHKYPUES5EHXXXXXXXXXXXX
p.s. I've replaced the last 12 letters for privacy reason.

p.p.s. I've dumped main_kernel/diags_kernel/mmcblk0p1/mmcblk0p2 from this device(diags password has changed to mario, main password has been removed, already jailbreaked). I can share these files if you want.
bt4wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:25 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

We have those, now.

Too bad you didn't come by a few weeks ago, I could have avoided taking mine apart.

Hmm...
The serial number format changed with the PW-3, may be related to their dropping the computed password.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:35 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothless View Post
- - - -
when I tried to open any book I got the following message:

An error occurred. If you purchased this item from Amazon, delete the item and download it from the Cloud [which requires registration]

I then tried deleting the [fake] reginfo file and the books opened properly!
So the problem was occurring due to the [fake] reginfo file.
- - - -
Oh, Sweet!!
So much for "voluntarily" agreeing to Amazon's EULA.
(Readers have probably noticed the 'note' during the registration process, that if you register the device, you agree to the EULA.)

NOW -
The device is useless unless you agree to the EULA.
Avoiding the 'forced' agreement to the EULA was (is) one of the valid reasons for a 'fake registration' file.

(There should be a law against that, and there probably is, somewhere.
Durn! I do wish I had the money to take those people to court!)

There are limits to the amount of interference with the ownership and use of a personal electronics device **THIS** person (myself) will stand!

For myself, that includes automobiles that 'call home' with way too much information for my taste. I have also disabled that in my (big corporation name) car (I took its antenna connection away - my vehicle is always in a 'no signal' zone ).

# 88 66

Last edited by knc1; 01-19-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:33 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Please do not do that.
People who are trying to help you do not need to be reminded.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:20 AM   #13
mank
mank began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3 2015
Has anyone successfully done a Fake registration?

I am using PW3 on 5.6.5.
mank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:02 AM   #14
Lebenita
Lebenita began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Glo HD
Disable Whispersync

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothless View Post
I then put in a custom reginfo file and copied KUAL to the device. This time KUAL opened correctly, but again when I tried to open any book I got the following message:

An error occurred. If you purchased this item from Amazon, delete the item and download it from the Cloud

I then tried deleting the reginfo file and the books opened properly! So the problem was occurring due the reginfo file.
The same happened to me after installing a reginfo file on 5.8.5. I found that after disabling Whispersync (in 5.8.5: Settings > Device options > Advanced options), I could open the books again.
Lebenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebenita View Post
The same happened to me after installing a reginfo file on 5.8.5. I found that after disabling Whispersync (in 5.8.5: Settings > Device options > Advanced options), I could open the books again.
Nice find.

I never noticed because I always have WhisperSync disabled.