Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
styt
styt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
LRF conversion fails (to mobi)

Several books in .lrf format fail while converting to .mobi. The conversions justs stops after several minutes during "Generating XML" with no further error message. I have tried different output formats as well with the same result. 7 books out of 18 fails with the same error and the rest are successful. I can open all of them successfully with the viewer inside calibre.

Thanks
styt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by styt View Post
Several books in .lrf format fail while converting to .mobi. The conversions justs stops after several minutes during "Generating XML" with no further error message.
You're going to have to provide the job details log. Typically if a error message wasn't generated that means the conversion is still being processed.

Quote:
I have tried different output formats as well with the same result.
If a book is going to take a long time to convert it won't make much difference which output you choose.

Quote:
7 books out of 18 fails with the same error and the rest are successful. I can open all of them successfully with the viewer inside calibre.
I thought you indicated above that there was no generated error? You can open the original LRF file? I think you have to let the conversion continue.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre's LRF input plugin only handles a very limited subset of LRF books, books that were created by calibre and that don't use too many levels of recursion internally. That's not going to change as LRF is a dead format and I have no motivation to spend more time on it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
styt
styt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
You're going to have to provide the job details log. Typically if a error message wasn't generated that means the conversion is still being processed.
I have attached my log files. The conversion stops but no error is written to the log file.

Quote:
If a book is going to take a long time to convert it won't make much difference which output you choose.
I tried several outputs just make sure the .mobi was not the problem.

Quote:
I thought you indicated above that there was no generated error? You can open the original LRF file? I think you have to let the conversion continue.
I can open the lrf file in the viewer. Calibre prompts that the conversion fails but nothing more even if I run in debug mode. See attached file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre's LRF input plugin only handles a very limited subset of LRF books, books that were created by calibre and that don't use too many levels of recursion internally. That's not going to change as LRF is a dead format and I have no motivation to spend more time on it.
I am not sure what this means. I have a bunch, 17 files and 7 fails and 10 i successful but how can I tell the difference between the files?

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: txt tmpfyropj.txt (5.8 KB, 231 views)
File Type: rtf ErrorMessage.rtf (373.6 KB, 270 views)
File Type: txt ErrorLog.txt (2.7 KB, 237 views)
styt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I have attached my log files. The conversion stops but no error is written to the log file.
Thanks for showing us the logs. Definitely a failure.

Quote:
I am not sure what this means.
This means if the lrf file was created by calibre (say from any other format) then the current version of calibre will convert the book. If the lrf was created by Book Designer or other application then there is no guarantee that calibre will convert the file.

The reason for this is due to calibre being geared, through version 0.5.??, to convert files to lrf in support of Sony readers, not to other versions. With 0.6 LRF was retired by Sony and calibre looked forward to other formats.

Quote:
I have a bunch, 17 files and 7 fails and 10 i successful but how can I tell the difference between the files?
I don't know of any way to tell, except to say anything that fails wasn't created by calibre. Best bet is to find another source for your failed conversions.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-02-2011 at 07:21 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
lrf, mobi, mobi conversion