Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 07-10-2015, 05:08 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question KF HDX deregistered itself

scary experience this morning, I disconnect from overnight charge & wake up the fire tablet to be greeted with "please register" + all my apps gone from home screen.

I did that thing & also want via mayday for help getting it back as it was, ( after re-registering I was seeing lots of greyed-out icons) but they had no explanation for it losing settings. I thought maybe an overnight software update but tablet is saying that its software was last updated a month ago ?

so no lasting harm - my sideloaded apps like google chrome are still there, and other apps seem to have retained their data - but still a tad worrying.

google offers no obvious explanation of why Kindle device should suddenly "forget" it's registration overnight ( while plugged into an amazon wall charger)
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:40 AM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

update: an hour later it had deregistered again. Mayday, this time around, had me do a hold power button for many seconds reset, *& so far so good.
they will monitor and call me back tomorrow. Last resort will be a complete factory reset and lose all sideloads, all passwords etc.

if it keeps happening I think I can negotiate an out-of-warranty trade in /trade up for a new one. google tells me I am not the only sufferer but offers no guaranteed fix.
Advert
Old 07-11-2015, 12:53 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard

update 2, for anyone following the saga. seems amazon had an "isse" - see their message to me below. My device is OK after it's overnight sleep and I cannot find anything via google about a general outage.
I did find that email settings and contacts were all lost in this process, as was parental control password for purchases, and auto-backup ON has reset ot OFF. but all other apps' settings seem good.

I also had many greyed out icons after the registration loss, Mayday had me fix it st time buy deregister - sync all, re-register, but google found a better solution for 2nd time. Just run a free app called clean master from their store.

This is xxxxx from Amazon Kindle.

Further to our previous correspondance regarding your Kindle de-registering from your account, we have been notified by our technical team that they are aware are of the issue, we are working to fix this problem as quickly as possible.

I have just asked if they will tell me what they found & fixed... we'll see.
and a whinge to CS about the overall hassle got me an extra free month of amazon prime.

Overall, despite there being a bug. the help and speed of Amazon's response is most impressive. I dread to think how this would have played out with an out of warranty Kobo device