Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-09-2021, 09:39 AM   #1
what
Enthusiast
what began at the beginning.

Device: none
Amazon: Cover image should be 72dpi and 300ppi

In their guide on how to create an ebook cover, Amazon tell us that the cover image should be 72 dpi and 300 ppi (see attached image). Now how does that work? And what should I really choose?

(I do understand the difference between dpi and ppi and have no idea why Amazon use ppi to refer to images displayed on screen.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	72dpi_vs_300ppi.png
Views:	276
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	185840  
what is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:51 PM   #2
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen
I would just ignore the dpi/ppi and build to the pixel dimensions listed in the dimensions section. My best guess is that they're making a distinction between min res (72dpi) and best res (300+ ppi). But their documentation overall seems to have an often-confusing mix of digital and print specs, as is further shown in your screenshot where they've made sure to also point out that your ebook cover should not contain separations, something that would only actually happen for print (decades ago).
phillipgessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:41 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipgessert View Post
I would just ignore the dpi/ppi and build to the pixel dimensions listed in the dimensions section. My best guess is that they're making a distinction between min res (72dpi) and best res (300+ ppi). But their documentation overall seems to have an often-confusing mix of digital and print specs, as is further shown in your screenshot where they've made sure to also point out that your ebook cover should not contain separations, something that would only actually happen for print (decades ago).
I think their instructions are the equivalent of an e-book that hasn't had "This book printed on 100% recycled paper." stripped out.

dpi and ppi are meaningless without spatial dimensions. I have never seen a JPEG image with either spatial dimensions or spatial resolution in its metadata, if it even has metadata.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:05 AM   #4
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
A print cover must be 300 dots per inch, and a "dot" is the same as a pixel. Assuming a book 5.5x8.5 inches, the jpeg for the front cover as uploaded to KDP Print Cover Creator should be 1687.5 pixels (well, make it 1688) by 2625 pixels.

That works fine for the ebook, too. Just trim off the 0.125 inch extra on the top, right side, and bottom of the image.

For purposes of KDP, a dot is a pixel is a dot.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote