Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-02-2020, 04:35 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The firmware to add KF8 to the K3/KK was released in September 2012 no later then the 14th.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:51 PM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The firmware to add KF8 to the K3/KK was released in September 2012 no later then the 14th.
Thanks, Jon. My son upgraded to a PW4 and I got and upgraded his K3/KK and then later replace the battery. I was fairly sure it didn't do KF8 when I got it early this year. He'd got it in late 2010 or early 2011 and obviously not got the 2012 update. It's more useful as an ereader than my DXG.
Between its two modes, the PW3 three modes and the DXG brain dead rendering I have a decent selection of Kindles to test on. Serious reading is on the Kobo Libra as seemed a good upgrade from the original H2O (which is out on loan to a proofreader).

So a 2008 model doing KFX or Enhanced typesetting seems unlikely. Unless it's a 2018 model.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:56 PM   #18
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
A Paperwhite 3 will certainly manage KFX and Enhanced Typesetting. Not sure what the earliest model would be.
AFAIK, the oldest Kindle model that supports KFX (with the latest firmware) is the 6th generation Kindle Paperwhite (AKA Paperwhite 2), which was released in 2013.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:57 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks, Jon. My son upgraded to a PW4 and I got and upgraded his K3/KK and then later replace the battery. I was fairly sure it didn't do KF8 when I got it early this year. He'd got it in late 2010 or early 2011 and obviously not got the 2012 update. It's more useful as an ereader than my DXG.
Between its two modes, the PW3 three modes and the DXG brain dead rendering I have a decent selection of Kindles to test on. Serious reading is on the Kobo Libra as seemed a good upgrade from the original H2O (which is out on loan to a proofreader).

So a 2008 model doing KFX or Enhanced typesetting seems unlikely. Unless it's a 2018 model.
The DX/DXG was a botch job by Amazon just as the 1st gen iPad was a botch job. I don't understand why anyone would buy a DXG these days if any are fount to put on sale. I think it's a total waste of money.

Given the age of KF8 firmware for the K3/KK, I'm wondering what's different with K8 in the current firmware other then more fonts and custom fonts.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:14 PM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:

I'm laughing, because I'm pretty damn sure that this entire discussion was created solely because Odamizu used the publishing date that Amazon indicated--2008--which is obviously wrong for the eBook. I mean, sure, it could have been an INCREDIBLY early adopter, but the reality is, 99% of all self-pubs on Amazon started in 2010, not 2008.

Anyway...now that I know more about early Kindles than I ever wanted to, I surrender the field of battle, my little

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:16 PM   #21
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
This thread is about a book published in 2008. It is not about a Kindle device.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:14 PM   #22
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
This thread is about a book published in 2008. It is not about a Kindle device.
As the OP, let me just say: ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:49 AM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
As the OP, let me just say: ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑
Well,dude or dudette, y'know, people have been locked up and locked down for nearly the duration of an entire pregnancy, and we're all getting pretty bonkers and pretty bored. I'm sure you can forgive the short diversion from the topic.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:31 AM   #24
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well,dude or dudette, y'know, people have been locked up and locked down for nearly the duration of an entire pregnancy, and we're all getting pretty bonkers and pretty bored. I'm sure you can forgive the short diversion from the topic.

Hitch
Twenty lashes with a wet noodle for not staying on topic!
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 12:33 PM   #25
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Duh!
Slaps own head with a wet haddock!

Publish date of the book!

Well, obviously I didn't understand the OP, I'm getting stupid.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 01:09 PM   #26
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Twenty lashes with a wet noodle for not staying on topic!
I don't mind threads going off topic. pdurrant and jhowell answered my question in the first two replies, after which, feel free to go off on whatever tangent you like.

I just wanted to say that my original question was about a book published in 2008 — and that date is correct, not a typo — and it's not about a Kindle device from any era
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote