Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-17-2020, 12:41 PM   #46
georgemk
Connoisseur
georgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: nook Simple Touch with Glowlight
@chaley

Luckily for me I only 2 tasks enabled in the startup tab. (trackballworks and Windows Security Notification Icon)

And after 2 reboots where I disabled one, still no change regardless of which 1 is disabled.
georgemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:51 PM   #47
chaley
Grumpy old git
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemk View Post
@chaley

Luckily for me I only 2 tasks enabled in the startup tab. (trackballworks and Windows Security Notification Icon)

And after 2 reboots where I disabled one, still no change regardless of which 1 is disabled.
I am getting worried that it might be malware or other corruption. I suggest you verify the windows installation. The tools to do that are sfc and dism. One usually starts with dism then uses sfc once dism declares that the install files are OK.

This guide should help.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2020, 12:51 PM   #48
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
@chaley

Where are you seeing those startup items? In Task Manager/Startup?

One suggestion is to run MSConfig. Under the Services tab, hide all Microsoft services. Check to see if any of the non-Microsoft services is disabled. If so, make a note of those services for later. Click on disable all. Restart your computer and see if ctrl-R to restart calibre now works. This will let you know if a Microsoft service is the cause of your issue. You can now use MSConfig to re-enable all the non-Microsoft services and then re-disable any that were previously disabled.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:01 PM   #49
ownedbycats
Guru
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Personally, I find MiTeC's Task Manager DeLuxe a useful thing for troubleshooting things like this.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:32 PM   #50
georgemk
Connoisseur
georgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I am getting worried that it might be malware or other corruption. I suggest you verify the windows installation. The tools to do that are sfc and dism. One usually starts with dism then uses sfc once dism declares that the install files are OK.
DISM was clear and SFC found a few errors where some items Start Menu files (not Calibre) had security ownership issue. Now fixed.

So clean.
And had no impact on the issue at hand. Unfortunately.

@DNSB

I have a look tomorrow at this and will compare what runs in safe mode to normal mode to see which services aren't running in safe mode. Then I'll disable non Microsoft services to see if that is an issue.
Advert
Old 10-18-2020, 04:59 AM   #51
georgemk
Connoisseur

Right well I disabled all the non Microsoft services, rebooted and it made zero difference.

However the discovery that Calibre will always restart when you click the restart button in the Plugins dialog box does mean that there is a different code path for that restart compared to the keyboard restart or Preference menu. I had a look at the code but don't understand the code flow.

I'm leaving it here as it isn't essential but at least others will find this thread when searching should they have the same issue.

I'll just have to add a plugin if I want to restart

Last edited by georgemk; 10-18-2020 at 05:00 AM. Reason: fix spelling
Old 10-18-2020, 05:30 AM   #52
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Right well I disabled all the non Microsoft services, rebooted and it made zero difference.

However the discovery that Calibre will always restart when you click the restart button in the Plugins dialog box does mean that there is a different code path for that restart compared to the keyboard restart or Preference menu. I had a look at the code but don't understand the code flow.

I'm leaving it here as it isn't essential but at least others will find this thread when searching should they have the same issue.

Try flipping one of the settings in Preferences->Look & Feel that requires a restart e.g. Show layout buttons in the status bar (needs restart)

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:13 AM   #53
georgemk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Try flipping one of the settings in Preferences->Look & Feel that requires a restart e.g. Show layout buttons in the status bar (needs restart)

BR
That also restarts successfully.

So it is the keystroke method, the Preferences Debug menu and the restart icon on the toolbar that do not restart.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:29 AM   #54
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, it's the exact same code path. Restart happens in gui2/main.py and there only, all the various restart methods simply set a flag that code checks.

Quote:

kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:11 AM   #55
georgemk
Connoisseur

Well the end result is different so the question must be why. Basically when Calibre asks me to click restart, it does; when I ask, it doesn't.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:15 AM   #56
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since its not restarting because something on your computer is stopping it, the question is why is that something behaving differently.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:39 AM   #57
georgemk
Connoisseur

I cannot say why it behaves differently. Only that it does.

I appreciate that as you cannot reproduce it, it is impossible for you to go further.

It's not a show stopper in terms of functionality, just a curio.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:31 AM   #58
compurandom
Fanatic
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
It still could be a race condition caused by background tasks made worse by low memory. Maybe when calibre asks to restart, the background tasks are in a state where they can exit quickly. Safe mode helps because there's less stuff loaded in memory, it's not any specific thing.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:23 PM   #59
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

there's no race left. The namedpipe that is generating the error is now closed before even launching the new child process. it doesnt matter how long the parent process takes to exit.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:47 PM   #60
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If Ctrl+r and Shift+Ctrl+r are okay in Safe mode but not in Normal mode, that suggests to me that is there something running in Normal mode, that is not running in Safe mode. Something that acts on, but doesn't consume the key sequences.

You can get a list of current processes as a CSV via the command line or powershell ==>> Windows Tip: 3 Ways to Print A List of Running Processes

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote